Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkway Roundabout to get lights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

MarkR wrote: »
    I won't hold my breath, but anything has to be better than the current setup.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/480854/signal-junction-planned-for-one-of-limericks-most-painful-traffic-black-spots.html

There is a special place in hell for those who sneak up in the left hand lane and don't go into the Parkway SC.

Northern Trust roundabout is nearly worse now, people in wrong lanes full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There is a special place in hell for those who sneak up in the left hand lane and don't go into the Parkway SC.

Agreed. Also send down those who try to cut in from the inner (RH) lane on the Mackey roundabout to go towards Finnegans in the morning. Wrong lane bozo! We are not queuing here for fun.

Lock 'em out bumper to bumper. No leniency for queue jumpers (exceptions allowed where queue is full back to m'way on-ramp of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭lazyman

Are the lights replacing the roundabout or are the lights going on the roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'd guess they are just sticking Lights on the roundabout...

.....you know, like the Red cow Roundabout (and many others) used to be. Until Dublin City/County Council could see that it only made things even worse.

Meanwhile the Limerick Crowd spent around €5 million putting in (sorry, Replacing) a few Parking spaces beside the Railway station, they spent another large chunk on changing Wickham St from 2 lanes to 1 (and put in a bicycle lane that just leads into a bottleneck ???), they are still farting around with the end of Sexton St ( and causing havoc every morning), another few hundred thousand on these ridiculous widened footpaths at certain junctions (top of Mallow St for example).....

All of that money could have been used to actually redesign and help rebuild the P/Way Junction as a smaller version of the new Red Cow Roundabout for example.

Rant over, at least regarding the Parkway Roundabout ;).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'd guess they are just sticking Lights on the roundabout...

.....you know, like the Red cow Roundabout (and many others) used to be. Until Dublin City/County Council could see that it only made things even worse.

Meanwhile the Limerick Crowd spent around €5 million putting in (sorry, Replacing) a few Parking spaces beside the Railway station, they spent another large chunk on changing Wickham St from 2 lanes to 1 (and put in a bicycle lane that just leads into a bottleneck ???), they are still farting around with the end of Sexton St ( and causing havoc every morning), another few hundred thousand on these ridiculous widened footpaths at certain junctions (top of Mallow St for example).....

All of that money could have been used to actually redesign and help rebuild the P/Way Junction as a smaller version of the new Red Cow Roundabout for example.

Rant over, at least regarding the Parkway Roundabout ;).

The whole of Parnell St., Wickham.St. and the park are being done as part of the same.job. So no, they didn't spend €5m on a car park and then more on Wickham St. and even more on footpaths.

And it's highly unlikely they are just going to signalise the Parkway RAB, when the plans for the Shannon Bridge RAB were for it to be completely removed and replaced by a signalised junction.

Oh and there are still signalised RABs around Dublin. The Red Cow was redesigned because it was way over capacity. Nothing to do with the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given Limerick drivers attitude towards red lights, this will be great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Fine Gael member reported that a home heating oil truck was caught in a yellow box, meaning no traffic could move for five minutes.

This is a constant issue at that roundabout, meaning that trying to go right from the Childers road towards Castletroy takes forever, as people don't give a crap about blocking the lane, they just want to make sure they don't lose their place in the queue.

What kind of punishment could be given to a driver who did this? Is there even one?

And is it possible for such a punishment to be given out even if their driving was just captured by a camera recording the roundabout. I don't know the legalities of any of it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

osarusan wrote: »
    This is a constant issue at that roundabout, meaning that trying to go right from the Childers road towards Castletroy takes forever, as people don't give a crap about blocking the lane, they just want to make sure they don't lose their place in the queue.

What kind of punishment could be given to a driver who did this? Is there even one?

And is it possible for such a punishment to be given out even if their driving was just captured by a camera recording the roundabout. I don't know the legalities of any of it.

and can such punishment be given out based only on

I think we should all have forward mounted paintball guns. Everyone gets one shot a week, so use it wisely. If you car is shot three times in a week, you get put in the stocks on one of our new pedestrianised streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

The Parkway roundabout actually works for those coming from the Castletroy side and those coming from town/Dublin road, and those coming from Rhebouge. Its busy for those coming from Castletroy in the evening but it works as well as can be. The roundabout doesnt work for those coming from Childers road though, and traffic lights will only benefit them. This will have an a big affect on Castletroy to City Traffic. So if you think its bad now, it about to get a lot worse. Its often backed up to lights at TK Maxx, but can see traffic going way back towards Groody if lights come into operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

damowill wrote: »
    The Parkway roundabout actually works for those coming from the Castletroy side and those coming from town/Dublin road, and those coming from Rhebouge. Its busy for those coming from Castletroy in the evening but it works as well as can be. The roundabout doesnt work for those coming from Childers road though, and traffic lights will only benefit them. This will have an a big affect on Castletroy to City Traffic. So if you think its bad now, it about to get a lot worse. Its often backed up to lights at TK Maxx, but can see traffic going way back towards Groody if lights come into operation.
    I've stopped travelling in that direction. Been burnt far too many times. I will take the Bloodmill Road if going towards Castletroy direction, or around by Ballysimon, anything to avoid the roundabout from the Childers Road direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I remember as a child that Childers Road/Dublin Road junction used to be a T junction with traffic lights back in the 1980s before the Parkway shopping centre was built there. It begs belief the idea of giving planning permission to build a shopping centre right at the corner of where the two busiest roads in the city meet but I'm sure there was probably a brown envelop or two involved somewhere along the way. When the shopping centre was built they put the entrance/exit onto the Dublin road slightly back from the existing roundabout which caused all sorts of chaos at the time. They then had the great idea of redesigning the entire junction and replacing the traffic lights with a roundabout and we all know how that turned out. Now they are sticking traffic lights on the roundabout to further compound the already stupid design. That junction was too busy for a roundabout and I fear putting traffic lights on it will now only result in queues of traffic all all sides approaching it. It needs to be properly redesigned but it will cost serious money and we know they don't have or won't get the money so these after thought solutions will go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Absolutely infuriating. Happens all the time and I've been passing there years and never once saw someone pulled over for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Absolutely infuriating. Happens all the time and I've been passing there years and never once saw someone pulled over for it.
    Based on anecdotal evidence, BMW/Audi drivers are far-and-away the biggest culprits too. Just to reinforce the stereotype :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Based on anecdotal evidence, BMW/Audi drivers are far-and-away the biggest culprits too. Just to reinforce the stereotype :rolleyes:

I would add Passat and Ford drivers to the list too, seem to be regular culprits based on my experience of driving to work in the mornings

eljono wrote: »
    I would add Passat and Ford drivers to the list too, seem to be regular culprits based on my experience of driving to work in the mornings

All Fords drivers? Even those driving Kas and Fiestas? That's harsh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    I remember as a child that Childers Road/Dublin Road junction used to be a T junction with traffic lights back in the 1980s before the Parkway shopping centre was built there. It begs belief the idea of giving planning permission to build a shopping centre right at the corner of where the two busiest roads in the city meet but I'm sure there was probably a brown envelop or two involved somewhere along the way. When the shopping centre was built they put the entrance/exit onto the Dublin road slightly back from the existing roundabout which caused all sorts of chaos at the time. They then had the great idea of redesigning the entire junction and replacing the traffic lights with a roundabout and we all know how that turned out. Now they are sticking traffic lights on the roundabout to further compound the already stupid design. That junction was too busy for a roundabout and I fear putting traffic lights on it will now only result in queues of traffic all all sides approaching it. It needs to be properly redesigned but it will cost serious money and we know they don't have or won't get the money so these after thought solutions will go on.

Did they used to have a slip road from Childers Rd going into the Parkway? It might solve the problems if they reopened one and maybe one exiting onto the dublin road towards town?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mc Love wrote: »
    Did they used to have a slip road from Childers Rd going into the Parkway? It might solve the problems if they reopened one and maybe one exiting onto the dublin road towards town?

I don't think so. I remember a halting site being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The entrance you can still see. It's where the green post box is by the fbd offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... these ridiculous widened footpaths at certain junctions (top of Mallow St for example).....

I only noticed that one there the other evening. Shocker. Who among us ever walked on that path and thought, "I'm a bit boxed in here, could do with more path".
    Unless they expect hoards to be seeking FÁS courses from post-Brexit job losses?:D Shouldn't laugh.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well if it stops the scumbags in Passats parking there and blocking the place up then it might actually improve things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mc Love wrote: »

Nope, there was an unofficial halting site where that green area is now. I'm not sure a slip road would improve the situation much anyway as the traffic in and out of the Parkway SC is fairly average bar maybe around Christmas. It's more the traffic going through the roundabout using using the Dublin and Childers roads cause the congestion. The traffic lights on the St Patrick's road also contributes to tail backs to the roundabout too.

The whole of Parnell St., Wickham.St. and the park are being done as part of the same.job. So no, they didn't spend €5m on a car park and then more on Wickham St. and even more on footpaths.
    My point was that this whole Parnell St project is just like 'putting lipstick on a pig', whereas if a decent sum of money was spent on actually improving a particularly bad traffic bottleneck it would benefit a lot more people.
    But, I'm sure the local council are more than capable of spending other people's money as prudently as possible in exactly the correct locations.

My point was that this whole Parnell St project is just like 'putting lipstick on a pig', whereas if a decent sum of money was spent on actually improving a particularly bad traffic bottleneck it would benefit a lot more people.
    But, I'm sure the local council are more than capable of spending other people's money as prudently as possible in exactly the correct locations.

Well both are happening so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Although if you're expecting fly overs like the red cow at an urban junction you'll be waiting quite a long time. That's never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What bottleneck?

The Parkway Junction.......:)

Well both are happening so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I'm probably complaining about the fact that only one of these Projects should be happening. Then more money could be spent on doing a decent job on the one that actually helps people get to work, School (and back home), etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'm probably complaining about the fact that only one of these Projects should be happening. Then more money could be spent on doing a decent job on the one that actually helps people get to work, School (and back home), etc.

Your talking about segregated cycle lanes I take it?

It's like you're reading my mind, Marty ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

JJ kavanaghs Buses always at it, Taxis the whole time. Bus Eireann have stopped since the return from summer, they used to be awful as well.

Once I saw a Garda there pulling people, needs to be done more frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Drives me nuts going to work in the mornings! And the rest of us dutifully queueing up in the appropriate lane...

Advertisement