Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction worker guilty of hiding €135,000 in savings from social welfare

Options
  • 25-09-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭

So I read the article below today and at first I was thinking to myself: "The absolute cheek of him, €135k in the bank on claiming the dole!"

But then after think about it for a bit, I then thought: "Well hang on a second, he's 48, probably been working since he was 16/17 as an apprentice. he probably had a good job and paid a lot of tax over the 20/30 years he was working. It's probably taken him the same amount of time to save the €135k in the first place, shouldn't he be entitled to the dole and job seekers allowance given he's worked his whole life?"

Think of it this way:
    Person A and Person B are the same age, and have the exact same job with the same salary
    Person A p**sed all their money away on cars/booze/women etc.
    Person B saves up as much of their money as they can, and doesn't lead an extravagant life.
    Then A and B both lose their jobs at the same time after 20 years employment.

In that scenario, A is entitled to dole and job seekers allowance and B is not despite the fact they've both earned the same money over the same amount of time.
    IE: B is punished for being responsible

That's how I feel about the case in the article below.

How is that fair?
    Like €135k is a fair bit of cash, but not if it took 20/30 years to save it.
    Opinions?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/construction-worker-guilty-of-hiding-135000-in-savings-from-social-welfare-inspectors-when-he-applied-for-dole-953016.html

Mod Note

No need to quote the entire article.

Should your life savings have an impact on your eligibility for dole/job seekers? 108 votes

Yes
    82% 89 votes
    No
    17% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Savings doesn’t affect ya if your claiming your stamps .... it only affects you if you have used up your stamps and goin for the long term jobseekers payment ... and if you on jobseekers for a long time then you should be getting incentivized to get off payment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

small change! that waster margaret cash and many like her, are handed that figure in two years, for life, no questions asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

That's a bit of a peculiar story because if you've been working just before you claim jobseekers it's jobseekers benefit you get and that's not means tested. I think it's only for 9 months now though.

If you're claiming jobseekers allowance that is means tested. So we're not really getting the full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you shouldnt be getting the social until you have less than 1 payment worth of savings.

We also need to start means testing against personal injury claim money, far too many making false claims knowing the social wont cut them off for having 6 digit bank accounts if thats the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

you shouldnt be getting the social until you have less than 1 payment worth of savings.

And why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The state loves making examples of easy targets

dotsman wrote: »
    And why is that?

because you should be paying for your own existence and not mooching off the state if you have the money to feed yourself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

We also need to start means testing against personal injury claim money, far too many making false claims knowing the social wont cut them off for having 6 digit bank accounts if thats the reason.

Bull****, if you've paid stamps for however many years then that's what they're for, you guarantee you some income when you can't work.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Bull****, if you've paid stamps for however many years then that's what they're for, you guarantee you some income when you can't work.

yeah, and you should get that after youve run down your own personal savings. The social is supposed to be a safety net for those who cannot support themselves, not an alternative income source

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

pinkyeye wrote: »
    That's a bit of a peculiar story because if you've been working just before you claim jobseekers it's jobseekers benefit you get and that's not means tested. I think it's only for 9 months now though.

If you're claiming jobseekers allowance that is means tested. So we're not really getting the full story here.

Even on job seekers allowance having savings only means you get a reduced payment.

Not sure if there's a cut off limit though, don't think there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So I read the article below today and at first I was thinking to myself: "The absolute cheek of him, €135k in the bank on claiming the dole!"

But then after think about it for a bit, I then thought: "Well hang on a second, he's 48, probably been working since he was 16/17 as an apprentice. he probably had a good job and paid a lot of tax over the 20/30 years he was working. It's probably taken him the same amount of time to save the €135k in the first place, shouldn't he be entitled to the dole and job seekers allowance given he's worked his whole life?"

Think of it this way:
    Person A and Person B are the same age, and have the exact same job with the same salary
    Person A p**sed all their money away on cars/booze/women etc.
    Person B saves up as much of their money as they can, and doesn't lead an extravagant life.
    Then A and B both lose their jobs at the same time after 20 years employment.

In that scenario, A is entitled to dole and job seekers allowance and B is not despite the fact they've both earned the same money over the same amount of time.
    IE: B is punished for being responsible

That's how I feel about the case in the article below.

How is that fair?
    Like €135k is a fair bit of cash, but not if it took 20/30 years to save it.
    Opinions?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/construction-worker-guilty-of-hiding-135000-in-savings-from-social-welfare-inspectors-when-he-applied-for-dole-953016.html

Soo what your saying in a nutshell is that if you’ve worked for 28 years you should be able to retire and get state top up from the taxpayers minimum €203 + €134.70 for spouse + €37 for each kid per week, irregardless of savings, until retirement at 67 when it goes up to €248 +++?
    Sweet! I’m 54 now. Can I get back money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

because you should be paying for your own existence and not mooching off the state if you have the money to feed yourself.....

Weren't you a big supporter of Sean Gallagher for President? The man who built a business by getting as much free money off the state as possible and then started a sideline teaching other people how to do the same thing?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Weren't you a big supporter of Sean Gallagher for President? The man who built a business by getting as much free money off the state as possible and then started a sideline teaching other people how to do the same thing?

I voted peter casey.
    I also believe government quangos and grants like that should be ended.

He’d worked all his adult life, paid tax and saved and like many of us in construction lost his job in the recession. He’s not a layabout as he signed off 12 months later and then signed on again when that job went.

The recession was **** and he was more deserving of it than some that have never been off it.

He’d worked all his adult life, paid tax and saved and like many of us in construction lost his job in the recession. He’s not a layabout as he signed off 12 months later and then signed on again when that job went.

The recession was **** and he was more deserving of it than some that have never been off it.

more deserving than most on welfare - absolutely , but welfare was designed as and should always be a last resort only when you can no longer support yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Penalising saving, how misguided.

The DSP budget is €20.6B.

There are about 3M Irish citizen residents over 18.

Just give us all our €6,866.67 per year.

more deserving than most on welfare - absolutely , but welfare was designed as and should always be a last resort only when you can no longer support yourself.

And yet they chose to make an example of him like they are great. He was on the dole twice for short periods.

i dont agree, the people that pay in a fortune, should get nothing back if they have money saved? but the wasters who have never paid anything in, should be given ridiculous sums for life with no questions asked?

And yet they chose to make an example of him like they are great. He was on the dole twice for short periods.

its their soft touch approach, everyone who would rally behind him is in work, somebody like margaret cash could mobilise an army of druggies and drunks.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    i dont agree, the people that pay in a fortune, should get nothing back if they have money saved? but the wasters who have never paid anything in, should be given ridiculous sums for life with no questions asked?

i think this is the first time ive ever been accused of saying wasters should get anything....at all.....ever....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kneemos wrote: »
    Even on job seekers allowance having savings only means you get a reduced payment.

Not sure if there's a cut off limit though, don't think there is.
    IIRC, though don't quote me on it K the limit is around 10,000 for jobseekers allowance? To me that's fair, but 100 plus grand? Eh no. The medical card is even more daft on this score. I was doing the carer thing for donkey's years and towards the end I was told I could have a medical card and I got the form and again IIRC the savings limit was around 35 k for a single person and 75 K for a couple.

I didn't apply for it TBH and god knows I paid enough tax in my time and paid for the caring needs out of my own pocket for over 8 years until that pot was dry. I just felt odd about some of the "entitlements". Looking back and being honest here, after I've seen too many take the piss outa the system, there's a large part of me that is sorry I didn't.

What I saw of the social welfare setup was mostly good on balance with those tasked with doling it out doing what they could with what tools they had. I also found it concerning in some places, a bloody joke in others. One aspect that irritated me was it is often an either or when it comes to some benefits. That if you want say "benefit A" you had to take all that comes with it. There was little enough by way of tailoring to individual setups, so some people who actually needed and deserved more help, were getting less than others that needed so much less. Massive wastage IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

yeah, and you should get that after youve run down your own personal savings. The social is supposed to be a safety net for those who cannot support themselves, not an alternative income source

So you believe in punishing people for doing the right thing and encouraging people to be wasters?

Lifetime of paying taxes and sensible saving? - fcuk you
    Blow all your money, live a life of crime or have zero ambition to better yourself - here! have a reward!
    I voted peter casey.
    Figures. You do realise, besides pissing off the PC brigade, he actually didn't have any decent policies?

That's a terrible "design" for welfare.

Have you heard of PRSI? It's Pay-Related Social Insurance.

Because of people like you, our welfare state is certainly not pay-related (although one could argue that it is inversely related I suppose), extremely anti-social and doesn't provide you with any insurance.

If PRSI was to live up to its name:
    • Pay-Related - the more your pay in, the more benefits you would receive if/when you need them
    • Social - it would be for the betterment of society (helping people to get back on their feet, helping those who currently can't help themselves to start helping themselves)
    • Insurance - to be paid out upon a "bad event" happening - losing job, becoming ill etc. that is not your fault.

Unfortunately, the social state has become a tool for the left wing to steal money from the hard-working and the sensible and (predominantly) give it to the wasters and the chancers.
    i think this is the first time ive ever been accused of saying wasters should get anything....at all.....ever....
    Well, your views on "the social" clearly define how you love promoting wasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, doesn't that just encourage people to not have savings then and blow all their money when they're working. If you have savings, you just live s more frugal life and then don't get social welfare like others.

Wibbs hard workers should take every cent they can get from it, anything they dont take, is more money to be wasted here or more for the wasters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wibbs hard workers should take every cent they can get from it, anything they dont take, is more money to be wasted here or more for the wasters!
    I dunno Ib, my take was always along the lines of if I ever needed it I'd take what I needed and that's it. If more thought like that(and quite a few I've known do) there'd be more in the pot for where and when it might be needed. Over the years I've put a fair few bob through the tax system. On what I put through on VAT alone, if a PAYE worker were paying out 50k per annum in tax they'd need to work at that level for nearly 60 years and I have never begrudged anyone getting something out of that.

I do get pissed off with the wastage and not just in the social welfare areas, health for example needs a massive kick up the hole. I have no real issue, other than with actual chancers of the social welfare system here, in general. Having been in the social welfare area and being around others in receipt of payments, I would say from what I saw that a fair percentage of the long term unemployed people I encountered were just "broken" for the real want of a better word people. A couple I've met down the years I had a case of there but for the grace of god go I about them. I would also far prefer to have less in my pocket and to have social welfare liveable on than say the example of our neighbour the UK where genuine poverty can be seen. Places like Spain and Italy similarly if not worse. That's sh1te for those in it, but it makes wider society worse, less safe. Plus in the end even the actual wasters are buying stuff and services which means the vast majority of their payments are being circulated anyway. So even if they're spending all their money on ciggies and cider the shop is making cash from them and the tax man is making cash on the sale.

Now to be fair all of the above is from the position of someone who's never been a PAYE worker, have always been my own boss, never had expensive girlfriends :D and no kids and never needed a loan to buy anything because I had cash in the bank(and if I couldn't afford something I'd simply go without). I can see how a PAYE worker in near constant worry and stress fighting to make ends meet for their family looking at his or her tax outgoings wondering WTF and looking for someone to blame. And there are plenty of candidates.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Good on anyone who tries to scam the system, it's pathetic how everyone loves those unemplyment shows you would see on English TV, it all comes down to jealousy, if working is so good then why do people hate the unemployed? Surely you would pity them if they are unemployed if work is so good? People have a resentment for capitalism and having to spend so much time away from their families that they take it out on the unemployed, maybe they should all join the unemployed so the structure of society may have to change, maybe if more people rebelled against the rat race then we would only have to work 3 day weeks. Work sucks all joy away from me, being forced to work is the direct cause of my future suicide, no pills or therapy makes the rat race bearable, I only plan to endure the next 30 years so that I don't cause parents distress, in them days the retirement age will be 70+, no thanks, I will choose the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Social Insurance should be increased, so JSB should rise

Social Assistance should not be increased.

JSB should be much higher than JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Geuze wrote: »
    Social Insurance should be increased, so JSB should rise

Social Assistance should not be increased.

JSB should be much higher than JSA.

You’re probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Good on anyone who tries to scam the system, it's pathetic how everyone loves those unemplyment shows you would see on English TV, it all comes down to jealousy, if working is so good then why do people hate the unemployed? Surely you would pity them if they are unemployed if work is so good? People have a resentment for capitalism and having to spend so much time away from their families that they take it out on the unemployed, maybe they should all join the unemployed so the structure of society may have to change, maybe if more people rebelled against the rat race then we would only have to work 3 day weeks. Work sucks all joy away from me, being forced to work is the direct cause of my future suicide, no pills or therapy makes the rat race bearable, I only plan to endure the next 30 years so that I don't cause parents distress, in them days the retirement age will be 70+, no thanks, I will choose the graveyard.
    a man after my own heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chrxst this country is fuked up for sure

Advertisement