Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam is right about Women

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

I’m saying that it doesn’t make sense to claim that all Islam has one unified view of women, when there’s so many different and often opposing thoughts an teachings within the billion or so people involved.

Have you seen this video where Sam Harris is 'surprised' by Ben Affleck on Real Time with Bill Baher?
    It shows the types of visceral reaction from 'leftists'(In this case Affleck) I have seen when people try to criticize Islam.

Particularly at 4 minutes in the video your point in bold is addressed when Harris talks about concentric circles, what do you think about this point?

Pascal Bruckner(french philosopher) gives a breakdown of why he thought there was a link between the atheist far left, and the religious fundamentalists.
    Because these dedicated leftists perceive Islam's potential for fomenting societal unrest, they promote tactical, temporary alliances with reactionary Muslim parties.
    The post-modernists, the feminists, the marxists.
    Bruckner contends that Islamists, for their part, pretend to join the left in its opposition to racism, neocolonialism and globalization as a tactical and temporary means to achieve their true goal of imposing the "totalitarian theocracy" of Islamist government.

It is the extremes of these groups that are the most vocal, but as Harris argues they have concentric circles of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

ub52 wrote: »
    "Islam is right about Women", a riddle wrapped in a enigma that has bamboozled progressives.

Reminded me of "It's ok to be white"

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

These messages will be recognised as the great satire that they are in a few decades.

Just like Life of Brian, groups see vague messages they don't fully understand, assume they're being undermined somehow and throw a tantrum.

The posters are so vague and generalised as to be meaningless, but it predictably brings the narcissists out of the woodwork who apply meaning where none exists.

People will read this and assume I'm calling THEM narcissists!

Christ lads, what did ye think The Passion of Saint Tibulus was all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This thread is a shìtshow of a cluster**** of an an abomination.

But, Islam is an outdated belief system. It's stupid and backwards and extremely conservative.

Thankfully, it's been a long time since i saw anyone defend such nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

But, Islam is an outdated belief system. It's stupid and backwards and extremely conservative.

If you are going to make the type of statement that one religion is stupid, I would hope you mean all of them are stupid, as to pick out just one and then think your own one is somehow the right one is moronic.

What I find stupid is believing in any invisible man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You must be far right. How dare you criticize the Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Hahaha! I think it is funny. And clever. The whole point is it has a point. :)
    Arguing about the graphic design is amusing. It doesnt need it. Just a flyer in the wind. A thought seed. However crappy their politics the trolls of 4Chan do irony and subversion so much better than their "enemies". Used to be the left did that kind of thing best but ceaseless righteousness snuffs out humour unfortunately.

Yet another thread where people hark on about the Catholic clergy versus the Muslim congregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't see the controversy myself, can you explain?

Why don't you tell us exactly what you think Islam says about women - that might help clarify things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

volchitsa wrote: »
    Why don't you tell us exactly what you think Islam says about women - that might help clarify things?

Feminist and empowering messages for the most part?

• Advertisement

HailSatan wrote: »
    Are you saying Islam ISN'T right about women?

Another of these, almost at random - could some of those posters who either agree with the original slogan or don't see an issue with it, like the OP, please tell us what exactly they think Islam actually says about women?

Another of these, almost at random - could some of those posters who either agree with the original slogan or don't see an issue with it, like the OP, please tell us what exactly they think Islam actually says about women? It's not really clear to me.

Examples please? I mean, the context is that these posters agree with Islam, or don't see any rpcause for controversy - and we know how many posters on here see red at any mention of feminism, so that seems unlikely.

You sound sceptical that Islam would have anything feminist or empowering to say for women.

Is the choosing to wear traditional Islamic dress not empowering?

You sound sceptical that Islam would have anything feminist or empowering to say for women.

Is the choosing to wear traditional Islamic dress not empowering?

I don't know, is it?

You asked another poster if they were saying that Islam wasn't right about women - does that mean you think it is? Or are you just trolling too?

I don't know, is it?

Sounds like you just want me to tell you what to think.

Very bad way to live your life.

You asked for an example, I gave you it, you refused to apply any critical thinking to it. What are you looking for here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is it? I have no time for Islam or any other religion. Criticise the religion all you want as far as I’m condemned. But I would still push back against discrimination against the actual people who believe.

What exactly does Islam say about women? I don’t believe in Islam so I don’t claim to know everything it says about women.
    Carpentry wrote: »
    Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve no interest in looking it up. I don’t know and I don’t care. Feel free to be annoyed.

Amazing that this is a thread about someone putting up posters about Islam, and it’s a feminism and the left bashing thread.

Asks a question, is given an answer, says they don't want the answer. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you just want me to tell you what to think.
    Well you would be wrong. I'm asking what the basis for the OP's opinion that there is no controversy is (if we don't know what he thinks Islam says about women, how can we know whether it's reasonable to say it's hardly controversial or not? We can also discuss whether he's correct on that or not.

But IMO people who make sweeping statements or repeatedly ask naive questions are generally just trolling.
    Very bad way to live your life.

You asked for an example, I gave you it, you refused to apply any critical thinking to it. What are you looking for here?
    It's not though, it's meaningless : choosing to wear something might well be empowering - having a choice generally is. Whether women in Iran are as "empowered" as women who choose to wear Islamic dress in, say, France where it is banned might be an interesting question though.

But as a reply to my actual question, which was about the reasons for the opinions expressed being here, it's worthless.

And I've said what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How is anyone suprised the thread is about blaming feminism/left wing people. Thats all CA is for the perma offended right :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Twitter full of people still trying to decide if they should be outraged or not.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Well you would be wrong. I'm asking what the basis for the OP's opinion that there is no controversy is (if we don't know what he thinks Islam says about women, how can we know whether it's reasonable to say it's hardly controversial or not? We can also discuss whether he's correct on that or not.

But IMO people who make sweeping statements or repeatedly ask naive questions are generally just trolling.

It's not though, it's meaningless : choosing to wear something might well be empowering - having a choice generally is. Whether women in Iran are as "empowered" as women who choose to wear Islamic dress in, say, France where it is banned might be an interesting question though.

But as a reply to my actual question, which was about the reasons for the opinions expressed being here, it's worthless.

And I've said what I'm looking for.

But why are you quoting me and taking it up with me?

You asked me what I think Islam says about women and I replied.

You seem sceptical.

Is Islam right about women?

Hmmm
    I don't know, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ha! I see what you did there!!

Hmmm

The difference being that I explained why I think it's a genuinely complex question - women in Iran don't choose to wear the hijab, so clearly they're not "empowered". Women choosing to wear it in a country where it is banned and where they are risking a penal sanction may well be considered to be making a personal or political statement. That's something I understand as empowerment.

Also, presumably Islam says a lot more about women than "they should wear the hijab", right? Many Muslim women don't wear the hijab, so that's really not an answer to my question. If someone says "Islam is right about women" and the sum total of their evidence is that some Muslim women wear the hijab, that's pretty low level posting. Being kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Can someone explain.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-25-at-16-54-03.png

Some Islamic countries and fundamentalist Muslims have attitudes towards women that largely in the West only misogynists (say those who think they're being funny by taking a username after a man accused of multiple accounts of sexual assault) would share - the poster in this case would be some alt-right chap thinking he's being exceedingly clever.

How did I do?

Thankfully as good Irish Catholics we have no recent history of ill-treatment of women.

But why are you quoting me and taking it up with me?

You asked me what I think Islam says about women and I replied.

You seem sceptical.

Is Islam right about women?

So you think all Islam has to say about women is "the veil"? I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Not all Muslim women wear the veil for one thing. And wasn't Muhammed's first wife a wealthy businesswoman in her own right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

So you think all Islam has to say about women is "the veil"? I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Not all Muslim women wear the veil for one thing. And wasn't Muhammed's first wife a wealthy businesswoman in her own right?

Was that the wife after or before the 9 year old?

Aisha was empowered

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Was that the wife after or before the 9 year old?

Oh dear. Is it the word "first" that you find difficult?

(You seem to think I'm defending Islam, or Mohammed. I'm not. But just like two wrongs don't make a right, one misogynistic ideology doesn't make another misogynisic ideology any better.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Suttree wrote: »
    Some Islamic countries and fundamentalist Muslims have attitudes towards women that largely in the West only misogynists (say those who think they're being funny by taking a username after a man accused of multiple accounts of sexual assault) would share - the poster in this case would be some alt-right chap thinking he's being exceedingly clever.

How did I do?

Thankfully as good Irish Catholics we have no recent history of ill-treatment of women.

Yet you're a racist in this place if you think burkas should be banned...

Poor
    1/10

Advertisement