Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wednesday Night War *Spoilers for AEW and NXT*

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh you might be right just my FiteTV account is was set up in the States and I pay in dollars and watch AEW on it.

I don’t use a VPN to watch it so maybe it’s like Netflix then whatever region you are in you get shown that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah I think it is possible to watch with a VPN if you're in America so you're right there.
    Bryan Alvarez has said not a significant amount watched through Peacock but I'd be curious how many did.
    Also curious how he knows considering streamers don't really give out their viewing data but that's another story.

It’s probably a safe bet with Peacock to say not many watched on it, it has been a disaster with take up on subs since it started and is losing billions.

Well to be fair all of these streaming services are losing billions especially one as recent as Peacock. Their subscriber count is actually quite good, ahead of expectations at least. There's plenty of round for them to make up but they're not a write-off yet certainly.

The subscriber up take is ok on the free service the paid service not so much.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any evidence to prove or disprove that. Certainly we can't tell how much of their 30 million plus sign-ups are free or paid though. Again though with a streaming service that has just launched like Peacock their first year (at the very least) is about brand recognition.

It's much more prominent in the App charts recently suggesting people are checking it out. They don't have the brand recognition of a Disney+ or HBO Max. Right now they need to build the brand before they can worry about a massive amount of subscribers jumping aboard and paying.

They are just working the numbers in the same Vince did with the Network saying total subscribers and not saying how many used the free trial etc.
    NBCUniversal’s Peacock streaming service has signed up 33 million subscribers, Comcast announced during the company’s earnings report for the fourth quarter of 2020.

There are several caveats to that statistic: Comcast did not clarify how many of those sign-ups were paid subscribers, and it is unclear how many users have actively used the service after signing up. Peacock has a free, ad-supported subscription tier, as well as $4.99 and $9.99 ad-free subscription options that offer more content. Comcast stated that Peacock generated $100 million in revenue in Q4 but added that Peacock is estimated to post $2 billion in losses in 2020 and 2021.

Regardless, Peacock’s sign-ups, which were announced six months after the streaming service’s national rollout, indicate continued demand for streaming platforms in a market that’s only growing more crowded.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/peacock-subscribers-2021-beats-expectations-1234612695/

There are several caveats to that statistic: Comcast did not clarify how many of those sign-ups were paid subscribers, and it is unclear how many users have actively used the service after signing up.
    This is what I'm saying. We don't know, of course that's very deliberate but my point is we can't jump to the conclusion that subscribers are all flocking to the free tier and no one is paying, we have nothing to suggest that.

Part of the subscribers will also have Peacock through their TV Package. We just don't know and likely won't anytime soon. Which is why I'm dubious of Alvarez touting numbers. People who work in the entertainment industry haven't been able to find a consistent metric with how to measure viewers on streaming service but Alvarez has it sorted in 24 hours, I'm skeptical.

Again you could be right but Peacock working at a loss is nothing unexpected and their numbers are not bad at all. If we want to talk failure look to Apple TV+ or Paramount+.

Oh they all have disgusting debts when you look at the parent companies.

AT&T (HBO Max) has $145B.

Comcast (Peacock) has $108B.

Disney $41B

ViacomCBS (Paramount+) has $20B.

Netflix has $15B

For sure, these things are investments for the future. That's why I think it's premature to see Peacock as failing.
    It's not a Quibi or an outlier, It's got the might of Comcast behind it, it's gonna be here for a while and would be shocked as time goes on if it doesn't succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Oh they all have disgusting debts when you look at the parent companies.

AT&T (HBO Max) has $145B.

Comcast (Peacock) has $108B.

Disney $41B

ViacomCBS (Paramount+) has $20B.

Netflix has $15B
    Cripes, in a warped world I would of said Netflix are managing things better than the others but then again they are charging me 18 euro for absolute ****e.

No one wants to take into account how many watch AEW on FiteTV in the States over the last 18 months either a sub on FiteTV would be a lot cheaper for a lot of fans than paying for cable TV.

Dynamite isn't on FiteTV in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,708 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

^^ Easier to do when you have a million factions though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

^^ Easier to do when you have a million factions though

It's almost like they planned it... Not like there's a lack of supreme talent in WWE to build something similar :)

Advertisement