Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Interesting the panel on rte have no issues with the ref rather that Ireland kicked the ball away in the 2nd half

The ref didn't make Ireland play like that.

They lost on their own against a much weaker team who played their hearts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

laugh wrote: »
    We have beaten countries who have a much larger number of adult players than us or for whom rugby is the main sport (It's No. 4 here.)

How's the League of Ireland doing?

Its going grand. And not backboned by a dozen private schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners 🀣

When was Wicklow moved outside ireland

VDF grand parents moved here in 50’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Clearly you can’t understand my post. “knobhead”? Really? Calling me your mother’s pet names? Grow up princess

piss off, sure it was a poor performance but we dont all kick our team when its down, some of support the team after a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We are the only big rugby nation never to have got past the quarter finals of the RWC. Definitely way overrated by fans and media. The Irish rugby team would sicken you the way they always bottle it when it matters at the RWC.

We’ll still make it out of the group so we haven’t bottled it just yet, still plenty of time though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners 🀣

You mean the Josh Van der Flier who was born in Wicklow, who's parents are Irish and hasn't lived outside of Ireland at any stage of his life? :confused:

Slow down, lads. Thread is growing faster than I can read it while attempting to watch my kid play soccer at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Stander did exactly that for most of the match - he just stood there
    He was very quiet alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

MadYaker wrote: »
    No mention of the refereeing from anyone on RTÉ

or ITV or Eir sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

adox wrote: »
    What surprised me most was how poor we were at the breakdown and set pieces.

We were getting outmuscled a lot of the time at the breakdown which shouldn’t be happening against this opposition.

Called this at half time. Some posters were saying we were under instruction not to compete. Bizarre. POM was the only one getting any way close to disrupting or turning over their ball. Stander/Best/Healy/VdF were very poor in this aspect of their play, they're well capable of turnovers

• Advertisement

You mean the Josh Van der Flier who was born in Wicklow, who's parents are Irish and hasn't lived outside of Ireland at any stage of his life? :confused:

Ahh but he doesn’t sound Irish

We should have a team full of Murphy’s that sound like it’s an Irish name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Keep singing Irelands Call and cheering on your South Africans. You are a real Micheal Collins.

Sound chief, will do. You keep rambling about emery and multi millionaire soccer players living in a city you have probably visited twice in your life max. No interest in supporting your local team no or is there not enough glory in following Bohemians or Drogheda etc for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Basil3 wrote: »
    Slow down, lads. Thread is growing faster than I can read it while attempting to watch my kid play soccer at the same time.
    You should stick with the kid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The most sickening thing about today’s result is not losing to Japan, it’s swapping a QF with South Africa for a QF with New Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah but he sounds foreign.....lol

The next two games are extremely winnable and we should really be ok to get bonus points

Any semblance of rugby has left this topic about 30 pages back. The mods should bury this topic for a few hours so some people can salvage some of their dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

blackwhite wrote: »
    VDF who was born in Wicklow? That “foreigner”?

Dem foreign surnames.
    And what about Rob Kearney's brown skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

walshb wrote: »
    So many anti Irish rugby on here, masquerading as fans. Delight in our loss..
    "Our loss" A team full of Foreign imports, a foreign management and too ashamed to play their own national anthem This team doesn't represent me or Ireland. It is a disgrace.

Aki, van de flier and stander. Yep that’s a team full of foreigners ��

Your showing your true colours now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

How many in the squad? Im certain Kleyn isnt from Ballyfermot or Mayfield.
    There's 3 in the whole squad.
    - Aki
    - Stander
    - Kleyn

• Advertisement

I think what we can finally put to bed is the love in for Carty....

He had a good 20 mins and then it was shocking the rest of game....

We need sexton and Carbery back and fit as numbe 1 & 2 ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So which game was the blip...Scotland or England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Soups123 wrote: »
    The most sickening thing about today’s result is not losing to Japan, it’s swapping a QF with South Africa for a QF with New Zealand

And it impacts selections / resting of players for next two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

leakyboots wrote: »
    Called this at half time. Some posters were saying we were under instruction not to compete. Bizarre. POM was the only one getting any way close to disrupting or turning over their ball. Stander/Best/Healy/VdF were very poor in this aspect of their play, they're well capable of turnovers

Possibly trying to stem the penalty count and allow them to make errors? There was a lot of spilled ball out there but in the second half it all went Japan’s way (ie backwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Japan missed 13 tackles. Fairly damning stat for Ireland that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SA will be delighted. Either of the other two will not trouble them in the way we "imagined" we might.

We haven’t.....

We can still top the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

KaneToad wrote: »
    Dem foreign surnames.

AH here, Kearney has freckles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Basil3 wrote: »

You have to feel for the mods at times like these. Must be like Oprah giving out cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"Our loss" A team full of Foreign imports, a foreign management and too ashamed to play their own national anthem This team doesn't represent me or Ireland. It is a disgrace.

Don't feed the trolls folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Not as much pleasure in Ireland's loss as pleasure in Japan's great win.

Plus a bit of pleasure on Devin Toner's behalf, as Schmuck should NEVER have selected a journeyman SH mercenary in his place.

And a bit of pleasure that the Irish rugby hype machine has been holed below the waterline.

Hopefully the idiot Shane Ross won't be tweeting too much rugby-related sh1te this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

laugh wrote: »
    We have beaten countries who have a much larger number of adult players than us or for whom rugby is the main sport (It's No. 4 here.)

How's the League of Ireland doing?
    What has the League of Ireland got to do with it? Everytime the football team put in a poor result it's laughed & joked at. In the Group for the Euros we have Denmark, Switzerland, Gibraltar & Georgia.

None of them even play Rugby bar Georgia, My point is the rugby team have it far easier. Anyway it's a rugby thread.

Why bother watching or posting about it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah it’s a shame to see it. So many bitter people out there who hate success of any sort. The Irish media have definitely not helped though, there has been some real over confidence there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

bilston wrote:
    You've described the NZ game last year as a friendly. You are saying we shouldn't judge teams on results in Feb and Mar (which basically means the 6Ns).
    While no rugby international is called a friendly you'd have to admit that it was not a really important game for New Zealand. They were on their break from Super Rugby with a WC on the horizon.
    Only five of the fifteen that started against South Africa in this World Cup started in that game against Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The Nal wrote: »
    Japan missed 13 tackles. Fairly damning stat for Ireland that.

What was the penalty count? Felt like we gave away close to 15 whilst they were in single digits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

There's 3 in the whole squad.
    - Aki
    - Stander
    - Kleyn

+ Carberry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shefwedfan wrote: »

We haven’t.....

We can still top the group

Probably still favourites to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know it’s tiredness but I think Ryan took the ball on too much in the second half, standing still, jogging pace and stalling with ball in hand on pick and gos.

Asa a country that love being an underdog and punching above their weight, this will have to be taken on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

irishgeo wrote: »
    piss off, sure it was a poor performance but we dont all kick our team when its down, some of support the team after a loss.

Mate get your tissues. You’re crying all over me screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

KaneToad wrote: »
    Dem foreign surnames.

doesn't he have a sponsorship with Cocoa Brown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    POM was a walking penalty machine...all game

Dragged off after Gardner warned Best he was going to give him a yellow.....

Not sure how anyone could say he was best player on pitch

He was pinged a couple of times for off his feet...yet he was supporting his weight and legal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I am cringing reading your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lads show a little class. We were outplayed and the better side won. Yes some questionable decisions but that performance is a disgrace.

2 things can be true.

The better side most definitely won. Well done to them. Japan were stunning.

But the referee was bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A team full....is 3....you keep spouting the same rubbish it doesn't make it true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    + Carberry

Carbery has an Irish parent. Like he is actually Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Assuming we get ten points from last two games we are guaranteed to go through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great post, as ever.

Making a show of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gmisk wrote: »
    Yeah but he sounds foreign.....lol

The next two games are extremely winnable and we should really be ok to get bonus points

If Ireland can't win the next two games, they may as well pack in the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This thread post game is great for finding out what numpties Ill be sticking on ignore.

Anyways, I'll let this xenophobia-fest bleed out, troll central now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement