Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkway Roundabout to get lights

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

boomerang wrote: »
    Drives me nuts going to work in the mornings! And the rest of us dutifully queueing up in the appropriate lane...

Imagine the money a cop could make for the state by handing out fines to these selfish motorists. He/she could justify their full week's wages in a single morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

To go back to my earlier question about punishment - is it not possible to put up traffic cameras and issue fines accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The Traffic Core could do with sitting at the bus stop on the road going down the hill from Castletroy to the Groody Roundabout as well.

Every evening the cars are flying down the bus lane - drives me to distraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

mitresize5 wrote: »
    The Traffic Core could do with sitting at the bus stop on the road going down the hill from Castletroy to the Groody Roundabout as well.

Every evening the cars are flying down the bus lane - drives me to distraction

they have done, garda traffic on twitter had images but its a while back, therein is the problem, not enough active enforcements so people know the risk of being caught and fined is small so risk it.

Targeted places like the bus lane and or the parkway s.c turning lane and dish out proper fines, none of this pissy e60/e80 a go hundreds of euro

think twice then wouldnt they !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Well, years ago the Gardai had a Garda on that roundabout(parkway) who basically forced people into the Parkway if you're in the left lane. The queue to get back out was mental and they all had to suffer the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

boomerang wrote: »
    Drives me nuts going to work in the mornings! And the rest of us dutifully queueing up in the appropriate lane...

The chancers that sneak up the RHS along the Groody Road to the Groody roundabout are braising. Forcing their way to the left to get on the road toward Park Hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

YFlyer wrote: »
    The chancers that sneak up the RHS along the Groody Road to the Groody roundabout are braising. Forcing their way to the left to get on the road toward Park Hotel.

That drives me nuts too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Had to deal with that for a while. You wouldn't mind only they think they have right of way to barge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Northern Trust roundabout is nearly worse now, people in wrong lanes full time.

100% agree and it's not just students heading to UL. People old enough to know better. Going to be some crack with the school gets built across from Northern Trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

topper75 wrote: »
    Agreed. Also send down those who try to cut in from the inner (RH) lane on the Mackey roundabout to go towards Finnegans in the morning. Wrong lane bozo! We are not queuing here for fun.

Lock 'em out bumper to bumper. No leniency for queue jumpers (exceptions allowed where queue is full back to m'way on-ramp of course).

The people who use that right hand lane to push their way in towards Finnegans need to be shot with balls of their own **** - scum of the earth. As you said, the only way to deter them is lock them out and then dare them to cut in in front of you while you are turning - 30 second blast of the horn and a middle finger to make the point if they don't get it.

• Advertisement

I hear yer frustration lads. And I've experienced it too. Morning after morning. Blood pressure up. Pissing away fuel going nowhere.

But this is just humans being humans.

The problems are huge huge planning and infrastructure failures. Over and over again.

The people using the right hand lane are correct when coming from the old Dublin road so they're merging legally and correctly. Those coming off the Motorway(Dublin side) are also correct to use the inner orbital lane(right lane) to take the Finnegans exit. It's only those coming from the Newport Road that should be in the left lane. Correct usage is to use the left lane up the 2nd exit OR 12 on a clock whichever occurs first and all other exists 2nd+ or after 12 on a clock for the inner orbital lane.

Solution should have been 2 inbound lanes not 2 outbound lanes but this would have adversely affected the access to Finnegans I guess.

Another thing is that when the roundabout was being upgraded, those from the Newport side would remember this, is that there was a large LED sign and metal signs telling those coming from Newport to use the right hand lane to get onto the Dublin road inbound which itself created bedlam. Many followed the signage rules(and maybe still do today) and others followed common practice by the rules of the road all meeting at the same point of the next exit.

Berty wrote: »
    The people using the right hand lane are correct when coming from the old Dublin road so they're merging legally and correctly. Those coming off the Motorway(Dublin side) are also correct to use the inner orbital lane(right lane) to take the Finnegans exit. It's only those coming from the Newport Road that should be in the left lane. Correct usage is to use the left lane up the 2nd exit OR 12 on a clock whichever occurs first and all other exists 2nd+ or after 12 on a clock for the inner orbital lane.

Solution should have been 2 inbound lanes not 2 outbound lanes but this would have adversely affected the access to Finnegans I guess.

Another thing is that when the roundabout was being upgraded, those from the Newport side would remember this, is that there was a large LED sign and metal signs telling those coming from Newport to use the right hand lane to get onto the Dublin road inbound which itself created bedlam. Many followed the signage rules(and maybe still do today) and others followed common practice by the rules of the road all meeting at the same point of the next exit.

Yeah but the issue is the traffic coming from the M7 (Limerick side) slip road - there can be a queue right up to and along the the hard shoulder in the correct lane and some entitled muppet will use the right hand lane and cut across to the Finnegans turn from there (when that right lane is specifically for traffic heading out towards Castleconnell/Tipp direction, not Castletroy).

Yeah but the issue is the traffic coming from the M7 (Limerick side) slip road - there can be a queue right up to and along the the hard shoulder in the correct lane and some entitled muppet will use the right hand lane and cut across to the Finnegans turn from there (when that right lane is specifically for traffic heading out towards Castleconnell/Tipp direction, not Castletroy).

I agree. I used the junction for over 11 years going both directions at around 8am(dropping somebody to work and then home) and I was heading on the right hand lane of the slip for Newport and there were people who would go down the right hand lane and then swing left and block me so they could take the finnegans exit. I'd let them know with the car horn.

Sometimes there are vehicles who refuse to use the hard shoulder(they're technically right in not wanting to be in the hard shoulder). Once saw a van driver in front of me roaring at a truck driver and then actually throw rubbish from his car at the cab. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've a solution - cycle to work and you wont have to deal with any of this traffic...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    I've a solution - cycle to work and you wont have to deal with any of this traffic...

Cycling around the Parkway Roundabout is a hell of an adrenaline rush, but it really does not suit everybody!

No I don't think I'd ever reach such a low point of self loathing that I'd devolve in to a cyclist - I'll keep the car thanks :D

No I don't think I'd ever reach such a low point of self loathing that I'd devolve in to a cyclist - I'll keep the car thanks :D

How do you know someone is a vegan cyclist?

Cycling around the Parkway Roundabout is a hell of an adrenaline rush, but it really does not suit everybody!

Is it really that bad? Surely you're just moving past slow moving/stopped motor traffic..
    HailSatan wrote: »
    How do you know someone is a vegan cyclist?

Oh because all vegans are cyclists :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are you not cycling along the segregated Childers Road cycle lane across the pedestrian crossing and onto the cycle land on the section of the Old Dublin Road towards UL (or vice versa)? That doesn't seen too dangerous to me.

Unless of course you choose to cycle on the road and through the roundabout ignoring one of the few places in the city that has half decent cycle lanes that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Kilmallock, Tipperary, Parkway and Groody Roundabouts will all become signalised junctions with dedicated cycle lane / tracks.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Kilmallock, Tipperary, Parkway and Groody Roundabouts will all become signalised junctions with dedicated cycle lane / tracks.

All these roundabouts already have have dedicated cycle ways running through them. And the Parkway is the only one that needs traffic lights.

Are you not cycling along the segregated Childers Road cycle lane across the pedestrian crossing and onto the cycle land on the section of the Old Dublin Road towards UL (or vice versa)? That doesn't seen too dangerous to me.

Unless of course you choose to cycle on the road and through the roundabout ignoring one of the few places in the city that has half decent cycle lanes that is.

You wouldnt be advocating cycling across a pedestrian crossing? Most of the cycle lanes in this country arent fit for purpose or mandatory.

pat-mustard-gif.gif

You wouldnt be advocating cycling across a pedestrian crossing? Most of the cycle lanes in this country arent fit for purpose or mandatory.

Well if you want to ignore a perfectly good segregated cycle lane and cycle through the Parkway roundabout, work away. I know which option I'd be taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

All these roundabouts already have have dedicated cycle ways running through them. And the Parkway is the only one that needs traffic lights.

Will include bus lanes also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I genuinely prefer the main road. The cycle lane is usually taken up by groups of teenagers, dog-walkers, parents with buggies, young lads with horses, or pedestrians who just don't realise they're not supposed to be walking on the tarmac.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Will include bus lanes also.

You have a source for any of this? I can't see any bus or cycle lane routes being decided until the LSMATS plan is finalised.

I genuinely prefer the main road. The cycle lane is usually taken up by groups of teenagers, dog-walkers, parents with buggies, young lads with horses, or pedestrians who just don't realise they're not supposed to be walking on the tarmac.

If this perfectly good segregated cycle lane is anything like the one in Dooradoyle that was rolled with a rolling pin and meaning you have to yield to traffic, I'd stick to the road also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement