Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview/freeview combo setup issue

• 25-09-2019 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭

I'm setting up a Saorview connect box with aerial for Irish channels and satellite for UK. Aerial part is up and running but satellite side is giving me issues.

Mounted the satellite and turned to roughly the right alignment to pick up Astra 2 then connected my cheap satellite finder between lnb and receiver. Got no power on finder, checked cable for continuity and found it was ok. Connected satellite and scanned for channels, no joy either. Connected finder directly to receiver and no power again.

It looks like I'm not getting any power out from the receiver. Has anyone experienced this before. Can power be turned on and off at receiver to lnb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Your cheap satellite finder might be fecked.

The satellite dish needs to be angled/set to about 21/22 on the side of the dish. Then everything else is left/right direction tweaking.

What type of receiver is it ? Most have built in Signal meters. Connect the dish directly to LNB and receiver (i.e. lose the sat finder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

It's the saorview connect receiver, made by PowerPoint. Finder might be goosed but I did connect directly and have the satellite facing at 141degrees but getting no signal. Elevation might be slightly out.

threeball wrote: »
    It's the saorview connect receiver, made by PowerPoint. Finder might be goosed but I did connect directly and have the satellite facing at 141degrees but getting no signal. Elevation might be slightly out.

141 degrees ? The elevation on the side needs to be at 21/22. The dish needs to be pointing at 28.2 degrees east.

To find out what direction that is use the website below, zoom in and pick 28.2 on the right. It will show the exact direction your dish should be pointing. Drag the pointer to your house, it uses google satellite imagery.

https://www.dishpointer.com/

STB. wrote: »

141 degrees ? The elevation on the side needs to be at 21/22. The dish needs to be pointing at 28.2 degrees east.

To find out what direction that is use the website below, zoom in and pick 28.2 on the right. It will show the exact direction your dish should be pointing. Drag the pointer to your house, it uses google satellite imagery.

https://www.dishpointer.com/

141 degrees on the compass. It's pretty much where the dishpointer site says it should point. I'll have to check the elevation. I'll have to check if I have power on the cable tomorrow with the multimeter. Thanks for the help

141 degrees on the compass. It's pretty much where the dishpointer site says it should point. I'll have to check the elevation. I'll have to check if I have power on the cable tomorrow with the multimeter. Thanks for the help

You're welcome.

From reading the Saorview Connect thread, there is a built in basic satellite channel list. Put it on BBC1, lash up the volume ring yourself from another phone and tweak away at the dish is possible the easiest way to get a signal. You can then maximise reception with the inbuilt signal meter on the TV/set top box (which means getting up and down from the dish or having someone call out the signal percentages).

Assuming the cable is correctly wired to the connectors and assuming the lnb on the dish is working, then it should be relatively easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I always thought it was 28.2 East of South. So on a compass would it be 180 - 28.2 = 151.8 or have I missed something?

I always thought it was 28.2 East of South. So on a compass would it be 180 - 28.2 = 151.8 or have I missed something?

I assume he is using a directional compass. I think he is in Galway which is 9 degrees west of Grenwich where you add 9 to 28.2 giving you 37.2 east. Those figures he was quoting are Azi.

But you don't need any of that. Elevation first. Then general direction and hone in from there assuming the dish isn't pointing into a building.

Dishpointer says 136.9, 20.2 elevation and -24 skew. I'll start with elevation as STB says and work from there.

Dishpointer says 136.9, 20.2 elevation and -24 skew. I'll start with elevation as STB says and work from there.

Use the general direction that dishpointer is showing, but get the angle of the dish right first -about 21 at the side. Make sure the cables are secured to both lnb and receiver (assuming you have identified the exact cable going back to room).

STB. wrote: »
    Use the general direction that dishpointer is showing, but get the angle of the dish right first -about 21 at the side. Make sure the cables are secured to both lnb and receiver (assuming you have identified the exact cable going back to room).

Just the one cable and I belled it out to check for continuity, that side is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement