Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurassic World 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, we're just going to lampshade the ridiculous premise eh? JC the whole Raptor Whisperer thing is so dumb, but it's all played so earnestly I wanna puke.

Is lampshading some young person's speak I'm unaware of, or did that autocorrect from lampoon? 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha 😆 lampshading is when you avoid dealing with something incredibly stupid in your story ... by having your character(s) point out how incredibly stupid it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This looks awful.

I think the problem is that all the main actors survive always. And turn up in sequels and survive again.. There is no fear or logic here for a monster movie.

And the women are screaming in such a sexist and annoying way. And the roles, clothing, script, jokes ... stereotypical and bland.

And once you've seen one CGI dinosaur you've seen them all.

Aliens it is not. 😊

I think at this stage the series has become trapped in its own mediocrity and status as a "generic blockbuster": the law of Hollywood dictates this must be a crowd-pleasing, Four Quadrant blockbuster and the end products have all had the same inert, lifeless pulse about them. Any vague hint towards a personality sanded off to a bland result. Fallen Kingdom IMO skirted very close to going pleasingly nuts and gonzo; I had the most fun when the film just had that B Movie feel to it, Dinosaur auction n' all. But then we kept circling back to Generic Star Chris Pratt earnestly posing.

Feel like in another universe, the Jurassic Park series dropped a level into a series of DVD/VoD sequels and there the inherently ludicrous premise was allowed to go hog wild cos there wasn't the same studio oversight/interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It has the original cast back which can only improve it.

• Advertisement

Jesus lads. Trikes in Mayo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You wonder how they got on to an Island. Don't think anyone in Ireland could afford the prices at the auction either.

Post edited by irishgeo on

The whole premise needs a far goofier tone to get over that mental hurdle. They should have kept the scope of the film to a ring fenced part of the US; a "no go" area of wilderness where dinosaurs took over. But no, let's go BIG!! says Hollywood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Cowboys Ted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is getting atrocious reviews in many quarters - to the point where it’s relatively rare for a well-oiled, ultra-safe Hollywood blockbuster be singled out as particularly bad.

The series needs its own extinction event at this stage.

That's one big pile of 💩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I've never really been a fan of the Jurassic World franchise (although I did like the first half of Jurassic World) but my interest in Dominion is massively increased by the presence of the original trio, which itself is pretty much proof that their inclusion is a marketing gimmick. I'll see it this weekend and if at least half of it is someway entertaining, I'll consider it a pass.

Yeah but it'll make 1 billion anyway and we'll have another round of the tedious "what do the critics know?" argument, a percentage point thrown around like it's a cudgel.

And anyway, were any of us expecting more from Colin Trevorrow? How does a studio look at the man SACKED from Episode IX and think "he's the man to helm this movie!!"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Heading to see this morning...expectations are low...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Ditto. Have tickets booked for tomorrow and after scanning the reviews on RT its safe to say I'm not exactly bristling with anticipation. Seems to be a wall to wall negative reception which means its either good and theres a collective attempt to bring the film and studio down (for whatever reasons) or its actually as bad as everyone is making out. I fear it could be the latter. Anyhoo I'll check it out and report back tomorrow......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I find it hilarious that Trevorrow always claimed the other films were just to set up getting to this point, as this was what he wanted to make. And by all accounts it stinks.

I didn't like JW, and think Trevorrow is a bit of a hack. This looks to prove it. His ep IX treatment was viewed with such positivity I think because what came of the franchise truly sucked, and anything would have been better.

Was it? The Episode IX treatment I mean? Been a while but I recall it being widely derided as no better than the Abrams script.

To be fair to Trevorrow, the press junket circuit must be a tedious slog, being asked the same inane questions 10 times over for ... I dunno, Horse and Hound. I'd probably start prattling stuff about interconnectivity after a while too 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I recall Trevorrow’s SW treatment getting a lot of credit for seeming like he actually watched episodes 7 and 8, though that may have been more due to the influence of LF’s continuity committee which Abrams apparently ignored - a shame because if anyone ever needed a continuity committee to guide his writing it’s Abrams.

I agree about Trevorrow being a hack. I think we’ll see him return to making indie movies after this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From what I’ve read it seems Dodgson - yes, that one scene character from Jurassic Park - is shoehorned into this as the main villain, albeit with a different actor because the original actor is persona non grata (with good cause).

Another example of a series disappearing up its own lore. The simplicity of the original Jurassic Park is a key reason for why it’s so perfect (Spielberg at the peak of his creative abilities didn’t hurt, of course!) - rarely has any franchise seemed so creatively doomed the minute it tried to expand, let alone when the writers started adding convoluted lore, vast corporate conspiracies and all manner of additional sci-fi silliness on top of it all.

I wonder what is going on that Blockbusters seem so ... overwritten these days. Convoluted without actually being that smart. Simple A to B narratives apparently not the done thing anymore.

Is it perhaps all the PreVis, or similar, where the movies already have their set-pieces locked in and the scripts are just trying desperately to thread it all together - minus any actual writing talent to make sense of it all?

Nevermind Jurassic Park; you look at 1993's top 10 grossing movies for the US, and even its most bone-headed entry, the slightly under-appreciated Cliffhanger, has a more coherent, linear nuts & bolts script than a lot of what passes for blockbusters now. There's also not a single sequel or reboot in that list either, which is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just out...Christ that was a mess...a mish mash of scenes that barely hung together. A simple plot.

The highlight was the original Jurassic park trio, really lovely little scenes. Some of the sets were cool and individual scenes were fun, don't want to spoilt but most are in trailer.

Some of the acting was genuinely dreadful.

Maybe worth a 4 or 5 out of 10.

The original is probably my most watched film of all time and is still a stone cold classic. Time to stop now. No doubt it will make a tonne so they will find another way to spin it off.

The Tim cook like villain I got the name link to the first film...but meh...poor.

The kid Maisy... absolutely awful every single scene.

Pound land Issa Rae the pilot...useless zero motivation for her actions.

Chris Pratt bland and Bryce Dallas Howard similar they are both capable in the right role.

Some of the CGI was awful, their is one scene with a raptor was so poorly done it looked like stop motion.

What were they going with the globe trotting James bond thing...it didn't work..bar some of the crow barred action scenes...the camp villain in the cape..Jesus don't get me started.

Too many scenes aping or directly referencing past films, rather than doing their own thing with this film. Very few ideas, we don't have to end almost every one of the films with a t Rex winning/losing a fight...to save the main characters.

The constant hand holding out thing with raptors give me a break...

Some good dinos I will say...I did like birdyKruger!

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Jurassic World was such a pile of **** that I didn’t even bother see Fallen Kingdom, I knew it would just annoy me. This instalment looks even more ridiculous so doubt I’ll bother.

This bloated series is purely coasting on the nostalgia for the first films. They’re far too self aware, with all the little nudges and references to the first film. Much as I adore Jurassic Park even I found it cheap and tiresome. Bringing back the original trio another cheap tactic.

So so sick of massive budget reboots and sequels. I know the studios are only interested in making money but Jesus Christ can we not have something original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Thread for the first Jurassic World from 6 years ago. Looks like things haven’t progressed at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Same as you. Saw jurassic world and it was a bit meh alright. Was what it was but didn't make me wanna watch fallen kingdom. So I didn't. Looking at the trailer for this and I can't put my finger on it but just looks crap.

Thought I was in the minority but interesting reading the comments so far. Does seem like garbage.

So realistically, Camp Cretaceous is the best recent thing in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There's no spectacle to it anymore. You were never going to be able to replicate the moment from original movie where they first see the dinosaurs. The franchise is treating it's mvp with less and less respect, there's no tease, no glimpses, no mystery, just dinosaurs front and centre.

I remember in the era of aintitcool's height, there was a Gonzo script for a JP sequel going around (by who I can't recall), where raptors were turned into soldiers of the government, each having a corresponding soldier on which the dinos imprinted. It supposedly just ran with the whole insanity of the idea, a full blown action film with dinosaurs as a K9 stand-in.

Also easy to forget, the original novel by Michael Crichton was very dark, very adult and gory IIRC. Every edge has been sanded off this franchise - even Spielberg's movies remembered to make encounters with Dino's dangerous. The concept SHOULD be treated as something more terrifying than it is, especially if as in this sequel, the dinosaurs are among us.

Also easy to forget, the original novel by Michael Crichton was very dark, very adult and gory IIRC. Every edge has been sanded off this franchise - even Spielberg's movies remembered to make encounters with Dino's dangerous. The concept SHOULD be treated as something more terrifying than it is, especially if as in this sequel, the dinosaurs are among us.

This! There's no jeopardy. They've managed to make dinosaurs boring. DINOSAURS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Like I haven't seen this but there's a moment in the trailer where Pratt's character makes a promise to a dinosaur that he'll get her offspring back (I can't believe I just typed that). They make a joke of it later on but that just makes it so much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah I'd have to agree with all of the above comments, it's poor. I mean its not terrible, I've seen way worse, but for all the money and resources thrown into making something like this you'd expect it would be better. I lost interest after a while and it overstays its welcome by a good bit. Couldn't really differentiate this film from the previous one......which was also poor. Chris pratt and Bryce dallas Howard seem bored, Jeff Goldblum is his usual oddball self but Sam neill is very good, he's like a fine wine he just gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its a 2 and half hour film that genuinely runs out of things to do well before the credits to the point that when the climax hits you don't realise its the climax because its so undercooked (not to mention they had force any sort of conflict in the finale really awkwardly)

There are wild character flips on how they've been playing some characters (not a fan of how they turned Henry Wu into a Dr. Frankenstein in the last 2 movies but its a complete 180 in this one without explanation) The new trilogy cast continues to be the most boring group, the villain is the most unusual interpretation of a villain since Batman vs Superman's Luthor (in very much the same style in a lot of ways ape a real world billionaire but they're also doing a bond villain plot)

The only good is the occasional fun dinosaur scene, and really I feel there are only 2 in the whole film and they are oddly back to back, a bizarre and terrifying encounter with a Therizinosaurus which is despite being a herbavour is super moody and a fun but far too short Pyroraptor sequence. I will add both of these dinosaurs got the feather treatment and were both great visually and despite the fluffiness both terrifying, while the more traditional jurassic park looking malta raptors actually looked kinda bad in quite a few shots. In fact in a few close ups one looked downright goofy.

If I was to point at what is missing from the jurassic world films that the jurassic park films did well (at least the first 2). It is a proper well done set piece, set up a location, set up a specific dinosaur, put them in a situation and then spend time playing it out. The original film is 2 big set pieces with lots of character bits around it. The set piece you expect (T-Rex paddock, stuck in car outside, power goes off) and the one that surprised kids at the time (build up how scary raptors are, establish the frankly strange visitor setting, let raptors loose in the visitor setting) there's little like that here, the film spends a lot of time establishing blue in it's early part and then just drops her entirely til the climax. Same with her child. A lot of the sequences are firmly stand alone pockets with no relation to the rest of the film, or if they do come back its at times that are not earned. Not earned describes a lot of the film. The closest it has to a set piece, the extensive sequence in Malta weirdly drags mostly because they are juggling a lot of plot details during it not actually directly related to the events so it's very stop and go and when it does get going it finishes, again in an anti climatic manner. Frankly the plotting gets in the way of a lot of the actual movie.

Ok spoilers from here on out cause I want to address the Grant and Saddler pairing which wholly exists to undo jurassic park 3's reveal that the two drifted apart and Saddler married and had kids and the two are just friends. Nope from the moment they are introduced the Grant saddler ship is back on, Saddler is quickly made available again and you knew these two were bulletproof for the rest of the film because their whole purpose in this film was to get back together and deliver that perfect ending that jurassic park never gave them.

I have a friend who was convinced they were going to kill off one of the original cast members to really sell the threat but by the mid point of the film the film had so many thematic plot threads running that were needing to be paid off that the only characters they could kill off were either the new black characters they introduced or Ian Malcolm, which it honestly looked like they were going to do for one brief moment that looked like it would have been a nod to how he was injured in the original film. but nope. Everyone is bulletproof in this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Went to this yesterday, the youngster demanded to go for his birthday.

Having read some of the reviews I wasn't looking forward to it but I think it tempered my expectations. Its not bad, its not great either though and is one of the weakest of the Jurassic Park films along with JP3 and JW: Fallen World.

My main criticism is that it is too long. At 2.5 hours it drags. A lot of the kids at the screening I was at were bored, moving seats and making noise etc after around an hour and a half.

I also agree with the comments above unlike the original where they build up the suspense to a set piece with one of the dino's this doesn't and

[/spoiler]

the fact no-one dies from the major characters really lessens the feeling of danger, they could have offed Jeff Goldblum at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Whatever about the film itself, that Trex from the original is one battle hardened warhorse. Bit cheesy in Jurassic World where they went down the superhero route, but seeing the Trex following the red flare to face down the Irex was a thing of beauty. When he started ramming the Irex it was Rocky stuff in terms of "go on the fcuk, do him". Trex up to his old tricks here again. Worth the admission alone to see him square up, ready for action ha

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I saw this over the weekend and watched it on 4DX. I enjoyed the movie as switched off my adult brain for it. The 4D really made a difference I feel, as it "took away" certain poor parts of the movie and added an extra fun element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Man, I am sick of getting adverts for this on YouTube. It's funny tho, I've seen the ad so much that if I went out and watched it now they wouldn't make their money back off me lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think kids would still enjoy it most definitely but as a movie for everyone, it's hands down the worst in the franchise and by a large margin. I won't go into details but I wouldn't recommend it, I thought Jurassic World was solid enough, Fallen Kingdom mediocre, but this was plain bad.

The positives are the original cast mainly, Chris Pratt and the rest are alright too, but the movie itself is just tired, nonsensical, no sense of peril or weighted spectacle to it at all, just CGI constantly thrown at the screen.

I did find the Tim Cook, bond-villian styled antagonist amusing enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The lack of suspense in the whole movie is poor. You could tell what was going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was bored. Nothing new with this movie and the nods to other movies (temple of Doom) were as subtle as a brick to the head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is there anything unusual about the apect ratio of this film that would necessitate having large black borders to the left and right of that image?

I was in screen 5 in Movies@Swords and the image was presented in the middle of the large screen. Large borders left/right and very small borders top/bottom.

I haven’t seen it, but reading about it it appears to be a rare 2.00:1 aspect ratio film - which is in-between the more standard 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. If it was projected like a normal widescreen film, then yes there would be black borders at the edge. But that sounds like haphazard, lazy projection to me: unfortunately quite a few multiplexes put extremely little effort into proper projection these days, and very few have once standard features like screen masking to facilitate different aspect ratios.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The first JW was also 2.00:1 and there was reports of it being projected incorrectly as well, often with the top and bottom of the image cropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually did notice at my showing that the image was cropped as some of the location cards were visibly off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement