Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming Bridges etc For Marginal Historical Figures Based On Gender

Options
  • 26-09-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭

A new bridge over the river Barrow has been named the Rose FitzGerald Kennedy Bridge.
    A different name received more votes from the public. Rose Kennedy is, at best, a very marginal historical figure. The mother of a dead US president and senator. She was never elected to office, didn’t invent anything or discover a cure for anything.
    Is naming bridges etc for figures based not on achievements but on gender or other criteria nonsense?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Shure dont we love anything to do with the Kennedys

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, its just 'women on a pedestal' men bad logic gone mad really.

a) How do you know she was selected based on gender?
    b) "She was never elected to office, didn’t invent anything or discover a cure for anything." - What has this got to do with anything? There are plenty of places/streets/monuments to people who don't fit any of those categories
    c) You do realise this is one of the central themes to the 2nd last Ross O'Carroll Kelly books.....where people get all in a tizzy about renaming things for women rather than men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A new bridge over the river Barrow has been named the Rose FitzGerald Kennedy Bridge.
    A different name received more votes from the public. Rose Kennedy is, at best, a very marginal historical figure. The mother of a dead US president and senator. She was never elected to office, didn’t invent anything or discover a cure for anything.
    Is naming bridges etc for figures based not on achievements but on gender or other criteria nonsense?

Use to be based on pecking order not achievements at all. Then it was popularity among peers. Now it's what evs...don't get triggered or outraged or whatever the kids call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

why do we even need to name to f**king bridges!?

Can we not just call it "Bridge 82B-712"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I definitely think there's a revisionist gender agenda regarding such naming.

I didn't know who Rosie Hackett was until they named a bridge after her. I definitely knew how Sean O'Casey and Samuel Beckett were before the bridges were named after them.

Still, we have to be fair and recognise that men have had it way easier to achieve prominence throughout history.

Despite that, there are plenty of ring roads named after male gobshíte local councilors who don't deserve to have a a manhole cover dedicated to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

who cares, it's a bridge, her family came from local stock. I'm a man, I have no problem with addressing the gender imbalance in these things but it will probably take decades if not centuries before things are evened out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do I need to care about this more than the Boaty McBoatface scandal (Read: not at all)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Who is this Rose? And how does she fit Gerald Kennedy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

From what I've read, it seems more like it was a local politics play by the Wexford councillors to get it named after someone related to their area, rather than the alternative geography based alternative, Pink Rock. Which makes sense, whatever marginal interest naming it after a Kennedy in an area that really pushed its connection to the Kennedys might arouse, naming it after a rock has no benefit at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wexford continues to extract every ounce from its Kennedy links.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't see the fuss here TBH. It's a Kennedy connection and she was the matriarch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

A bigger disgrace is the Mary McAleese Bridge.

Should have been called after Mary Harney, at least she actually did something with her life.

Fine Gael TD Catherine Byrne wanted to gentrify the Liberties by renaming it 'SOHO', for south of Heuston (station) after the red light district in London. What a jack ass. Didn't go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

osarusan wrote: »
    Wexford continues to extract every ounce from its Kennedy links.

Wexford County council does. Believe me the people of wexford are sick of it.

riemann wrote: »

Should have been called after Mary Harney, at least she actually did something with her life.

More an airport after Harney taking the state jet to open a pals pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe name it after her poor kid they put through a botched lobotomy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Name it Dan O'Herlihy bridge - Wexford actor who was in Robocop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maybe name it after her poor kid they put through a botched lobotomy?

That's actually what I thought it was at first, her name was
    also Rosemary

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah sure but not sick of the tourism

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Umm, why bother asking the public if the council were going to overrule it?

From what I've read, it seems more like it was a local politics play by the Wexford councillors to get it named after someone related to their area, rather than the alternative geography based alternative, Pink Rock. Which makes sense, whatever marginal interest naming it after a Kennedy in an area that really pushed its connection to the Kennedys might arouse, naming it after a rock has no benefit at all

Unless it was Fraggle Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It will be known by everyone as the Barrow Bridge. Formally I suppose it will be RFK Bridge and it may be shortened to that also.

No doubt there will be a plaque and a formal opening with all the sycophantic vote gathering councillors and TDs jostling to get into the picture.

Sorry for being so cynical, I probably shouldn't be that bad.

It is a magnificent feat of engineering though, and looks really great. Well done all involved, despite the teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

a) How do you know she was selected based on gender?
    b) "She was never elected to office, didn’t invent anything or discover a cure for anything." - What has this got to do with anything? There are plenty of places/streets/monuments to people who don't fit any of those categories
    c) You do realise this is one of the central themes to the 2nd last Ross O'Carroll Kelly books.....where people get all in a tizzy about renaming things for women rather than men

Have a look at what a Councillor said about the naming of the bridge. Would any politician speak about the strength JFK brought to the “men” of Ireland? No they would just say “people”.

“In explaining her preference for Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, Cllr O’Neill stated: “Naming the bridge in Rose Kennedy’s name reflects the strength she brought to the women of Ireland.”

Cllr Oisin O'Connell said he was “ very happy with Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy as it works on many levels, including social inclusion.”

What “social inclusion” boxes does the white, catholic, millionaire Rose Kennedy tick apart from her gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is this really a thread moaning about the naming a bridge after a woman.

Really?

Where do you people come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Tony EH wrote: »

Really?

Not because she is a woman but JUST because she is a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

riemann wrote: »

Its outrageous Joe

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tony EH wrote: »

Really?

Under a bridge?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The folk of New Ross I believe are beyond sick of everything around them being named after another Kennedy.

Not a shower I'd name anything after.

Advertisement