Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing power

• 26-09-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I have a 2006 focus, 1.6 diesel. It just recently started loosing power , mainly going up any bit of a hill the speed will start dropping. It’s driving fine otherwise just is down in power in general

I’ve been told it could be the egr valve is blocked or maybe fuel filter ? Any ideas ?

Also for a 1.6 diesel , it’s quiet heavy on fuel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Any smoke from the exhaust when trying to accelerate?

Any drop in oil level?

Any hissing noises when accelerating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Any smoke from the exhaust when trying to accelerate?

Any drop in oil level?

Any hissing noises when accelerating?

Nope no smoke at all as far as I can see and no hissing noise. I haven’t checked the oil level though since it’s started happening , I’ll give a look there and see

If you had a boost leak you'd have black smoke and hissing noises.

Worn turbo oil seals would give you a dropping oil level and blue-ish smoke at times.

So you could probably rule those two out.

A dirty MAF would cause power loss so could be worth getting that checked.

The egr and diesel filter are good shouts too. The 1.6tdci focus has a poor enough egr that can be prone to malfunctioning and eventually failure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are the revs staying the same, or are they dropping/increasing when its losing power?

antodeco wrote: »
    Are the revs staying the same, or are they dropping/increasing when its losing power?

No the revs drop slowly as the speed drops

• Advertisement

If you had a boost leak you'd have black smoke and hissing noises.

Worn turbo oil seals would give you a dropping oil level and blue-ish smoke at times.

So you could probably rule those two out.

A dirty MAF would cause power loss so could be worth getting that checked.

The egr and diesel filter are good shouts too. The 1.6tdci focus has a poor enough egr that can be prone to malfunctioning and eventually failure.

Cheers hopefully it’s just the egr valve

Turns out it’s boost pressure so the turbo will have to be replaced. Is there anywhere that sells reconditioned turbos for a reasonable price ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Is the engine management light on and vehicle going into limp home mode?

cournioni wrote: »
    Is the engine management light on and vehicle going into limp home mode?

No lights on and not sure about limp mode but they plugged the machine in and boost pressure is what’s coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Try find out what code the fault is. I came across a P0299 "Underboost" fault on a MK2 Focus before and it was the boost pressure solenoid. With this though the car was getting the intermittent engine malfunction light and limp mode. Could be worth checking that or the hoses etc. first.

• Advertisement

This problem still hasn’t been sorted 700euro later. I’m pissed off at this stage , he serviced it and put a can of JLM extreme clean into the diesel. That didn’t work so he told me it’s the turbo , bought a reconditioned one and paid him to fit it and yeah it didn’t make one bit of a difference .

Car is still the exact same down in power , cos me 700euro for all those bits and for nothing. Any other suggestions because I don’t know any trust worthy mechanics near me.

A few friends suggested it could be injectors (which I doubt) and glow plugs which I’ve no clue about.

Thanks in advance

Getting the MAF checked and cleaned or replaced would be the cheapest next move.

Injector issues would cause excessive smoke and rough running along with power loss so it doesn't sound like they'd be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

rottie 11 wrote: »
    This problem still hasn’t been sorted 700euro later. I’m pissed off at this stage , he serviced it and put a can of JLM extreme clean into the diesel. That didn’t work so he told me it’s the turbo , bought a reconditioned one and paid him to fit it and yeah it didn’t make one bit of a difference .

Car is still the exact same down in power , cos me 700euro for all those bits and for nothing. Any other suggestions because I don’t know any trust worthy mechanics near me.

A few friends suggested it could be injectors (which I doubt) and glow plugs which I’ve no clue about.

Thanks in advance

It's not the clutch going is it?

Getting the MAF checked and cleaned or replaced would be the cheapest next move.

Injector issues would cause excessive smoke and rough running along with power loss so it doesn't sound like they'd be the problem.

Sorry but what’s the maf ? Nah didn’t think it was injectors anyway because it’s running smoothly

paulpd wrote: »
    It's not the clutch going is it?

No definitely not , I’d know if it was the clutch. Cheers

Maf= Mass air flow sensor.

Advertisement