Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hobosan wrote: »
    Players and coaches have been nothing but complimentary of the Japan team.

You're the one downplaying the Japanese victory by insinuating that Ireland weren't trying.

Completely transparent what you're at.

At least it gives the soccer forum a break from it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

leakyboots wrote: »
    Bit of a poor read from RK on that try. He played well apart from that I thought.

Bit of a curates egg of a performance... the likes of Earls, Kearney, Ringrose, Farrell, Murray, the three backrowers, Ryan.... all played pretty well. I don't think you'd criticise any of them too much. Yet we still lost, deservedly. Was POM taken off injured? Thought he was arguably our best player at the time.

This was lost in the coach's box for me. Our backplay is so stagnant. I see this with Munster regularly, when we can't outmuscle a team we don't have the backplay to go around them.

Japan matched us up front and then just went around us, their backplay is such a pleasure to watch.

I think the problem is that you need quick go forward ball to give you the platform to spin it wide. We seem to go to the back line when we’re struggling up front which is the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Let's looks at the positives...we can't lose a quarter final if we don't make a quarter final ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Interesting the panel on rte have no issues with the ref rather that Ireland kicked the ball away in the 2nd half

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Who’s that half now? You should be worried about Arsenal in the premier league - having grown up in Ireland presumably you must have a deep connection to the club that spends millions every week paying a squad assorted from around the world. No interest in supporting Leyton Orient no?
    Keep singing Irelands Call and cheering on your South Africans. You are a real Micheal Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

kona wrote: »
    Yea barring sexton. A world player of the year.

Whi got injured last week and was hooked after 50 minutes. Jesus wept the level of discussion here is rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

irishgeo wrote: »
    Did you not read the first part of the post you knobhead.

Clearly you can’t understand my post. “knobhead”? Really? Calling me your mother’s pet names? Grow up princess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We were poxy lucky to get the bonus point. Earl's tackle aside, Japan missed some very kickable penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

leakyboots wrote: »

Was POM taken off injured? Thought he was arguably our best player at the time.

POM was called ashore immediately after the ref warned Best that he'd be carded if he didn't stop cheating at the breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    What’s odds Eire not getting out of group? Samoa could easily beat us
    Can you stop saying eire bloody constantly? Why are you doing it?
    It is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Can we criticise the Rugby team now? Just like the Football team? Or are they still national heroes? For a sport where realistically only about 8-10 countries take it seriously it's a poor showing yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Here’s the excuses now. Let’s blame the ref for the absolute diabolical performance of Ireland.
    Ireland were crap. Accept it.

but if crap paired with proper officiating of the game, what do you think the score would have of been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shane732 wrote: »
    What’s the possibility for topping the group?
    Japan to lose to Scots and
    clsmooth wrote: »
    All the ‘embarrassing’ posts by the way are a disgrace. Japan were unbelievable out there and fully deserved their win. They didn’t let us play. We didn’t lose that, Japan won it and deservedly so. Even in the first half when we were 9 in front they were a few bounces away from tries. A great day for world rugby and the development of the game. Unfortunate that it came against us, but that’s sport. Hope they go on to beat Scotland and get a shot at one of the big boys. I think NZ or SA would definitely prefer to play Scotland which says it all.
    Its same all time. Disgrace is ott but what would you expect.
    Totally agree. Japan dictated majority of game and we didnt and couldnt react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'm sure the boys are bothered. They'll still come back and pull up on Harcourt Street to have their knobs polished by a few dollybirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can you link me to any post that makes that claim? No need to work too hard, just one will suffice.

They should head home early...

I'm sure you can connect the dots on that one.

but if crap paired with proper officiating of the game, what do you think would the score would have of been?
    Ireland might have scrapped home with a fair referee I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We’ll definitely get out of the group but Japan could top it. Your trollin which is fair enough I do it myself but samoa and russia haven’t a hope. It actually wasn’t a shockingly bad performance by us, Japan were just immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blanco100 wrote: »
    This is when Rugby teams are to be judged. not in Feb/March or in friendly games. Its a level playing field.

Beating the All blacks in a friendly game at the end of their season is nothing to be shouting about.

The reason Ireland never make a semi final is because we are not a top 4 side when all is equal.

If every team in World international rugby was firing at top of their game we would still not be top 4 side. Thats a fact.

And its really only a 6-8 team field.

I read the start as rugby teams should only be judged in the matches Ireland lose.

Seriously, you aren't waiting 4 years to rejudge teams. The six nations and quad nation teams tend to only meet in the internationals. They are full test matches. Neither side treats it like a friendly.

Yes we played badly today but the desperate attempt to ignore the achievements by this team is quite frankly ridiculous at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Our national team, yeah the one filled with foreign imports that is too ashamed to play our national anthem. Shame on people for not backing the team after humiliation in front of the world.

You don't seem to have any actual knowledge of what you keep posting about!

Interesting the panel on rte have no issues with the ref rather that Ireland kicked the ball away in the 2nd half

But they're rugbymen and women, not part-time rugby fans who know all the rules, but none of the laws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Japan to lose or draw at least once and Ireland to pick up two 5 pointers could leave both team on 16 points, Ireland would then need a bigger points difference.
    Scotland will have a problem with them and I reckon they'll take Samoa. We just need to pay attention to getting maximum points and see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ignoring all the blown-in clueless shït stirrers....

Serious work from Keith Earls after 80minutes in that heat to track that intercept pass the whole way back. Very impressive and earned Ireland a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So bonus point is really only important if Scotland beat Japan? Does it come down to score difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Blanco100 wrote: »
    This is when Rugby teams are to be judged. not in Feb/March or in friendly games. Its a level playing field.

Beating the All blacks in a friendly game at the end of their season is nothing to be shouting about.

The reason Ireland never make a semi final is because we are not a top 4 side when all is equal.

If every team in World international rugby was firing at top of their game we would still not be top 4 side. Thats a fact.

And its really only a 6-8 team field.

Ah mate you've only posted in the rugby forum 4 times.

You've described the NZ game last year as a friendly. You are saying we shouldn't judge teams on results in Feb and Mar (which basically means the 6Ns).

Like no harm, and I want more people to take an interest in rugby, but you really haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pretty good I’d say, they’re not in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Our national team, yeah the one filled with foreign imports that is too ashamed to play our national anthem. Shame on people for not backing the team after humiliation in front of the world.
    Yeah, 3 :rolleyes:

Hobosan wrote: »
    They should head home early...

I'm sure you can connect the dots on that one.

Given that over 100 of the worst rugby teams in the world aren't even at RWC 2019, that's an epic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

POM was a walking penalty machine...all game

Dragged off after Gardner warned Best he was going to give him a yellow.....

Not sure how anyone could say he was best player on pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Clearly you can’t understand my post. “knobhead� Really? Calling me your mother’s pet names? Grow up princess
    You need the grow up too and talk about rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yeah, 3 :rolleyes:

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners 🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Keep singing Irelands Call and cheering on your South Africans. You are a real Micheal Collins.

You're posting is quite pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Who’s that half now? You should be worried about Arsenal in the premier league - having grown up in Ireland presumably you must have a deep connection to the club that spends millions every week paying a squad assorted from around the world. No interest in supporting Leyton Orient no?

Haha. Typical response. Rugby is far more eltist and selective than soccer will ever be.

Here and now though, Ireland were beaten a a better team today and serious questions need to be asked. That doesnt fit with the narrative of bandwagon fans who want to believe and want the world to believe we are "Rugby Country".

Scmhits tactics were wrong.Why?. Are the players fit? Why was Sexton brought? Why wasnt Toner there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    POM was a walking penalty machine...all game

Dragged off after Gardner warned Best he was going to give him a yellow.....

Not sure how anyone could say he was best player on pitch

He useless unless you need someone good at gurning like an untamed ape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

All part of the plan to face the kiwis and not the saffas in the Q/F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

risteard7 wrote: »
    Can we criticise the Rugby team now? Just like the Football team? Or are they still national heroes? For a sport where realistically only about 8-10 countries take it seriously it's a poor showing yet again

We have beaten countries who have a much larger number of adult players than us or for whom rugby is the main sport (It's No. 4 here.)

How's the League of Ireland doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

risteard7 wrote: »

We are the only big rugby nation never to have got past the quarter finals of the RWC. Definitely way overrated by fans and media. The Irish rugby team would sicken you the way they always bottle it when it matters at the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You don't seem to have any actual knowledge of what you keep posting about!

That’s not unique to this thread for that particular poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whi got injured last week and was hooked after 50 minutes. Jesus wept the level of discussion here is rubbish

You must be a top rugby boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure thats the shock it appears to be looking back on the last year or so. The confidence in the media and with fans after Scotland was nauseating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

VDF is as Irish as you or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ireland played an unusual first 20 minutes which worked out well for them. Those little chips, offloads and playing up the tramlines rather than the standard centre field threw Japan initially.

After that, Japans better discipline, home advantage and the heat were all used to grind Ireland down in what can only be called an extremely exciting game of rugby.

In hindsight there are a few things that couldve been done differently. I felt Best was maybe tired after 80 mjns against Scotland, and no disrespect to Chris Farrell but hes no Bundi Aki and this was shown several times when James Ryan or Jacob Stockdale made some pace but were unsupported.

Cant say anything bad about the Irish pack overall, just that they were beaten by the more focussed Japanese pack. The old adage that the forwards determine who wins and the backs by how much is probably true for today. Japans tackling and rucking was excellent and Ireland made too many mistakes.

Good but dissappointing match. World cup is far frkm over for Ireland. Some commentators said it would be better for Ireland to face NZ rather than SA, and maybe they will get their wish! Lets hope Japan beat Scotland and there are no further upsets in Pool A
    Best’s throwing was poor today but Murray constantly kicking possession away to a running team cost us. Keep giving possession away and will suffer.

fullstop wrote: »
    Pretty good I’d say, they’re not in the group.
    Samoa are in our group...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

How many in the squad? Im certain Kleyn isnt from Ballyfermot or Mayfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Isn’t it head to head rather than points difference?
    You're right, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners ��

Van Der Flier is from Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Stander did exactly that for most of the match - he just stood there

At least be accurate in your criticism - Stander made the most metres of the pack today. Trucked up all day and did his job in defence. Passed the ball a good bit too, which has been a criticism of him before.

VdF didn't pass at all, something he seems to do regularly enough, which always baffles me for a seven. I know he's a tackle machine and the 'traditional' seven isn't what he is. I thought he did well today btw, don't think the fault in that performance lays with the backrow at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Car99 wrote: »
    How many people posting in the Rugby forum today that never posted here before?

Was thinking the same when people questioned Carbery at the end.

Hopefully they stayed watching to see that the panel agreed with his decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So many anti Irish rugby on here, masquerading as fans. Delight in our loss..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners ��

VDF who was born in Wicklow? That “foreigner”?

Advertisement