Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outbreak of ‘noos’ on MI

• 26-09-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭

Listening this am whilst downing the ‘Full Irish’ and was appalled by a serious outbreak of the ‘noos’ disease on MI

Petunia Martin a major faultee and there were other transgressors.

Since when did ‘ news’ become ‘noos’ Libreri is another serial offender.

Is this cross contamination from ‘Noosttalk’ imports.

This needs to be stamped out quickly or it will gain legs like the other extremely annoying tics like starting sentences with ‘so’ and the fohherking ‘thank you for having me on’ crap beloved of politicians.

Let’s clean radio up folks, it’s going downhill rapidly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

...This needs to be stamped out quickly or it will gain legs like the other extremely annoying tics like starting sentences with ‘so’ and the fohherking ‘thank you for having me on’ crap beloved of politicians.

I akways thought that when politicians were speaking they were usually the ones having us on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I akways thought that when politicians were speaking they were usually the ones having us on?

Good point there Fish, but this is a serious issue.

This ‘noos’ business needs stamping out, if I want those standards I’ll toon in to Noostalk.

There’s Petunia again with ‘Janooary’

Getting very close to the edge here.......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ten people in here are not going to clean up anything. Let's live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Make radio great again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Matt Cooper was the main offender for saying "Noos.... with Juliette GASSSSSSSSSSSHH"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You should switch to RnaG
    Noo-ah-tad
    Noo-ach-at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There was an outbreak of 'Westminister' on Cormac ó Hara's show on Saturday.

Ten people in here are not going to clean up anything. Let's live and let live.
    Don't be so defeatist. Only twelve men gathered around a Belfast tavern for the inaugural meeting of the United Irishmen. What if they had taken your attitude? Where would be today? Toiling in the furrow of some English lord while he blows on his horn to hurry us?

Some help you'd have been in 1798.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There was an outbreak of 'Westminister' on Cormac ó Hara's show on Saturday.

Glad I didn’t hear that Mr Pee, could have pushed me over the edge.

Ignoring this stuff with a ‘live and let live’ attitude is defeatist as a respected mod has said.

That’s how this stuff gets legs, I mean isn’t it just as easy to say’Westminster’ as ‘Westminister’.

Pronouncing it wrongly for me shows lack of ‘cop on’ and a lazy inefficient attitude to yourself and frankly a disrespect for the people listening to you,particularly if you are on radio or other broadcast media.

Don’t get me going about ‘Turbidy’ and his ‘ toreists’ for ‘tourists’.

Getting a bit agitated here.....

Trying to stop changes to the language has been seen as a noble cause by some in every generation. But they are serial losers. Get on the side of the winners, and let the language develop as it will.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/15/why-its-time-to-stop-worrying-about-the-decline-of-the-english-language

• Advertisement

Trying to stop changes to the language has been seen as a noble cause by some in every generation. But they are serial losers. Get on the side of the winners, and let the language develop as it will.

No. The word is news, not ‘noos’.

Broadcasters should set a good example. They should not be the sort of mumbling idiot or affected dopes who speak as though they are ill spoken and poorly educated morons.

So, no.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/15/why-its-time-to-stop-worrying-about-the-decline-of-the-english-language

You see, Mr Hound, that’s what the losers want.

They want a ‘mosh pit’ where it shouldn’t matter how one constructs sentences, where bad grammar is ignored and ‘doesn’t matter’, where poor spelling means nothing, where the ‘grocers apostrophe ‘ is a ‘whah da fooherke is dah’ kind of stunt.

For me it’s like driving a motor vehicle, the rules are there to help everyone, you follow them.

If I come across what I call ‘a done and seen dude’ I don’t mind, but the important thing is I know what I am dealing with, and take note in my mind as to how I deal with them.

These pointers are extremely important in sizing up people and frankly I view those who advocate a liberal view of such important pointers with a certain amount of suspicion.

JayZeus wrote: »

Broadcasters should set a good example. They should not be the sort of mumbling idiot or affected dopes who speak as though they are ill spoken and poorly educated morons.

So, no.

It comes from Nouvelle. So the first version in English must have been Noos. I don't mind that it has changed over the centuries.

It comes from Nouvelle. So the first version in English must have been Noos. I don't mind that it has changed over the centuries.

Nouveles, taken from medieval French bibles where it was translated from the latin scriptures.

The latin form was Nova/Novus, meaning new.

The word news in the English language is much closer to novus in pronunciation, not that any of this matters as I doubt the sort of fool who can't pronounce news would have any education in the classical languages.

Instead, they should simply stop speaking as though they have a speech impediment or motor neuron disease. It's a simple word to pronounce. There are no valid excuses for the idiocy.

Nouveles, taken from medieval French bibles where it was translated from the latin scriptures.

The word news in the English language is much closer to novus in pronunciation, not that any of this matters as I doubt the sort of fool who can't pronounce news would have any education in the classical languages.

Instead, they should simply stop speaking as though they have a speech impediment or motor neuron disease. It's a simple word to pronounce. There are no valid excuses for the idiocy.

At last a bit of sense.

The Noos pronunciation went over to America, where it has been retained. It should be a source of comfort to those who dislike change, to see its revival in British English. Some British English dialects never lost the Noos pronunciation.

The Noos pronunciation went over to America, where it has been retained. It should be a source of comfort to those who dislike change, to see its revival in British English. Some British English dialects never lost the Noos pronunciation.

Luckily we don’t live in the US..

Luckily we don’t live in the US..

But in the modern age, we cannot escape the influence of US, Australian, South African et al versions of English. Even when the world was a much smaller place, the language evolved despite the efforts of "purists" to keep it the same.

But in the modern age, we cannot escape the influence of US, Australian, South African et al versions of English. Even when the world was a much smaller place, the language evolved despite the efforts of "purists" to keep it the same.

Of course not, but wouldn’t one be held up to ridicule and odium if one was to speak like an Australian in this geographical area.

If one started to say ‘nooice’ instead of ‘nice’ I feel, quite justifiably, especially if one was a broadcaster, that one could be looked on as a bit ‘touched’.

News in this area of the world is called ‘News’ trying to justify it being called ‘Noouze’ is futile and pedantic.

Waste of bandwidth in my opinion.

Of course not, but wouldn’t one be held up to ridicule and odium if one was to speak like an Australian in this geographical area.

If one started to say ‘nooice’ instead of ‘nice’ I feel, quite justifiably, especially if one was a broadcaster, that one could be looked on as a bit ‘touched’.

News in this area of the world is called ‘News’ trying to justify it being called ‘Noouze’ is futile and pedantic.

Waste of bandwidth in my opinion.

It is a subject where you have to take the long view. Trying to impose what is current in your lifetime onto the language for all time is pedantic. Give it a few hundred years, and see what the outcome is. Go back a few hundred years (the resources are available) and see how mad the language looks to the modern eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OP fire off a grumpy old man email to all of them, expressing your outrage.

It is a subject where you have to take the long view. Trying to impose what is current in your lifetime onto the language for all time is pedantic. Give it a few hundred years, and see what the outcome is. Go back a few hundred years (the resources are available) and see how mad the language looks to the modern eye.

I’m taking the short view....News is pronounced ‘News’ in this geographical area.

Calling it ‘Nooze’ is just plain wrong.

I estimate that it will be ‘news’ for at least the next 80 years so that’s good enough for me.

Calling it ‘Nooze’ is not the correct pronunciation for this area.

It’s plain simple and true.

is_that_so wrote: »
    OP fire off a grumpy old man email to all of them, expressing your outrage.

I’d be more inclined to write the complaint on a wad of arse paper, clean my hoop with it and dispatch it into the green bin.

I’d get more reaction than e-mailing RTE.

Sorry for being a little crude, but it’s just to re-enforce the futility of such an action.

Apologies.

So, no.
    Yes they should, and newsreaders should be above that again.
    Unfortunately the pox of the interrupting show host is rampant, and unhelpful when trying to maintain perfect diction.

It starts early with Shay Byrne's business and sports segments and continues throughout the day on both national and commercial stations.

They're all guilty.

I’d be more inclined to write the complaint on a wad of arse paper, clean my hoop with it and dispatch it into the green bin.

I’d get more reaction than e-mailing RTE.

Sorry for being a little crude, but it’s just to re-enforce the futility of such an action.

Apologies.

A couple of interesting examples there of how the language evolves. Both email and e-mail are currently accepted, but email is ahead by 1:7 to 1 in measured usage, and will likely become the standard form.

Inforce is a non word, or in some sources listed as obsolete, whereas Enforce is common. But Reinforce is the word to use in the sense of to emphasise something. Reenforce is rare and has the meaning of to enforce again. Neither are listed in dictionaries with hyphens.

Susie Dent on Countdown often disallows words because they are hyphenated in the dictionary, but sometimes remarks that they would not have carried a hyphen until recent editions. The opposite is also true, with hyphens being dropped where they existed previously.

E-mail and email are both correct ways to spell the same word. The issue of the hyphen (or lack thereof) in e-mail is still far from being settled. Different style guides prefer one spelling over the other, so if you need to follow one make sure you use the spelling it prescribes. If you don’t need to follow a style guide, pick one of the spellings and use it consistently.

Even though it seems that most of the world has moved on and settled on the simpler and newer variant of spelling—email—some very important names in lexicography and publishing are sticking with the older version, e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Kieran Mulloooooley, RTE Noooooooooooooooooooze, Athlone.

Not having a go at KM. Seems an affable enough chap but that drives me mad.

Another one is the "soft T" in the middle of words like "Shotgun" "Outbreak" and "Fitness".

Yes, Bill Badbody, I'm looking at you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

sligojoek wrote: »

Not having a go at KM. Seems an affable enough chap but that drives me mad.

Another one is the "soft T" in the middle of words like "Shotgun" "Outbreak" and "Fitness".

Yes, Bill Badbody, I'm looking at you. :D

It is also when Mullooley ends his report slowly name checking a depressing area of the midlands, when usually reporting on bad news:
    Kieran Mullooley, RTE News, "B-a-l-l-y-m-a-h-o-n" .... "L-a-n-e-s-b-o-r-o"....."S-t-r-o-k-e-s-t-o-w-n"

Major outbreak of ‘noos’ this morning as well

Petuna Martin and Samantha Libreri the usual culprits.

This has to be stamped out.

Major outbreak of ‘noos’ this morning as well

Petuna Martin and Samantha Libreri the usual culprits.

This has to be stamped out.

I also want you to stamp out your misspellings of the names of people in the public eye. It is very disrespectful.

• Advertisement

It is also when Mullooley ends his report slowly name checking a depressing area of the midlands, when usually reporting on bad news:
    Kieran Mullooley, RTE News, "B-a-l-l-y-m-a-h-o-n" .... "L-a-n-e-s-b-o-r-o"....."S-t-r-o-k-e-s-t-o-w-n"

He calls himself Ciaran Mullooly.

I also want you to stamp out your misspellings of the names of people in the public eye. It is very disrespectful.

What has that to do with the topic under discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

Don't be so defeatist. Only twelve men gathered around a Belfast tavern for the inaugural meeting of the United Irishmen. What if they had taken your attitude? Where would be today? Toiling in the furrow of some English lord while he blows on his horn to hurry us?

Some help you'd have been in 1798.

There were half a million* in the gpo in 1916 and we still lost!!! Not just about numbers.

*give or take a few hundred thousand

Good to hear a Newstalk newsreader pronounce that city as "Gàlway" on the news this morning, instead of the more popular, slightly drawling "Gawl-way" that is usually preferred.

I wouldn't give her name, even if I knew it, in case some purists disagree; wouldn't like to see the woman's reputation dragged into the gutter. But the flat 'a' in Galway is linguistically and historically correct in this poster's very humble opinion.

I suspect Brendan has an opinion on this somewhat vexed question?

Good to hear a Newstalk newsreader pronounce that city as "Gàlway" on the news this morning, instead of the more popular, slightly drawling "Gawl-way" that is usually preferred.

I wouldn't give her name, even if I knew it, in case some purists disagree; wouldn't like to see the woman's reputation dragged into the gutter. But the flat 'a' in Galway is linguistically and historically correct in this poster's very humble opinion.

I suspect Brendan has an opinion on this somewhat vexed question?

Indeed I do and Gawlway would be my preference for sure.

If one wants to annoy the Brenner and turn the lad a bit sour switch on a hurling game with Donal O ‘Grady as co commentator and his calling it “Gollway” and to add insult to injury using ‘ he should have left him go’ and ‘ the centre back is leaving his man in behind him’, and other annoying stuff so beloved of our Munster friends.

I’d like to know where that newstalk person hails from to be honest and if “Gollway” is the way she pronounces it, my bet is from the Cork area.

Now that Donal Og has a profile with the minors in Cork expect any interviews to be well peppered “leaves” and “left” .
    Michael Corcoran also from that areea (sic) is another exponent along with Donal Lehinan and guess where they hail from......correct!!!

If one wants to annoy the Brenner and turn the lad a bit sour switch on a hurling game with Donal O ‘Grady as co commentator and his calling it “Gollway” and to add insult to injury using ‘ he should have left him go’ and ‘ the centre back is leaving his man in behind him’, and other annoying stuff so beloved of our Munster friends.

I’d like to know where that newstalk person hails from to be honest and if “Gollway” is the way she pronounces it, my bet is from the Cork area.

Now that Donal Og has a profile with the minors in Cork expect any interviews to be well peppered “leaves” and “left” .
    Michael Corcoran also from that areea (sic) is another exponent along with Donal Lehinan and guess where they hail from......correct!!!

Corcoran is getting on my nerves of late.

It's 'rugby' Michael, not 'rubby'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree with Brendan on Gawl-way; and I lived there for quite some time as a child. I don't know anyone from Gawl-way city at least who says it any other way. Donal O'Grady's butchering of it is a pronunciation hate crime in my eyes.

I'm also disappointed that we're 3 pages in and the biggest and most frequent serial offender of mispronunciation Mr. Joesph Duffy hasn't gotten a mention to this point. It's a digrace!

I'm from North Tipp and its always been Gollway in our house. Kerry is 'Kurry' too, but we'll put that aside for now.

Always thought Gawlway belonged in the same bracket as 'cawr', usually said by the type of person who grew up on a farm and now calls a female sheep a yewe instead of what she is. A fcuking Yo, Brendan.

Sorry, temporarily lost my temper there. I apologise.

I'm from North Tipp and its always been Gollway in our house. Kerry is 'Kurry' too, but we'll put that aside for now.

Always thought Gawlway belonged in the same bracket as 'cawr', usually said by the type of person who grew up on a farm and now calls a female sheep a yewe instead of what she is. A fcuking Yo, Brendan.

No problem there Ty... now we won’t go into the Tie-rone and Tihr owen debate will we.

Now for me the correct pronunciation is Tih rowen, that’s what P Canavan calls it
    on Sky, that’s what most logical folk call it, I would suggest, and Peter is from that county.
    Why does every foohker from Kerry call it “Tyre ohn “

I mean ‘Tír na hEireann” is the country of Ireland, it’s not ‘Tyre na hEireann” is it.

Do these’ pursons’ think the can mangle the language as they like.

As I write I hear some dude called Barry Lenihan on RTE referring to Supermacs as “Supermaxes”

For Jaysus sake where were these people educated and who signed off on their qualifications.

Place is breaking up.....

Tie-rone is beyond the pale of reasonable disagreement. It has no basis in history, habit nor the laws of language. I think it might be an Americanism.

It's particularly surprising when the offender is a professional broadcaster. Claire Byrne is a regular culprit, surprisingly enough.

I'm with you all the way there, Millie, except I'd draw the line at "Kurry". Maybe we're different in Toomevara/Tummyvara. It's pronounced that way in Sligo too and I always remind them that "Curry" is a village South of Tubbercurry.
    No problem there Ty... now we won’t go into the Tie-rone and Tihr owen debate will we.

Now for me the correct pronunciation is Tih rowen, that’s what P Canavan calls it
    on Sky, that’s what most logical folk call it, I would suggest, and Peter is from that county.
    Why does every foohker from Kerry call it “Tyre ohn “

I mean ‘Tír na hEireann” is the country of Ireland, it’s not ‘Tyre na hEireann” is it.

Do these’ pursons’ think the can mangle the language as they like.

As I write I hear some dude called Barry Lenihan on RTE referring to Supermacs as “Supermaxes”

For Jaysus sake where were these people educated and who signed off on their qualifications.

Place is breaking up.....

I heard that too and was surprised by it.

• Advertisement

I'm with you all the way there, Millie, except I'd draw the line at "Kurry". Maybe we're different in Toomevara/Tummyvara. It's pronounced that way in Sligo too and I always remind them that "Curry" is a village South of Tubbercurry.

I knew when I posted it that I was going too far with the Kurry suggestion.

Ye are pretty 'different' in Toome to be fair. One positive thing I will say about Toomevara, mind, is that lads seem to walk around with hurls as extensions of their arms. Going down to the shop to buy crisps? Bring a hurl. Walking the dog? Don't forget your hurl. Ye are still responsible for Obama, but it's swings and roundabouts.

I knew when I posted it that I was going too far with the Kurry suggestion.

Ye are pretty 'different' in Toome to be fair. One positive thing I will say about Toomevara, mind, is that lads seem to walk around with hurls as extensions of their arms. Going down to the shop to buy crisps? Bring a hurl. Walking the dog? Don't forget your hurl. Ye are still responsible for Obama, but it's swings and roundabouts.

That's Moneygall. 2 miles "up the road" in Offaly. Don't blame us for that.

"Different", in a Joe Duffy sense?? :D

We used to go to school like tramps. "Hurley" with a "Joey O Connor bag" full of copybooks hanging over the shoulder.

Last week I celebrated 21 years living in Sligo and I still can't get over their insistence on calling Kerry "Kurry".

Anyway, back on topic.

Jinny O Sullivan, Fergal Bowers and Andrew O Connor (He's the sports guy.. He's the sports guy)

ARRR T E News. What's that all about?

That's Moneygall. 2 miles "up the road" in Offaly. Don't blame us for that.

"Different", in a Joe Duffy sense?? :D

We used to go to school like tramps. "Hurley" with a "Joey O Connor bag" full of copybooks hanging over the shoulder.

Last week I celebrated 21 years living in Sligo and I still can't get over their insistence on calling Kerry "Kurry".

Is it hurley in Toome? It's definitely 'hurl' in Borris/ Terryglass.

Joey O'Connor never gave us anything except an outrageous groceries bill. I found a few "Joey's" plastic bags last time I was clearing a shed out down home. That was a real blast from the past. Some man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not having a go at KM. Seems an affable enough chap but that drives me mad....
    Affable chap indeed is Ciaran but I wish he'd stop pronouncing Roscommon as 'Isscommon'.

ARRR T E News. What's that all about?
    This is a hill I will die on.

AAR T E is 100% right. R in Irish is ARR. That's the only useful thing I got from compulsory irish.

Is it hurley in Toome? It's definitely 'hurl' in Borris/ Terryglass.

Joey O'Connor never gave us anything except an outrageous groceries bill. I found a few "Joey's" plastic bags last time I was clearing a shed out down home. That was a real blast from the past. Some man.

Hurley/Hurl?? Email Ray Darcy. He'll find out for us.

Did you get a pic of those bags? I'd love to see that. There was a "Joey's bag" full of "Joey's bags" under everybody's sink one time. I see the place was razed to the ground for a new development lately. Last time I was down the place was fairly forlorn looking. He had his knockers but he gave a lot of employment to a lot of people in hard times, myself and my sister included. I ran the "Friary Bar" for three years. Not sure of your vintage but I'm sure you remember it. There was never a dull moment in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AAR T E is 100% right. R in Irish is ARR. That's the only useful thing I got from compulsory irish.
    Agree!

Mrs WA always gets on to me for pronouncing it as "orr" - she says the correct pronunciation is "Aarr".

I hear you but they're delivering the bulletins in English.

Maybe my annoyance stems from when my father used to mix car paint. He'd ask me or my brother for a can of Arr23 or Arr47. We were teenagers at the time and used to laugh our holes off at him. Him and my mother were gaelgoirs.

Hurley/Hurl?? Email Ray Darcy. He'll find out for us.

Did you get a pic of those bags? I'd love to see that. There was a "Joey's bag" full of "Joey's bags" under everybody's sink one time. I see the place was razed to the ground for a new development lately. Last time I was down the place was fairly forlorn looking. He had his knockers but he gave a lot of employment to a lot of people in hard times, myself and my sister included. I ran the "Friary Bar" for three years. Not sure of your vintage but I'm sure you remember it. There was never a dull moment in it.

I'll ask the mother next time I'm down home, she never throws anything out. Not too long ago I found a pair of shoes in a press that I bought from Gough's about 20 years ago... bag still intact.
    Right, we're in danger of turning this thread into the Nenagh Forum. I daresay we knew a lot of lads who frequented the Friary, we'll exchange stories in Rocky's some day maybe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement