Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting ties with Taiwan

Options
  • 26-09-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Kiribati has recently cut ties with Taiwan, effectively recognizing China`s sovereignty over Taiwan. This comes after the Solomon Islands cut ties with Taiwan. Both Kiribati and the Solomon Islands are seriously threatened by rising sea levels and China builds man made islands so perhaps they came to an understanding. My own view is that Taiwan is Chinese territory but that China would be better off leaving the island govern itself rather than assert its authority over the territory, which could mean war. China seems to have a similar perspective on the matter but even so, it is asserting its soft power as a peaceful way making its presence felt.

Could China use its growing influence to win friends and influence people? Not just to get countries to cut ties with Taiwan but in geopolitics generally? Should Ireland cut ties with Taiwan if China helped us in some way? My own view is no, but we should recognize China`s claim over Taiwan and we should do so because that is the right thing to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We changed our allegiance to PRC decades and decades ago. Do keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As above. If a Taiwanese diplomat (they have a 'representative office' here, not an embassy) turns up at an event and PRC diplomats are there also, Irish civil servants and diplomats either hide behind a potted plant or throw themselves out the nearest window lest they be seen to undermine the one China policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Taiwan should give up their claims over China, and declare independence ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didn't the Americans win control of ROC after WW2?

I've been there several times, the people are certainly not wanting to become PRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. My own view is that Taiwan is Chinese territory

What do the people of Taiwan want? Cos that's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Taiwan should give up their claims over China, and declare independence ...

The Chinese Navy would leave port to invade 30 minutes later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I'll happily recognise Taiwan as part of China for a quick cash payment. Just in case there's any PRC people on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

but we should recognize China`s claim over Taiwan and we should do so because that is the right thing to do.

You do remember that the UK used to have a claim over the whole of Ireland?

How would you feel about another country recognising such a claim?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The wishes of the Chinese also matters as they own Taiwan but I take your point and I think the Chinese do consider what the Taiwanese want, if they didn`t, they would have taken the territory by now.

Your point is certainly true when applied to Crimea and it should also apply to eastern Ukraine but as you know, leaders in the west tend to be hypocritical and only defend the wishes of the people when it suits them. To be fair, Trump is proving to be both open minded and a pacifist. Trump has not entered upon any war and has tried to disengage US troops around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Iv been a few times. Locals were very insistent that "Taiwan is not China".

However China has other ideas. They may not stage a full scale invasion but they will use economic and political muscle against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement