Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tent recommendations please

• 26-09-2019 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi wild campers,

Sorry for the long post. It's not strictly wild camping related (so mods please feel free to move if there is somewhere more appropriate to post this), but I figure you folks are the best able to advise. I'm looking for a tent.

I do a fair bit of motorbike camping. My trusty 12 year old Lichfield Treklite has finally given up and needs replacing. Truth be told, it was too small. Trying to manoeuvre into soggy bike leathers in a lying position isn't easy. Also, there was nowhere to store said soggy gear. My other tent is a Vango Spey 400+ which is 6kg+. I use that when I'm staying in the same place for several days as a base camp and touring out from there. That way I've plenty of space to strip the bike and tour on an empty bike.....far more enjoyable. The tent I'm looking for will be much smaller and quicker to pitch and strike.

My wish list is below (but none of these are deal breakers):
    Alloy poles, all in one quick to pitch, one person + significant amounts of gear, some wet, some that has to be kept dry (i.e. Helmet, in the tent with me). Small packing is important specifically not too long a package, but weight isn't really a major factor 2-4kg is fine. Budget is a factor, but it's realistic. I'm happy to spend a bit more if it's justified, but not spending it for the sake of spending it. Decent headroom and plenty of pockets inside.

Options I've come across (in no particular order) -
    1. Vango Torridor 200 (snobbery putting me off, vestibule may be a bit small and there's no ground sheet under it)
    2. MSR Elixer 2 - look awesome, but not pitched as one. no groundsheet under vestibule
    3. MSR Tour 1 or 2 - again awesome, possibly perfect - but a hefty price tag.
    4. Berghaus Cairngorm 2 - not seeing a lot wrong with that.

Any others suggestions / opinions on my options above? Or indeed suggestions of tents to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement