Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We haven’t.....

We can still top the group

2 BP wins and a Scotland win against Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

"Our loss" A team full of Foreign imports, a foreign management and too ashamed to play their own national anthem This team doesn't represent me or Ireland. It is a disgrace.
    Yes, because less than 10% is full
    Do you want my nephew to do some maths for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

visatorro wrote: »
    Assuming we get ten points from last two games we are guaranteed to go through?

Yes. But if Japan win two games they top the pool and they don't need TBP wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There certainly are a lot of posters on this thread who are delighted that Ireland lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

"Our loss" A team full of Foreign imports, a foreign management and too ashamed to play their own national anthem This team doesn't represent me or Ireland. It is a disgrace.

National anthem? You do realise it's not the rep of Ireland rugby team? Your poor attempts at trolling aren't even amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

You need help in so many ways.

2 foreign players on the panel. How many on the soccer team.

Small men gloat when a better man fails valiantly. You're a very small little man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    + Carberry

Both of his parents were from Athy in Kildare, he moved back here from NZ when he was 11.

He's 3/4 Irish 1/4 Kiwi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

clsmooth wrote: »
    Possibly trying to stem the penalty count and allow them to make errors? There was a lot of spilled ball out there but in the second half it all went Japan’s way (ie backwards)

Did we give away many penalties on the deck though? I don't remember too many I'll be honest but might need to watch it back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We haven’t.....

It’s a possibility yeah but very unlikely now. South Africa was our best chance of a QF win.

It’s hard to see Scotland turning Japan over especially with them being hosts and having home advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Akrasia wrote: »
    There certainly are a lot of posters on this thread who are delighted that Ireland lost.

Silent majority is what they’re calling themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Soups123 wrote: »
    The most sickening thing about today’s result is not losing to Japan, it’s swapping a QF with South Africa for a QF with New Zealand

In reality, we weren't going to beat either of them regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    He was pinged a couple of times for off his feet...yet he was supporting his weight and legal

Not according to Liam Toland on the eir commentary - but I assume you were watching it in the bar in Temple Hill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The most sickening thing about today’s result is not losing to Japan, it’s swapping a QF with South Africa for a QF with New Zealand

Wouldnt have made a differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

visatorro wrote: »
    Assuming we get ten points from last two games we are guaranteed to go through?

Yep to possibly get torn to bits by new zealand

He was pinged a couple of times for off his feet...yet he was supporting his weight and legal

He really wasn't

• Advertisement

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    + Carberry
    Yes, the player whos parents are both Irish and has lived here since he was 11.

Might as well call ROG a foreign import on that thinking :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

razorblunt wrote: »
    Silent majority is what they’re calling themselves.

I’m gutted Ireland lost but Japan thoroughly deserved their win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

adox wrote: »
    What surprised me most was how poor we were at the breakdown and set pieces.

We were getting outmuscled a lot of the time at the breakdown which shouldn’t be happening against this opposition.
    Our lineout wasnt great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Samoa could be very difficult if we aren't at full tilt.
    Japan excellent. I think Scotland will beat them.
    Plenty of rugby to at in this group.

gmisk wrote: »
    Yep to possibly get torn to bits by new zealand

No. We have a pedigree for beating them. In friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What was the penalty count? Felt like we gave away close to 15 whilst they were in single digits?

Going by the RWC app...

Ireland conceded 6.
    Japan conceded 9.

Surprised by that.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Our lineout wasnt great either.

Is that you Devin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So is anyone else getting warnings over nothing? Boards is really gone soft huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

leakyboots wrote: »
    Did we give away many penalties on the deck though? I don't remember too many I'll be honest but might need to watch it back
    The ruck was mentioned as a key focus point for refs. Blind to offside but 100% on rucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We haven’t.....

It’s a possibility yeah but very unlikely now. South Africa was our best chance of a QF win.

It’s hard to see Scotland turning Japan over especially with them being hosts and having home advantage

Scotland love broken play and they could be very well matched against the Japanese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Basil3 wrote: »
    He really wasn't

You could clearly see his elbows on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Well said Keith Earls no moaning there

Yes, the player whos parents are both Irish and has lived here since he was 11.

Might as well call ROG a foreign import on that thinking :rolleyes:

And Heaslip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You are an idiot. (I'll take the card mod)

Japan are largely a team of hired guns from Tonga, New Zealand and South Africa.

Naggdefy wrote: »

Small men gloat when a better man fails valiantly. You're a very small little man.

At least the soccer team have to have a dlood relative, at least at grand parentage level.

In Rugby have a guinnes and you qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

leakyboots wrote: »

Can remember POM and Murray getting pinged whilst competing. VDF getting trapped and pinged too on the deck. There was a few offsides too. Murray and Stander. And the accidental one where Farrell hit into Stander. One scrum penalty too. Felt like we got on Gardner’s wrong side.

Nah, there are some very over-sized mallets being used in discussion here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Comes in trolling, cries like a snowflake when he is called on it. How embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I think what we can finally put to bed is the love in for Carty....

He had a good 20 mins and then it was shocking the rest of game....

We need sexton and Carbery back and fit as numbe 1 & 2 ASAP

Will you be quiet. The only good things in the game came from him and ringrose. Blaming Carty for today is nonsense. Line out malfunctioned, pack was well beaten. 29% possession in second half, what mistakes did Carty make other than restart at end of first half, if you’re gonna be critical be specific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Going by the RWC app...

Ireland conceded 6.
    Japan conceded 9.

Surprised by that.

Not sure about that. Can think of 7 off the top of my head without taking into account advantages etc

Well said Keith Earls no moaning there
    Yeah, he stayed away from any slips of the tongue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Akrasia wrote: »

Don't think so. Who really wants their own country to lose?? I think the problem is that some people get sick of the media and fans who know little about rugby overrating them and building them up for a hard fall. No different to the way the English hype their soccer team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Can remember POM and Murray getting pinged whilst competing. VDF getting trapped and pinged too on the deck. There was a few offsides too. Murray and Stander. And the accidental one where Farrell hit into Stander. One scrum penalty too. Felt like we got on Gardner’s wrong side.

Rucks were a mess, looked like every breakdown had a clear out parallel to the the advantage line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Ireland are not as bad as the hype suggests after todays defeat and not as good as the hype suggested after the Scotland win. In any event it doesn't matter, a very tough quarter final prospect regardless and today doesn't change that.

• Advertisement

Going by the RWC app...

Ireland conceded 6.
    Japan conceded 9.

Surprised by that.
    ESPN Scrum saying that's the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Not sure about that. Can think of 7 off the top of my head without taking into account advantages etc

Yup.....agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Still have a good chance at topping the group. We would have had Scotland down for beating Japan before today. OK things have changed but not inconceivable. Would love to see a scenario where both us and Japan get through though.

And if we play NZ then we play NZ. You're there to win the tournament, to be the best, to beat everybody. Champions don't avoid people. And we don't have that 100 year hoodoo. It may put the ****s up NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

laugh wrote: »
    We have beaten countries who have a much larger number of adult players than us or for whom rugby is the main sport (It's No. 4 here.)

How's the League of Ireland doing?

Not sure its behind Hurling. Rugby's far more popular in Ulster than Hurling is.

Stockdale has yet to show any form in this tournament. POM has been poor in both games. Other than that the other Irish players aren't playing outrageously below par. I think other teams are figuring out the best way to stifle our game plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

At least the soccer team have to have a dlood relative, at least at grand parentage level.

In Rugby have a guinnes and you qualify.

So if you've 6 players 7/8ths English that makes you more Irish than a rugby team playing 2 non nationals out of 31?

I support all Irish teams but an awful lot have a serious chip on their shoulder re. the rugby team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Naggdefy wrote: »

Devin Toner will be laughing tonight. Joe Schmuck and his foreign XI disgraced themselves. If I he wasnt so arrogant he would resign.

Anyway Japan is closer to home for Schmuck and co. They should head back to their real countries

mod- banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Probably still favourites to

How do you figure we're favourites to top the pool? That means Scotland need to beat Japan which looks unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He wasn’t....it was plain to see one ach occasion

On the first penalty without the camera even zooming in you could see him with his elbows and arms on the ground....

He done the same a few times....

He was the only back row who got a good rest and should have been our best back row and was worst.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carra87

Why is Kleyn in the squad?? Don’t care about the ‘foreigners’ trolls but if you’re not going to play him why bring him? Would Toner have made a difference with 15/20 minutes to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Don't think so. Who really wants their own country to lose?? I think the problem is that some people get sick of the media and fans who know little about rugby overrating them and building them up for a hard fall. No different to the way the English hype their soccer team.

So you want Ireland to win, but are happy when they lose because it upsets media and bandwagon fans.

Again, a baffling mentality but it takes all sorts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement