Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager smoking - what to do - has own money from job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

Taxes consolidation Act 1997
    1047.—(1) Where a person chargeable to income tax is an infant or dies—

(a) the parent or guardian of the infant shall be liable for the tax in default of payment by the infant, and

If that is your proof that an parent is entitled to have their child's salary paid to the parent, you are completely wrong in your assertion. Your reference above is to an 'infant' or dead person, a working child is not an infant and hopefully not deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You should punish him for smoking.Furthermore, the money he earns is your money. You are liable to tax on it. You're entitled to go to the employer and have the money paid to you as is a minor, being under the age of 18. You should take no more nonsense.

What are YOU smoking? Talk about nonsense.

Honestly OP, there is absolutely nothing you can do to deter anyone from smoking. All you'll do is make them get better at hiding it.

I don't know one kid who smoked when i was growing up who stopped because of any punishments from parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In my day if a teenager of any age was caught smoking they wouldn't be able to sit down.
    How much higher were the smoking rates in your day compared to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

In my day if a teenager of any age was caught smoking they wouldn't be able to sit down.

Yeah and polio was rampant in your day as well thankfully the world has moved on and improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Yeah and polio was rampant in your day as well thankfully the world has moved on and improved.

Are you saying smoking caused polio? when are you going to share this amazing medical discovery with the world?

• Advertisement

How much higher were the smoking rates in your day compared to now?

Much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Which obviously didn't do the slightest bit of good, your generation smoked way more than the current one, who are smoking less despite the bad example set for them over the last 60 years or so.

Tobacco companies and advertising got people hooked through putting addictive substances in cigarettes and suggestive marketing campaigns. Between that and seeing so many older people that they look up to smoking, teenagers are easily hooked. It's the fault of the adults not the children, and anyone who thinks beating them is the answer is a complete arsehole.

If that is your proof that an parent is entitled to have their child's salary paid to the parent, you are completely wrong in your assertion. Your reference above is to an 'infant' or dead person, a working child is not an infant and hopefully not deceased.

an infant means a minor or person under 18, not a "Ryanair" infant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

an infant means a minor or person under 18, not a "Ryanair" infant.

Where does it clarify that?
    And why doesn't it just say "child" if that's the case, which would cover babies/infants/toddlers/kids/tweens/teenagers? Why the need to use the word infant if they meant child, or minor?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Where does it clarify that?
    And why doesn't it just say "child" if that's the case, which would cover babies/infants/toddlers/kids/tweens/teenagers? Why the need to use the word infant if they meant child, or minor?

Infant has a legal meaning. Colloquially infant refers to a small child but legally means a person under 18. either minor or infant ca be used. why they useed one or the other is immaterial.

Age of Majority Act 1985.
    .—(1) Where a person has not attained the age of twenty-one years prior to the commencement of this Act, he shall, subject to section 4 , attain full age—

(a) on such commencement if he has attained the age of eighteen years or is or has been married, or

(b) after such commencement when he attains the age of eighteen years or, in case he marries before attaining that age, upon his marriage.

(2) Subsection (1) applies for the purposes of any rule of law and, in the absence of a definition or of any indication of a contrary intention, for the construction of “age of majority”, “full age”, “infancy”, “infant”, “minor”, “minority” and of other cognate words and expressions in—

(a) any statutory provision passed or made before, on or after the commencement of this Act, and

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Motormadcork

Get him to smoke a 20 box one after eachother, wont be long giving them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm another one in my thirties who smoked as a teenager. My mother tried most of the suggestions in this thread, it made no difference, I just got really good at hiding it. I smoked til I was 25, I think she still thinks I stopped at 17 (the last time I was caught).

He's a minor and he shouldn't be smoking, but like someone else said - I don't know anyone who stopped because they were punished.

I'm another one in my thirties who smoked as a teenager. My mother tried most of the suggestions in this thread, it made no difference, I just got really good at hiding it. I smoked til I was 25, I think she still thinks I stopped at 17 (the last time I was caught).

He's a minor and he shouldn't be smoking, but like someone else said - I don't know anyone who stopped because they were punished.

I do, but it was a long time ago when punishment was allowed.

Well your repeated implication that a good clattering is the only answer is probably not very helpful. What sort of other problems did those people grow up to have? There's a reason corporal punishment isn't a recommended approach.

Punishment is still allowed. Beating up children is not allowed.

Punishment is still allowed. Beating up children is not allowed.
    Punishment is punishment. Beating up is beating up.

So what sort of punishment are you advocating then?

So what sort of punishment are you advocating then?

The punishment that fits the crime.

The punishment that fits the crime.

Which is what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Kids who got a hiding grow up to be adults who give hidings.

• Advertisement

Fully agree. Once you don't go round hitting people, particularly small, young people, you'll be fine.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

A reminder to all that suggestions or hinting at physical punishment towards a child is not allowed on this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He won't give up until he himself really wants to.

I was on almost 60 a day when I stopped, but when I wanted to stop, I just stopped. It wasn't easy by any means, but it was my decision.

At 16, there is still unfortunately an element of 'I'm being told to do it so I won't, even if I actually want to'. People are not logical beings, otherwise none of us would smoke or partake in other health impairing activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

He's 16. He's a child. His parent has a legal obligation to pay for things like school lunches, bus fares and clothes. His money from his part time job is for 'extras' and unfortunately he's chosen to spend it on smoking. It's very frustrating and he's being very silly but IMO making him pay for essential expenses is not the answer.

You are not legally obligated to pay for a hot school lunch (they can bring brennans bread with cheese from home), pay a bus fare (they can bike), expensive clothes (though they should of course have the basic necessary clothing), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Myself and my brothers were told in no uncertain terms when we started school that if we started smoking we would not be fed, the threats worked because me or any of my brothers smoked, there was also the fear of my father finding out and getting a severe reprimand off him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Growing up, I had a friend who started smoking and who's parents found out.

They grounded him for weeks and when he was eventually allowed back out, they would smell his fingers anytime he would come home to see if he was smoking again. He just started wearing gloves when he would smoke and sprayed himself with unholy amounts of lynx deodrant. He got caught numerous times after, with different punishments following everytime.

My friend still smokes like a train to this day, so all the attempts at his parents in order to get him to stop failed.

At 16, you're too thick to truly understand the potential implications later in life and the last think a 16 year old wants is to be told what they can or can't do. I always wanted what I couldn't have even more.

He could well be addicted now and simply enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Hi Op. I had this. My son started working at 16 (part time) and I found cigs (and weed :confused:). He is now 18 and doesn't smoke anymore. He "grew out of it". Vanity kicked in with him too. His skin became very bad at 17 and I told him smoking certainly doesn't help !!! Maybe target your son's vanity??? It worked for me. Threats of lung disease/cancer just does not register with a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

spurious wrote: »
    He won't give up until he himself really wants to.

I was on almost 60 a day when I stopped, but when I wanted to stop, I just stopped. It wasn't easy by any means, but it was my decision.

At 16, there is still unfortunately an element of 'I'm being told to do it so I won't, even if I actually want to'. People are not logical beings, otherwise none of us would smoke or partake in other health impairing activities.

60 a day? How does anyone even have time for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

machaseh wrote: »
    You are not legally obligated to pay for a hot school lunch (they can bring brennans bread with cheese from home), pay a bus fare (they can bike), expensive clothes (though they should of course have the basic necessary clothing), etc.

Fine, but these things need to be provided for. I had parents who didn't think it was their responsibility to provide me with basic needs like a lunch at school or bus fares (my school was over 6 miles from my house on a very dangerous road!) and I have never quite stopped resenting them for it. They seemed to think a teenager could fend for herself when in fact parents are legally obliged to provide food, shelter, transport to school, etc. A part time job should be used for extras. No child in full time education should be working to pay for essentials. simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Fine, but these things need to be provided for. I had parents who didn't think it was their responsibility to provide me with basic needs like a lunch at school or bus fares (my school was over 6 miles from my house on a very dangerous road!)

In such a scenario I would simply not go to school. My parents would then be in violation of their duty to have their underage kids in school and law enforcement would step in.

What did they expect you to do, walk 6 miles along a very dangerous road?

Advertisement