Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign for four-day working week officially launches in Ireland

Options
  • 26-09-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

So Forsa are now campaining for the 4day week in ireland.

EFUkUHVXsAEl7_O?format=png&name=small

Do you expect it will ever take off?
    Even if the make 10 hour working days for 4 days, How would that suit majority of people with kids?

I like the idea personally, but I wonder would the country be able to adapt to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It would be great but in a globalised society you'd have to have everyone in on it. I doubt you could have our 8000 Google employees doing 4 day weeks while they work 5 or 6 in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

It would be great but in a globalised society you'd have to have everyone in on it. I doubt you could have our 8000 Google employees doing 4 day weeks while they work 5 or 6 in the USA.

true, and i wonder would there be much kick back from the doctor and nursing staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    true, and i wonder would there be much kick back from the doctor and nursing staff?

Yeah that's the thing, some companies, and the civil service maybe, could implement it, which wouldn't really be fair. So I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Working 9 to 7 as opposed to 9 to 5...hmmm, I don't know. 4 days on and 3 off sounds good, but a 10 hour day doesn't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Are 35 hour weeks common? I've a 40 hour week, so that's a 10 hour day, not including lunch, each day. That's very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Wont happen. Employers just get people in on the fifth day anyways to work. Which mean yad be working more hours. From an environmental perspective it would be a good thing if it could be implemented. Less pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Why am I not surprised that people advocating for a four day week, start their conference at half ten and wrap things up at 12:45? :pac: That's probably the full day for them, lazy bast@rds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I work a four day week already and tend to work between 9/10 hour days (excluding 30 minutes for lunch) the days I am at work. Having a three day weekend really gives you a proper chance to recharge after the week whereas before, between family commitments, housework and errands I found I was going back to work on Monday still exhausted. The third day gives me a day off to actually sit down and relax a little.

Since going on a four day week, I have had less sick leave, (I believe its because I am not as tired and run down) and I make a point to schedule anything I need to do (eg. doctor/dentist appointments) on my day off. Technically I could take time off for medical appointments from work and claim the hours, but now I use my own time instead.

I think any employer who doesn't consider offering their employee the option is overlooking what could be a positive opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

AulWan wrote: »
    I work a four day week already and tend to work between 9/10 hour days (excluding 30 minutes for lunch) the days I am at work. Having a three day weekend really gives you a proper chance to recharge after the week whereas before, between family commitments, housework and errands I found I was going back to work on Monday still exhausted. The third day gives me a day off to actually sit down and relax a little.

Since going on a four day week, I have had less sick leave, (I believe its because I am not as tired and run down) and I make a point to schedule anything I need to do (eg. doctor/dentist appointments) on my day off. Technically I could take time off for medical appointments from work and claim the hours, but now I use my own time instead.

I think any employer who doesn't consider offering their employee the option is overlooking what could be a positive opportunity.

Can't wait until its introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There is no one size fits all in this. Every company has different needs it might suit some. One idea floating around before was the employee gets to pick which day off they want i.e some want Wed off to break up the week others Fri or Mon to have 3 days in a row. Its too short of detail at the moment I feel and I'm all in favour of more flexibility at work. Less traffic, pressure on public transport, child care costs etc.

• Advertisement

Did I imagine it, or have the French already implemented a four day week / 35 hour working week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We’d use it as an excuse to get pissed more, the the gubberment would go mad about alcohol consumption increasing again , would be a mad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

We’d use it as an excuse to get pissed more, the the gubberment would go mad about alcohol consumption increasing again , would be a mad one.

I'm pretty sure we'd enjoy more family days, and time to relax and recharge.
    We've moved on greatly from the 70's in ireland, come join us wont you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we'd enjoy more family days, and time to relax and recharge.
    We've moved on greatly from the 70's in ireland, come join us wont you.

ohh im reslishing my 3 day pissup.

I have yet to meet one single person who reduced their number of working days who says they use their extra time off to get pissed.

Most of these arrangements are made for family commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

How many staff do Forsa have?

I assume Forsa, ICTU, friends of the earth and Maynooth university etc have implemented a four day week already?

How has it affected their operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ban the internet and we'd knock out in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

F*ck all that 10 hour day craic, we should have a 32 hour week. We all work out b*llocks off for stagnating wages while profits at the top skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TBH most Forsa members could do their weeks work by lunch time Tuesday

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Tony EH wrote: »
    Working 9 to 7 as opposed to 9 to 5...hmmm, I don't know. 4 days on and 3 off sounds good, but a 10 hour day doesn't.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Are 35 hour weeks common? I've a 40 hour week, so that's a 10 hour day, not including lunch, each day. That's very long.

If I'm reading it right they are not talking about 4X10 instead of 5X8 they are just talking about the current working day , but just four of them , with the same money as you are currently paid for 5 days.

Total non-runner for the overwhelming majority of industries and jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If I'm reading it right they are not talking about 4X10 instead of 5X8 they are just talking about the current working day , but just four of them , with the same money as you are currently paid for 5 days.

It’s not un-doable, work smarter and plan workforce better and there’s no issue. People assume this would just be a Mon-Thurs deal but you’d be covering 4 out of 7 per week

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It’s not un-doable, work smarter and plan workforce better and there’s no issue. People assume this would just be a Mon-Thurs deal but you’d be covering 4 out of 7 per week

But the expectation is that the reduced hours would pay for themselves in increased productivity due to happier/healthier workers offsetting the lost time along with reduced illness and the like.

How does a Bus driver become more productive , or someone flipping burgers in McDonalds?

Also - If there was a way for companies to be 20% more efficient with the staff they have , they'd already have found it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice or that it wouldn't be beneficial to the workforce , but I just don't see this as anything other than increased cost which companies will not take on

But the expectation is that the reduced hours would pay for themselves in increased productivity due to happier/healthier workers offsetting the lost time along with reduced illness and the like.

How does a Bus driver become more productive , or someone flipping burgers in McDonalds?

Also - If there was a way for companies to be 20% more efficient with the staff they have , they'd already have found it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice or that it wouldn't be beneficial to the workforce , but I just don't see this as anything other than increased cost which companies will not take on

You would be surprised by the mental effect of a 3 day weekend/ time off period every week. I’ve worked in manufacturing before that had a 4 x 12 pattern and nobody ever slacked off, you work hard for the time you are there and in return you get more life time to enjoy away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Deub

AulWan wrote: »
    Did I imagine it, or have the French already implemented a four day week / 35 hour working week?

And that didn't turn out well. Companies have found a solution around it. They make you work 40hrs a week when they need you and give you time off when business is in a slow period. So you could work all summer and having time off in November for instance. This way you still do an average of 35h/week per calendar year.

You would be surprised by the mental effect of a 3 day weekend/ time off period every week. I’ve worked in manufacturing before that had a 4 x 12 pattern and nobody ever slacked off, you work hard for the time you are there and in return you get more life time to enjoy away from it.

Totally agree with that and that's fine and I know many places that operate like that really successfully , but that's not the proposal here..

They are not talking about spreading the existing hours over a shorter number of days , they are talking about just reducing the total hours at work with the hope that increased productivity etc. will cover the cost of those lost hours.

Totally agree with that and that's fine and I know many places that operate like that really successfully , but that's not the proposal here..

They are not talking about spreading the existing hours over a shorter number of days , they are talking about just reducing the total hours at work with the hope that increased productivity etc. will cover the cost of those lost hours.

Thanks for the info, was not aware of that - what use is cutting 8 hours of working week? A 4 x10 proposal I could understand but a 4 x 8 no way, I think that would personally increase pressure and stress in my own job

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well that sounds great to me.

But it'll never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well that sounds great to me.

But it'll never happen.

Couldn't care less.

I've definitely read a study (no I don't have a link) where a three day working week was trialled in Denmark. I think they were longer days but less hours overall.

They found productivity actually increased, when people went to work they put the head down and ploughed on.

I suppose maybe it was cynically done to prove the effectiveness of a shorter week, but there is definitely some merit to it in an office enviroment. In fact, most offices I know are implementing a working at home policy where each employee must work 1-2 days at home per week. The purpose is to reduce the costs of maintaining a larger number of desk spaces for everyone in an expensive city. The expectation naturally is that productivity must not drop or it will be revised.

The four day work week can be justified for similar reasons but there are many more too in terms of work life balance and even benefitting the service economy.

Lastly, you don't need to worry too much about what the big corps will think, they just care about profit and our Corp tax rate. I used to work in an American bank, who work their employees notoriously hard, and they liked the Irish because we would work hard. The Italian branch, doing the exact same job, had all of August off and 30 days leave besides because that's how Italy works. It didn't cause them to leave Italy or pay them any less relatively speaking. I suppose where it could hit Ireland is for global or regional service centres, but it is the service industry that would struggle most and imaginative rostering will be a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Of course all workers are in favour of this. Sure why wouldn't they? Less work!

I see people say "it should be a 4 day week, my work can be done in 4 days but I just spread it over 5, it's stupid!".

Yeah but that's not how it's supposed to be. If you work 5 days you're supposed to have 5 days work. You're not being efficient. If you did all your work in 4 days, you'd be given more work on the 5th day. There's always something else to be done or could be done.

And do I believe people will suddenly put their head down for 4 days and get all their work done? No...over time it'll eventually be "I do 3 days work spread across 4."

Some lad on another forum was acting like a 4 day week would be some kind of magic bean for the economy. "Imagine the extra time we could spend on our hobbies, further education....imagine all the extra money we'd spend during our time off!"

Asking people if they think a 4 day week is better is like asking someone if getting paid more is better.

Advertisement