Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign for four-day working week officially launches in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think flexible working arrangements should be at least looked at by employers. There's no 'one size fits all' but an array of options which could work. And in some instances, none at all

In my workplace, there are people who work 4 days out of 5, or 9 days out of 10, with their hours adjusted so that they receive full pay. There are others, such as those with young children, who have taken a temporary pay cut to work shorter hours for a few years. Others such as myself, work from home one or two days a week, which makes a huge difference.

I work for a large organisation, so there are enough staff to keep the place open for five days and organise everyone into designated days, so that won't necessarily work for smaller companies. If its feasible to only operate for four days a week, then great

All those things are great and I'd agree with you on every single point.

But what is being asked for here is 5 days pay for 4 days work.

Not Flexible hours , not flexible locations , not reduced hours for reduced pay etc.

5 days pay for 4 days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All those things are great and I'd agree with you on every single point.

But what is being asked for here is 5 days pay for 4 days work.

Not Flexible hours , not flexible locations , not reduced hours for reduced pay etc.

5 days pay for 4 days work.

ok fair enough, but playing devils advocate, is there proof that there could be a sufficient increase in productivity on the 4 days by reducing the total number of hours people work. Same targets need to be met etc, just less time @rseing around? I have no idea if it could work or not, but definitely worth looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

seamus wrote: »
    37.5 is the typical in my experience. 9-5:30 with an hour for lunch.

I dunno. I've never come across a company that doesn't have a lot of downtime. You very rarely come across anyone who's flat out from the time they clock in until they clock out. I'm not going to claim this is the majority, but I'd be surprised if half of all companies couldn't implement a four day week to some extent.

Ultimately the goal should not be here to create a new "standard" week. The days of a standard working week are coming to an end. The goal here should be to get companies to be more open to considering alternative arrangements, be they 4-day weeks, 3-day weeks, home working, etc.

We're at the point now where the realities of life don't really slot into a five-day, 9-5 week. So the companies that learn to be more flexible and allow employees to drive their own schedules, at the ones that'll attract the best people.

Many areas of pharmaceuticals. So much goddamn work.

Advertisement