Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

conditions in West Mayo half hour ago.

OK, that's windy. Wind picking up in Meath slightly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

8.7m wave reported reported at m6, m4 probably more in the line now but that seems to only report wave measurements every 3 hpurs sadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking like it's still way out to the west.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites/europe-visible#

Is it going to make its turn eastward?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

irishgeo wrote: »
    8.7m wave reported reported at m6, m4 probably more in the line now but that seems to only report wave measurements every 3 hpurs sadly.
    Max wave height recorded was 12.5m @1300 today.
    http://webapps.marine.ie/IWPGraphs/Default.aspx?Type=1&ProjectId=2&InstSite=M6&Inst=Hmax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at forecast track of the system i expect some surprises could yet be in store tonight from this. Id imagine some power outages after dark. Its nowhere near us yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Deirdre Lowe from ME on radio now saying they do not expect landfall until around 5am or 6am tomorrow morning, somewhere between north Mayo/Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

pauldry wrote: »
    Looking at forecast track of the system i expect some surprises could yet be in store tonight from this. Id imagine some power outages after dark. Its nowhere near us yet.

Met Eireann just said on RTÉ that Sligo and Leitrim will probably be in Orange warnings. Clearly tracking a bit northerly than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Deirdre Lowe from ME on radio now saying they do not expect landfall until around 5am or 6am tomorrow morning.

Looking at the GFS on Ventusky this seems to tie in, and it is making landfall further north and then appears to just die out by 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent gust of 52kts at DunLaoghaire Harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Normal enough day in cork city. Was windy this morning and then really heavy rain (drizzling now) but calmed down. I’d say from tonight onwards is when the country will start to really feel the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Recent gust of 52kts at DunLaoghaire Harbour.

Docarch,
    Not so sure on DL Harbour readings.
    The Dublin Bay Bouy is showing a difference in the gusts registered. I think the bouy is positionally better for picking up wind information - less structural interference. Highest gust so far is 47 knots (F9) and the Avg wind has been in the F7 category.
    https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy
    JK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Met Eireann just said on RTÉ that Sligo and Leitrim will probably be in Orange warnings. Clearly tracking a bit northerly than expected.

That would be inline with what the the 6z models showed that I mentioned on my live twitter update at lunch and makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

UrbanFret wrote: »
    For the uninitiated why does it not keep heading north. What causes it to veer right.

At a very basic level it bumps into the jet stream which pushes along in this case to the right of its current path

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

UrbanFret wrote: »
    For the uninitiated why does it not keep heading north. What causes it to veer right.

I think it is the jet stream that steers depressions. If anyone else might be better able to answer this question. It is probably like maneuvering a large truck around a sharp corner.

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Docarch,
    Not so sure on DL Harbour readings.
    The Dublin Bay Bouy is showing a difference in the gusts registered. I think the bouy is positionally better for picking up wind information - less structural interference. Highest gust so far is 47 knots (F9) and the Avg wind has been in the F7 category.
    https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy
    JK

The Dublin Bay bouy is probably around 3 or 4km from DL Harbour. In addition sensors to the bouy are only around 3m over sea level where as sensors to DL Harbour higher, around 10m over sea level.

Given that, not sure that makes the buoy any more accurate than DL Harbour?

Atm, bouy is reporting 48kt gust and DL Harbour reporting 52kt gust.

Re Met Eireann

The Met Office in the UK always had touchdown in West Donegal and Met Eireann North Mayo

To me the Met Office always looked more correct but we willsee if the hosepipe hits a duck in Mayo or Donegal and remember Sligo is the mediator

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My watch shows the pressure bottoming out at 994 - 14.45 in Galway. Is Sat 24 the best way to see the latest position ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

The Dublin Bay bouy is probably around 3 or 4km from DL Harbour. In addition sensors to the bouy are only around 3m over sea level where as sensors to DL Harbour higher, around 10m over sea level.

Sorry Docarch my point is more that there could be structural interference in the DL readings. In a SE wind,the Carlisle Pier, the RSTGYC, the NYC and the East Pier are in line, whereas the DBB is more open to the true wind.
    Could be the differnce between a storm & strong gale :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Latest GFS run shows wider range for high gusts along the coast tonight. Everywhere else is BAU and unchanged.

• Advertisement

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Sorry Docarch my point is more that there could be structural interference in the DL readings. In a SE wind,the Carlisle Pier, the RSTGYC, the NYC and the East Pier are in line, whereas the DBB is more open to the true wind.

Fair point!

By the way a lot calmer than earlier now in Dublin 16. Was quite stormy earlier. Just a light breeze now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great both threads full of 'banter'.

Plenty more moisture to come over the weekend looking at whats coming in off the atlantic.

EF89YczXoAILsv_?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

No5KUoQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Raining lightly all day in the Arklow area but very light
    Warmer sir is moving in
    Temp is up 4c since earlier in the afternoon despite the wind and rain
    Wind is veering SW as opposed to SE ,so off land not sea which could explain some of this also
    Currently 1001.3mb falling steadily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Roonagh pier co mayo 03/10/19
    Qr2KYpY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It was very rough down at Poolbeg, I'll have a video up in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Is it slowly starting to turn or is it just spreading out on Sat 24 in the 17:25 update?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Looks like a band of rain moving in to Galway soon enough based in the latest sat24 image.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The Great South Wall and Poolbeg Lighthouse at high tide this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/DavidCostelloDC/status/1179797603019628547

• Advertisement

50knots still seems the highest gust so far

Belmullet hit 49knots just now

A tame affair so far. Wel see what night brings

Advertisement