Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician to fit a camera

• 26-09-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Nest outdoor camera and was looking to see if anyone knows of someone that could fit it for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Nest outdoor camera and was looking to see if anyone knows of someone that could fit it for me?

Thanks.

Which camera is it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

knipex wrote: »
    Which camera is it ??

Just the Nest outdoor cam

https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_cam_outdoor

That is a Power over Ethernet camera. Doesn't require a separate power source just a cat 5 cable terminated with RJ45 plugs

Do you have an appropriate POE switch ??

What are you using the camera for ?? With teh new rules not sure if you will need a PSA registered installer

BUT

If you can run in the Ethernet cable and install 2 wall plugs then all you have to do is crimp the two ends.

If you intend to play a bit with ethernet stuff then buy a cheap crimping tool €10 l and a handful of connectors

https://www.satworld.ie/rj45-rj11-crimping-tool.htm
    https://www.satworld.ie/cat6-rj45-ethernet-connector-1.html

You can pick them up in B&Q \ electrical wholesaler or online. A cheap crimping tool should be around €10 to €15 and you shoudl be able to get 10 plugs for around €2

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have something similar, basically it only requires a power point, is that right? You need a licence to install security cameras, so most probably won't do it (licence is expensive I hear). Saying that, you don't need a licence to install an external power socket. After that, it's just a drill and a ladder you'd need.

MarkR wrote: »
    I have something similar, basically it only requires a power point, is that right? You need a licence to install security cameras, so most probably won't do it (licence is expensive I hear). Saying that, you don't need a licence to install an external power socket. After that, it's just a drill and a ladder you'd need.

No Power point required its POE

• Advertisement

The video seems to show a similar setup to my own. Maybe i'm wrong.

The video seems to show a similar setup to my own. Maybe i'm wrong.

Sorry.

You are 100% correct.

I misread the specs..

Thanks for the replies, from the video it doesnt look too bad but i am completely useless at this kind of stuff and noway i would be allowed drill holes in the house so ideally need someone who knows what there doing!

Get the external socket sorted with an electrician, and see if they'll finish the rest of it for you.

Get the external socket sorted with an electrician, and see if they'll finish the rest of it for you.

Cool thanks..ill look into it. Know aby electricians willing to do it?!

• Advertisement

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Cool thanks..ill look into it. Know aby electricians willing to do it?!

Sorry, I'm out in Shannon.

Advertisement