Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

The heat and humidity were Japan's secret weapon today. Well deserved win, matched our scrum and lineout maul and without those we looked a bit toothless.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Haha. Typical response. Rugby is far more eltist and selective than soccer will ever be.

Have you been turned away from joining a local club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I had to laugh at the reaction on Radio One after the game. There was a clear refusal to ask any hard questions about the Ireland performance or Joe Schmidt. The usual stuff after an Ireland loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Another inglorious quarter final exit beckons then?

Exactly. It will be the same old, same old. People who think we will beat New Zealand or South Africa when it actually matters are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

Exactly. It will be the same old, same old. People who think we will beat New Zealand or South Africa when it actually matters are deluded.

It wont happen full stop. Looks like another disappointing exit at the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Couldn't agree more. The world Cup is as good as over for this Irish team, to be honest it was over 6 months ago after abject performances in the 6 nations. You simply cannot hope past form will carry you across the line, you have to provide the solid basis whereby victory is more likely than mot and the only way to do that is performing the basics well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    The ref really wasn't as bad as people are making out.

He gave ample warnings which we all heard and POM was taken off before being carded which was fair. The ref didn’t make us give away an array of penalties.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have you been turned away from joining a local club?

In this, having played soccer and gaa for years, I'd class soccer as among the worst for spitting out kids etc who just are not deemed I enough without giving them a chance. Player welfare in soccer is probably far worse than the other major team sports too. But that's another matter entirely.

Anyway, if Italy beat south africa, and Japan win this group, that's a Japan Italy QF. Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Seadin wrote: »
    It wont happen full stop. Looks like another disappointing exit at the quarters.

Sport is full of ups and downs. Shocks and glorious wins.
    Today we were beaten and we sometimes will be. our ranking comes from consistently winning not always.
    We have every chance in beating SA or NZ in a one on one. It may not happen, but it is completely wrong to say it won’t full stop.

Our chances have certainly been hampered by today’s defeat but we are not out yet. Let’s keep our heads and hope for a bit more taking of our opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

STB. wrote: »
    In other news Jordi Murphy is on a flight to replace Conan whose WC is over.

Toner should have been sent for too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Disappointed, everything went against us on the day, including the conditions, but we’ll adapt to them better going forward, including a fired up Japan side playing out of their skins.

All is left to do now is target the last two games and try and get 10 points from that. Do that and I reckon we top the pool - I think Scotland will beat Japan and our run up is much better.

Not all doom n gloom.

Thought Ringrose was amazing today, best player in green by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Toner should have been sent for too.

They can’t just send for people

flatface wrote: »
    We have every chance in beating SA or NZ in a one on one. It may not happen, but it is completely wrong to say it won’t full stop.

Our chances have certainly been hampered by today’s defeat but we are not out yet. Let’s keep our heads and hope for a bit more taking of our opportunities.

No disrespect but i think you would be duluded to think Ireland will beat SA or NZ in world cup QF.. Wont happen. We all know it.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I had to laugh at the reaction on Radio One after the game. There was a clear refusal to ask any hard questions about the Ireland performance or Joe Schmidt. The usual stuff after an Ireland loss.

What was the reaction? What hard questions would you have asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It was my first time seeing Japan & Ireland in a competitive rugby match today. I felt deflated after seeing the result. But I did understand that it was a really tough game to watch this morning if you're an Irish fan. The two tries from Ringrose & Kearney really gave me a lift in confidence in the early stages of the match. Another positive from it was seeing Keith Earls getting the losing BP just before Japan had tried to score their final try just in front of the posts. That moment in itself was brilliantly timed from Earls POV. He deserves all the credit for executing that move against them. But Japan were really ferocious in their gameplay for the rest of the match. Japan, being the fitter team, did their job really well to have that big win today. Well done to them all. They deserve to celebrate their big victory against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    They can’t just send for people

Do a Tonya Harding on Kleyn, be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m gutted today, but people need to stfu with the slating and slagging and arrogance....

It wasn’t our day. Sometimes these things happen in sport...underdogs win..

There are still 2 group games to go. Clock reset..

If we get out of group we aren’t favorites v NZ or SA, so we are the exact same as we were at start of campaign..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When you are meant to be the best team in the world, conditions shouldn't matter.
    No point saying Japan were up for it and passionate, why weren't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

No disrespect but i think you would be duluded to think Ireland will beat SA or NZ in world cup QF.. Wont happen. We all know it.

No disrespect taken. We wouldn’t be favorites but it’s an overreaction to think we couldn’t win a QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Go and put your money where your mouth is so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

walshb wrote: »
    I’m gutted today, but people need to stfu with the slating and slagging and arrogance....

If we get out of group we aren’t favorites v NZ or SA, so we are the exact same as we were at start of campaign..

Why cant people call a spade a spade? We were arrogant and quite obviously did not prepare correctly, Japan did prepare correctly and roundly beat us, some may say the ref was unfair but even if every decision had gone our way they were still the better team.

I cannot understand some peoples reactions to just dismiss all criticism

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a big shock.

We beat the toughest opponent in the softest group, only to lose to Japan.

Team Ireland will not be a happy place right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Just remembered my first ever international at Lansdowne Road.

I think I paid 2 Pound for a schoolboy ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30-sApIhhQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

walshb wrote: »

Pretty much, yes. I would describe today as more of a minor enough setback than a devastating blow to our chances. No two games are alike and when it comes to the knockout stages, previous form can go out the window.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why cant people call a spade a spade? We were arrogant and quite obviously did not prepare correctly, Japan did prepare correctly and roundly beat us, some may say the ref was unfair but even if every decision had gone our way they were still the better team.

They improved and we went backwards on the Scotland performance. But that's what happens in tournaments : we were probably very naive in thinking after Scotland that we would run up a bonus point win in every group game. It just doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NIMAN wrote: »
    When you are meant to be the best team in the world, conditions shouldn't matter.

Conditions do matter - did you ever play in high humidity and heat , much different to an Irish autumn.

My biggest concern is the loss of form again of Murray , hopefully McGrath can step up against Russia - Sexton at 10 will make this a much better team , and Henshaw or Aki at 12 - glad Jordi is coming over, as we really need a backup to vandeFlier - thought Beirne did well when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

no team has ever won a world cup having lost a group stage match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It was very disappointing. Conditions were really tough. We just could not control the game. Japan deserved to win. Thought they were offside on a number of occasions especially toward the end of the game.

Really tough conditions. James Ryan could hardly move towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Japan v Scotland should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

VinLieger wrote: »

No issue with genuine fair and structured criticism..

My point was with people and their hostile slagging and slating. The ones who take joy in the loss, so they can peddle this slagging of the lads..

Calling them a disgrace and an embarrassment is not justified analysis and criticism..

The lads didn’t deliberately fail today. They simply got beaten..

Go and put your money where your mouth is so

I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strazdas wrote: »
    They improved and we went backwards on the Scotland performance. But that's what happens in tournaments : we were probably very naive in thinking after Scotland that we would run up a bonus point win in every group game. It just doesn't work that way.

Seeing the team Joe fielded I don't think 'we' refers to the Irish management but to some online.

The game was always going to be a proper test and it was. Regroup and keep the eye on the prize...a QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd be fairly sanguine about most things but kicking the ball off the park for a losing bonus point doesn't sit right with me at all.

Winners don't do that.

I remember NZ in the Aviva. 4 minutes past the 80 they kept that ball alive before Crotty scored.

Yeah they were shagged but at least die trying.

Ireland are weak mentally, they need to feel like underdogs to give their best performance. Champions aren't phased by expectation.

FFS, Japan beat SA in the last World Cup, SA still finished top of the group in a World Cup where England (at home) didn't get out of their group.

The naysaying depressants need to take a chill pill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Do posters think we’d have won that match with Sexton playing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Danzy wrote: »
    The ref didn't make Ireland play like that.

They lost on their own against a much weaker team who played their hearts out.

ive already asked this...

if the officiating was fair and just, do you think ireland would have won?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sanguine about most things but kicking the ball off the park for a losing bonus point doesn't sit right with me at all.

Winners don't do that.

I remember NZ in the Aviva. 4 minutes past the 80 they kept that ball alive before Crotty scored.

Had he played it and we coughed up the ball or a penalty, we'd be in a very bad place instead of a marginally bad place.

Smart percentage play to my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    When was Wicklow moved outside ireland

VDF grand parents moved here in 50’s
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ahh but he doesn’t sound Irish

We should have a team full of Murphy’s that sound like it’s an Irish name

i hope the circle jerk is finished. yer man made a mistake, stop labouring the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The arrogance of the Irish media needs to be called out. Suggesting Japan might play a second string side to put all their eggs in one basket and focus on the Scotland match. Assuming they had no chance of beating Ireland so why bother trying.

Had he played it and we coughed up the ball or a penalty, we'd be in a very bad place instead of a marginally bad place.

Smart percentage play to my mind.

Of course it was the pragmatic play. Didn't say it wasn't.

But I was left rather cold by it if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Winners don't do that.

There was not a lot to be gained from a possible 100m break, let alone even getting there. It's a pool match and on balance the only call. If Scots win against Japan we'll be back to where we expected to be. As has been posted a lot of bigger teams have had blips in the RWC but progressed.

Seeing the team Joe fielded I don't think 'we' refers to the Irish management but to some online.

The game was always going to be a proper test and it was. Regroup and keep the eye on the prize...a QF.

I wouldn't be overly hung up on the result anyway. Even if we'd won by one point, our WC chances would probably be similar to where we are now. The group stages can be a bit of a scrap and misleading. Nobody really knows who will hit form in the quarter finals.

This isn't a once off though, this has been a consistent theme for Ireland over the past 13 years or so.

Losing? I would say we have won more than we lost over 13 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I will.

I expect proof.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly hung up on the result anyway. Even if we'd won by one point, our WC chances would probably be similar to where we are now. The group stages can be a bit of a scrap and misleading. Nobody really knows who will hit form in the quarter finals.

Exactly. T hear the naysayers, you would think we had been knocked out today.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was not a lot to be gained from a possible 100m break, let alone even getting there. It's a pool match and on balance the only call. If Scots win against Japan we'll be back to where we expected to be. As has been posted a lot of bigger teams have had blips in the RWC but progressed.

Again the pragmatic on paper analysis is spot on...

However they'll be both physically and mentally weakened by that result. It won't be just washed away as a 'pool match'..

Again the pragmatic on paper analysis is spot on...

However they'll be both physically and mentally weakened by that result. It won't be just washed away as a 'pool match'..

If we get back on target it will be a good arse kicker for the management to use. Do the job or pay the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Winners don't do that.

big difference, that was a one off test match...no points at risk

we had no chance of scoring from that area of the pitch, he did the right thing (imo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement