Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Old Bank Statements

Options
  • 26-09-2019 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there, had to approach my bank today with regard to getting old bank statements (going back to 2000 & 2001) I know this is a long time ago. They told me they only keep records now for 7 years which isn't that long, is this to do with GDPR read somewhere that transaction history is deleted after 7 years, I may need these statements for an up coming case to show certain transactions, is this the rule now and has anyone any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Do a freedom of information request. Be a lot cheaper & they give you everything they have on you

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Data Protection Subject Access Request not FOI in this circumstance, but if the data is gone it's not coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cork81

Thanks for info, yeah had thought about subject access request but my understanding is that is info they have on file, internal correspondence about your account etc and not all tranactions down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They will have records of all your transactions. Some banks will still deny a DPSAR or FOI request, even though they legally need to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Effects wrote: »
    They will have records of all your transactions. Some banks will still deny a DPSAR or FOI request, even though they legally need to comply.
    Banks aren't subject to FOI legislation.

OP, a Data Protection request covers all data the bank has on you, including transaction history. However, if they don't have the data anymore, they obviously can't give it to you. BOI's Data Privacy Notice (for example):
    7. How long we hold your information
    As a general rule, we keep your information for a specified period after the date on which a transaction has completed or you cease to be a customer. In most cases this period is seven (7) years, but may be twelve (12) years where we had a deed in place.

Also, even if they have data for the range you are looking for, it may not be useful to you: you may not be entitled to information on the recipient. The bank may just supply records that show that X amount left your account on a particular date.

If this is related to an upcoming case, you should be discussing all this with a solicitor

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement