Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suffering from burnout

Options
  • 27-09-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

So I think that I'm suffering from burnout and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

Long story short, I'm a senior developer and I'm heading up my own project, which is quite demanding. I've found that I've developed anxiety, nothing major, just every so often I get a flutter of panic/dread. It's worth noting as well that the last annual leave which I took was December, so I'm wondering is this just due to burnout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You need to take your holidays - how much time are you owed?

There is very good reason that there is legislation on time off in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Diziet wrote: »
    You need to take your holidays - how much time are you owed?

There is very good reason that there is legislation on time off in place!

I've 22 days. I've booked four days off next week and another week late October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

In short yes you are burnout.

Being the lead in a project and not having time off in nine months means you've not shut off from the project at all.

There's a reason people receive holiday entitlement and it's to let them take a break and recharge the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Maybe you don't need to place a label on this?

Certainly 9-10 months without a holiday is a long time. Go enjoy yours, turn off all work stuff and I bet you come back refreshed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

14dMoney wrote: »
    I've 22 days. I've booked four days off next week and another week late October.

Could you turn the week off into two weeks?

My experience with burnout is that its a bit like a rubber band, you can push yourself so far, but eventually you snap and its very hard to come back from. I left a job that was causing me immense anxiety and stress, and it was year before I could start applying for a normal role again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Absolutely take your holiday, it's no wonder you are feeling the strain. You have practically a year's accrued holiday left.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Lux23 wrote: »
    Could you turn the week off into two weeks?

My experience with burnout is that its a bit like a rubber band, you can push yourself so far, but eventually you snap and its very hard to come back from. I left a job that was causing me immense anxiety and stress, and it was year before I could start applying for a normal role again.

Thanks for that. Probably not, I do have another week off next month for the bank holiday, so it won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

14dMoney wrote: »
    So I think that I'm suffering from burnout and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

Long story short, I'm a senior developer and I'm heading up my own project, which is quite demanding. I've found that I've developed anxiety, nothing major, just every so often I get a flutter of panic/dread. It's worth noting as well that the last annual leave which I took was December, so I'm wondering is this just due to burnout?

The only person that can certify the root cause of the symptoms you are feeling is a medical professional. See your GP ASAP....

That said, no annual leave since December ? I don’t wish to sound unsympathetic but that’s fûcking ridiculous. Both on your behalf and your employer. If I’m your employer I’m MAKING you take a week off.

Do you have family ? People who love you ? Depend on you ? You are another one of these ‘super heroes’ who gets gratification from ‘work’ over your family and loved ones, order your headstone now.. or... walk into your employer, advise you are ready to drop dead, you are exhausted so you are taking a week off...they refuse ? Call in sick, fûck em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Make sure you actually do something during your days off.

You need to disconnect from your laptop and visit somewhere.

That's the only way you'll come back feeling refreshed.

Don't just stay at home and work on side projects and check your work e-mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

When you do take time off hand the reins to someone else, that means no work contact by email or phone, theres no point taking time off if they can reach you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

You've lots of days to take sounds like you need to extend that week to at least 2 weeks if not 3.

Advertisement