Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Is there a rule that you can't?

A win would be a huge huge bonus for us. I wouldn't even begin to start thinking of that yet.

No rule 😊 but our form since last yr has been ok at best . Unfortunately no plan b again today

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"Good. There’s a panel of psychologists studying yours."

Again?

https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-BmmfETghGOPrW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kearndog :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ah lads today is bad enough without bringing up talk of Zebo yet again.

Has to be done.

He's playing well for his club. And he's Irish as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Japan v Scotland should be a cracker.

I think Japan will hockey them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not gonna win the world cup, and make no mistake that's the aim, by taking the easy route and settling for defeat.

Impossible to remove that losers mentality once it's ingrained in the mind.

Eh?...Earnest Dearest, there was no winning that game at that point. It was last play, we had the option of a risky full length of the pitch and at best score in the corner and risky conversion to get a point we already had in the bag by simply kicking the ball dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "Good. There’s a panel of psychologists studying yours."

Again?

https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-BmmfETghGOPrW

🤮

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The future 10 of Ireland has just made his senior debut

Silver lining at the end of this day

^ Harry Byrne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think Japan will hockey them tbh
    You could well be right. Japan have an eight day turnaround from their match against Samoa whereas Scotland have only four days from their match against Russia - in the same stadium we played today. They'll be playing Japan in Yokohama which is pretty much the same kind of sweat box.

^ Harry Byrne?

Yes.....

H Byrne at 10 and Carbery at 15 is the future....

Just got his first 3 points

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You could well be right. Japan have an eight day turnaround from their match against Samoa whereas Scotland have only four days from their match against Russia - in the same stadium we played today. They'll be playing Japan in Yokohama which is pretty much the same kind of sweat box.

Don't forget Scotland are a wounded beast with a lot of pride to salvage too. Makes for a tantalising game. As ours against Samoa now is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This is turning out to be actually a great result! What a master plan from schmidt!

Ye. And he's also negated the risk posed by having Felix Jones on the South African coaching team. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes.....

H Byrne at 10 and Carbery at 15 is the future....

Just got his first 3 points

Jesus.... Carbery will never be an option at 15 for Ireland bar in game injuries. He went to Munster to play ten. Munster need him there not at 15. Can’t just throw him in at 15 for Ireland when he never plays there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I don't mind playing NZ in the quarters.

Shur we've bate them twice out of the last three.

Never in a competitive match though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Don't forget Scotland are a wounded beast with a lot of pride to salvage too. Makes for a tantalising game. As ours against Samoa now is.
    Oh, I know. Just pointing out that the odds are stacked against them. They'll have to split their squad and take risks against Russia though. On the plus side, they'll have more time to acclimatise than we had.

Carbery at 15 was Leinster's long-time plan, is what I'd heard.

HB at 10.

Feel sorry for Joey now he's at munster. Is it working out him there? I don't think so. I think he'll be back in next couple years.

Never in a competitive match though.

We've only played them once at a world cup, I think. 1995. All the other games were tour games.

HB at 10.

Feel sorry for Joey now he's at munster. Is it working out him there? I don't think so. I think he'll be back in next couple years.

Signed a new deal last year till ‘22. I don’t care either way but be a bit surprised if he ever played for Leinster again.

^ I was shocked to see him wearing a Leinster hoodie at the RDS last season at a Leinster game. It gives me hope.

• Advertisement

^ I was shocked to see him wearing a Leinster hoodie at the RDS last season at a Leinster game. It gives me hope.

That’s either a wind up or it wasn’t him you saw. I highly doubt in this age of everyone photographing everything he would be dumb enough to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

HB at 10.

He was starting consistently at 10 and playing well before he got injured so I'd say he's happy enough. 7 starts at 10 in the Champions Cup vs 2 in his entire time at Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know what odds Japan were before the game? Also what was the temperature & humidity in the stadium?

Can't remember match odds but I backed Ireland - 22 at even money. Japan were probably 5/1
    In 2015 I backed South Africa - 50 or something to beat Japan that was waaaaay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Can't remember match odds but I backed Ireland - 22 at even money. Japan were probably 5/1
    In 2015 I backed South Africa - 50 or something to beat Japan that was waaaaay out.

8/1

We've only played them once at a world cup, I think. 1995. All the other games were tour games.

Yes in the last WC before the sport turned professional. The All Blacks beat them 43-19 on that occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yes in the last WC before the sport turned professional. The All Blacks beat them 43-19 on that occasion.

Gary halpin scored try to put us in front. Then Jonah Lomu RIP announced himself on the world stage and tore us apart

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Jesus.... Carbery will never be an option at 15 for Ireland bar in game injuries. He went to Munster to play ten. Munster need him there not at 15. Can’t just throw him in at 15 for Ireland when he never plays there

I would question your posts after all the Carty recommendations we have been listening to.....

Yeah but wounded and inept is still inept.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah but wounded and inept is still inept.

Everyone thinks Scotland are great based on a second half against an England team who didn’t care

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Ireland were right to kick it out
    Our heads were gone and Japan did not want the game to end.
    Better chance of them getting a kickable penalty then us a try and conversion

• Advertisement

I would question your posts after all the Carty recommendations we have been listening to.....

You just talk nonsense on here seriously and have no idea what you’re talking about eg james hart being a huge loss to Ireland ffs.

Carbery at 15? He hasn’t played there for eighteen months and he won’t play there for the next three years with Munster bar in game injuries. But yes he’s the future for Ireland in that position. Have no idea how someone who posts so much here genuinely thinks that’s a realistic idea.

As for Carty, he was far from Irelands main issue today. When the forwards gave some sort of platform he was instrumental in guiding Ireland to 12-3 lead. Then the forwards got outplayed, 29% possession in second half and likely similar tally in last twenty of first half. The little ball Ireland got was incredibly slow, hard for a ten to do much in those conditions which is likely why there wasn’t any improvement when Carbery came on.

Everyone thinks Scotland are great based on a second half against an England team who didn’t care

This is an example of the nonsense referenced in my last post. What are you on about? Who is everyone? No one thinks Scotland are great ffs.

Thought Joe made a fair point on the BBC there - the strength or not of this Irish team will be seen in how they recover from today.

That's the bottom line really...qualify and this blip will be forgotten. We are facing a top team whether we finish first or second. Was always the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Thought Joe made a fair point on the BBC there - the strength or not of this Irish team will be seen in how they recover from today.

That's the bottom line really...qualify and this blip will be forgotten. We are facing a top team whether we finish first or second. Was always the case.

South Africa in last World Cup went to reach semis after losing to japan and japan did not get out of the group.
    Could happen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ireland is the number 1 world rugby team

I dont know how though. They play the same 5 teams year in year out in some mickey mouse competition. As soon as they come up against a team with a different style (Argentina, Japan) in a proper tournament, they get found out. There is something wrong with world rugby rankings if we are number 1 playing 5 other teams.
    Ireland....isnt in the least afraid of NZ.

Why were our players crying with joy when they beat NZ in that meaningless friendly? Why does the number 1 team not treat a win like that like any other victory? It should be like any other day in te office. Surely Ireland should beat them at least 50% of the time when they play?

The truth is, our ranking is not accurate.

South Africa in last World Cup went to reach semis after losing to japan and japan did not get out of the group.
    Could happen again

In the last World Cup the 5th seeds didn't make it out of their pool and were the first host nation not to make the knockouts. No northern hemisphere team made the knockouts.

That is what this tournament is like, brutal and competitive.

I dont know how though. They play the same 5 teams year in year out in some mickey mouse competition. As soon as they come up against a team with a different style (Argentina, Japan) in a proper tournament, they get found out. There is something wrong with world rugby rankings if we are number 1 playing 5 other teams.

Why were our players crying with joy when they beat NZ in that meaningless friendly? Why does the number 1 team not treat a win like that like any other victory? It should be like any other day in te office. Surely Ireland should beat them at least 50% of the time when they play?

Rankings are based on results only, not hunches or guesswork.

In the last World Cup the 5th seeds didn't make it out of their pool and were the first host nation not to make the knockouts. No northern hemisphere team made the knockouts.

That is what this tournament is like, brutal and competitive.

You mean the semi finals. Ireland, Wales, France and Scotland all went out in the quarter finals,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kickout was confusing, why didn't he just turn and kick it out the back or to the side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The truth is, you dont know a lot about rugby. And that is okay, no harm. What is an issue, is speaking with absolute confidence on a topic that you are not well versed in. Either you are on the wind up, which is some sad **** for a grown up to be doing, or you really feel like you can add to a discussion about a sport you know little about, which is also pretty sad.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    You just talk nonsense on here seriously and have no idea what you’re talking about eg james hart being a huge loss to Ireland ffs.

Carbery at 15? He hasn’t played there for eighteen months and he won’t play there for the next three years with Munster bar in game injuries. But yes he’s the future for Ireland in that position. Have no idea how someone who posts so much here genuinely thinks that’s a realistic idea.

As for Carty, he was far from Irelands main issue today. When the forwards gave some sort of platform he was instrumental in guiding Ireland to 12-3 lead. Then the forwards got outplayed, 29% possession in second half and likely similar tally in last twenty of first half. The little ball Ireland got was incredibly slow, hard for a ten to do much in those conditions which is likely why there wasn’t any improvement when Carbery came on.

How many times have you reference the James Hart post? 5-10 times now? Seeing as that is nearly 12 months ago now you might reference something new

I said Carbery at 15 with H Byrne at 10....read the post instead of flying off the handle......that’s for 2023.....

As fro Carty.....unfortunately I was right all aloong

The Six Nations is a Mickey Mouse competition? Right there Ted.:rolleyes:

You mean the semi finals. Ireland, Wales, France and Scotland all went out in the quarter finals,

Sorry, meant 'past the 1st knockout stage'

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kickout was confusing, why didn't he just turn and kick it out the back or to the side?

I dont think he kicked it out to guarantee the bonus point, I think he was on auto pilot and clearing his lines.
    Which considering he was freshly on, is worrying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ireland didn’t know whether they were coming or going today . Carberry likes consistency .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ive already asked this...

if the officiating was fair and just, do you think ireland would have won?

No, nor do I think they would have won if the Refs job depended on them winning.

They were beaten off the field.

The reality is Scotland was a low bar to clear. There was a lot of bluster during the week about how good we actually were.

blinding wrote: »
    Ireland didn’t know whether they were coming or going today . Carberry likes consistency .

Can I ask was he fit to play the whole match ?

How many times have you reference the James Hart post? 5-10 times now? Seeing as that is nearly 12 months ago now you might reference something new

I said Carbery at 15 with H Byrne at 10....read the post instead of flying off the handle......that’s for 2023.....

As fro Carty.....unfortunately I was right all aloong

I read the post. Do you read posts properly? The other day you said Carty in the quarter final 23 would mean our two best tens were injured when there is only three tens out there.

Now you don’t seem to get my point again. Carbery is signed up with Munster until ‘22. He won’t be playing fifteeen there. Munster need him at ten. If he isn’t playing fifteen at provincial level he won’t be considered there internationally. No chance of it happening - zero.

As for Carty, think Schmidt might have a better handle on his abilities than yourself.

By the way, whenever you want to clarify who ‘everyone’ that thinks Scotland are great is, that would be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

ebbsy wrote: »
    The reality is Scotland was a low bar to clear. There was a lot of bluster during the week about how good we actually were.

And the week before Scotland were well able to take us based on what they did in the 2nd half in Twickenham in the 6ns.

It would serve us all well to do a cross section of the public opinion over the last 5 weeks.
    Twould look like a cardiogram of some sort I imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement