Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which end of earth to use?

Options
  • 26-09-2019 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi,

Swapping out a white plastic light switch with a metal one. The earth cable has one end looped around the neutral sheathing and one end connected to a block. Which part of the earth should I use to connect to the new metal switch?
    See photo attached
    Thanks

https://ibb.co/b1y62gP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

That's the earth from each incoming cable twisted together, remove it from the connector and use it to earth the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

That's the earth from each incoming cable twisted together, remove it from the connector and use it to earth the switch.

Or alternatively, connect a new piece of earth wire into earth connector block and connect to switch. This may make it easier to terminate into switch plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Really those cpcs should be independently sleeved, rather than twisted together and covered by one bit of sleeving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

All earth ends twisted like that into a single sleeve is a cowboy job in my opinion. No thought of the possibility of needing to separate them at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Bruthal wrote: »
    All earth ends twisted like that into a single sleeve is a cowboy job in my opinion. No thought of the possibility of needing to separate them at some stage.

That doesn’t surprise me at all, new build house (2 years old). A lot of the work is shoddy, redoing it all bit by bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That doesn’t surprise me at all, new build house (2 years old). A lot of the work is shoddy, redoing it all bit by bit.

Well whe I say cowboy job, it's more that I find it very annoying trying to separate them which happens sometimes. Most I've seen twist them all into one. I prefer individual sleeved.

Advertisement