Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you divested from fossil fuels?

Options
  • 26-09-2019 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Well we've seen a lot of groups (like Norway's oil fund) start to move away from investing in fossil fuels and associated companies. Have you done anything similar with your pension fund? Or if you have active investments maybe?

Or even other stuff like getting solar panels in?

I wanted to go down that route but turns out there's a lot of scamming in it, and they don't make much economic sense for my part of the world - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49566130

As regards to investments, I'm a passive investor and just want to track the market.

Comments

As regards to investments, I'm a passive investor and just want to track the market.

I would surmise you're more of a fisherman, innocuously casting a "passive investor" line. You might even get a few bites from the gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I would surmise you're more of a fisherman, innocuously casting a "passive investor" line.

Mine are split between funds tracking the MSCI Dev World Index and the FTSE Global All Cap Index. But yeah, good for you man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Climate activists are wasting their time lobbying investors to ditch fossil fuel stocks, according to Bill Gates, the billionaire Microsoft co-founder who is one of the world's most prominent philanthropists. Those who want to change the world would do better to put their money and energy behind the disruptive technologies that slow carbon emissions and help people adapt to a warming world, Mr Gates told the Financial Times. "Divestment, to date, probably has reduced about zero tons of emissions. It's not like you've capital-starved [the] people making steel and gasoline," he said. "I don't know the mechanism of action where divestment [keeps] emissions [from] going up every year. I'm just too damn numeric."

Mr Gates questioned the divestment movement's "theory of change," arguing that investors who want to use their money to promote progress will have better results by funding innovative businesses such as Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods, two alternative protein companies he has backed. "When I'm taking billions of dollars and creating breakthrough energy ventures and funding only companies who, if they're successful, reduce greenhouse gases by 0.5 percent, then I actually do see a cause and effect type thing," he said.
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/09/17/213231/fossil-fuel-divestment-has-zero-climate-impact-says-bill-gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

And which way do you think the massively overheated market is going to go?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've moved away from investing in fossil fuels and associated companies

• Advertisement

And which way do you think the massively overheated market is going to go?

Well over the next three decades, I expect upwards. I mean... otherwise I wouldn't be in them. Why would I?!
    Boom_Bap wrote:
    I've moved away from investing in fossil fuels and associated companies

Did you shift your focus, or move some of that into renewables or anything? I'm interested to hear. I know some of the SRI funds have but others jsut leave the energy hole alone.

Well over the next three decades, I expect upwards.

Good luck with that one. I hope you're not basing your retirement on that assumption.

Good luck with that one. I hope you're not basing your retirement on that assumption.

Lol, go on then tell us what the retirement contributions should be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's up to industries around the world to make change, not Mick next door putting up a solar panel. Pointless, and has no effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Pension funds omg seriously...

Investment in something in the early 80's which was supposedly a square deal...

You're best just to put away cash, and save it for retirement.

Many a man and woman invested in a low risk pension's, and got a small percentage of their cash back...

Ecoli Water filters supposedly are a great investment...

Don't say I suggested it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought most people's retirement plans were to die in the climate wars?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I thought most people's retirement plans were to die in the climate wars?

They'll be frozen asset's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Be hilarious when people realize how expensive heat pumps are as they guzzle electricity all day as they are constantly on and are crazy expensive to run.

Oh and most of them corrode after a few years.

Let’s see how much people care about climate change then.

Lol, go on then tell us what the retirement contributions should be in?

I'm not going to give you investment advice, but am extremely skeptical of your rosy assumption about stock market indices over the next three decades.

News: IKEA pledges 1 billion euros to help slow climate change.
    But knowing IKEA, it will take forever to put the money together.

I'm not going to give you investment advice, but am extremely skeptical of your rosy assumption about stock market indices over the next three decades.

Oh I'm seeking no advice from you :D , was just curious. I don't have a rosy assumption, just playing the best odds with what I have. I certainly don't know better than the global averaged market so I won't even try.

Oh I'm seeking no advice from you :D , was just curious. I don't have a rosy assumption, just playing the best odds with what I have. I certainly don't know better than the global averaged market so I won't even try.

It's certainly possible to do much better than the market average — Buffett and others have done it for decades. But if you stick with index funds over the next three decades, your gains are likely to be poor.

Advertisement