Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Change Remorse

Options
  • 27-09-2019 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi All, I work for a company that performs engineering works on client sites around Ireland. For the last few years I was based on one particular site. It was a nice place to work, but I had been there so long I knew the place inside out and the role wasn't much of a challenge anymore.

So I asked my company for a transfer, which at first they were reluctant because the site I was on liked me but I insisted and I started on a new site the start of this month and to be honest I am massively regretting my change. The new site is extremely behind schedule so 10+hr days are expected along with weekend work. On the new site I am working in a project role so when the hours die down and the site is in normal operation, I will be sent off somewhere else again.

I'm considering looking for a job elsewhere, somewhere I can grow in the role but I'm afraid if I leave this place so soon after starting (and after I was the one who requested to come here in the first place!) I will completely burn my bridge with my current company and considering how small the industry I am in is, that could be a very dangerous thing to do.

I don't know what to do, leaving could end up closing the door with my current company (one of the biggest in my area) but staying here for another few months just feels like hell. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is this not the challenge you wanted, to prevent yourself going stale in your previous site? Maybe you just got used to doing things on autopilot, a job in another company may also be very different from the one you had, and no longer wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

"10+hr days are expected along with weekend work" isn't a challenge that would interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You are possibly overthinking this - go find another job that you genuinely want. then resign on good terms - 'I am sorry to leave such a great firm but i had a very good offer that I cannot bypass' etc. Do a great handover, be genuinely helpful to leave things on a good standing, then go. No bridges burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

I suppose what I really wanted was to move up in terms of my career, the old site was quite small and I was as senior as I was ever going to be so I thought I could move up the ladder if I changed to a bigger client site. The problem is the new site is in start up mode, so theyre just throwing people on jobs to get it done then once the start up is complete they'll be ramping down personnel again, so theres even less upward mobility where I am now which is really getting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    I suppose what I really wanted was to move up in terms of my career, the old site was quite small and I was as senior as I was ever going to be so I thought I could move up the ladder if I changed to a bigger client site. The problem is the new site is in start up mode, so theyre just throwing people on jobs to get it done then once the start up is complete they'll be ramping down personnel again, so theres even less upward mobility where I am now which is really getting me down.

But if you are not up to the challenge, how do you expect to move up? With promotion usually comes more responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Dav010 wrote: »
    But if you are not up to the challenge, how do you expect to move up? With promotion usually comes more responsibility.

Sorry I probably wasn't clear. The work on the new site is actually a good step down from what I was doing. The job, without going into detail, is testing and error correction where as previously I was technical lead on projects. The challenge here is not the type of work its simply the volume. In essence they are bringing on people of all levels to do the grunt work to get the project over the line.

That in itself isn't so much the issue, there will always be times when long hours and grunt work is needed but the aspect that is getting me down is it has become very apparent that once the start up phase is complete the team will be let go from site. Therefore no room for moving up, learning new skills etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Working to live or living to work, I nearly went to another site just for the challenge and opportunity to satisfy my delusions of grandeur...
    Cashing cheques my ego couldn't afford...

I got a gut feeling that it wouldn't suit my lifestyle, I was in my early 30's thankfully I'm still in the old roll, responsible for my own area, that other roll was taken by a younger buck.

He's absolutely burnt out took on 1000% extra responsibility for a 25% payrise...

Thankfully I am able to have a life.

Time after time I've seen people up to their necks in it.

1000% extra responsibility for 25% extra...

in effect he's -875%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

You asked for a transfer and were refused but you 'insisted' so now you've got what you wanted.

You wanted a challenge? Not going to look great to go back to the old site after kicking up for a transfer in the first place.

Three options

1.Rise to the challenge
    2.Ask for your old site back
    3.Get a completely new job

All are possible but only you can decide which is for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

You asked for a transfer and were refused but you 'insisted' so now you've got what you wanted.

You wanted a challenge? Not going to look great to go back to the old site after kicking up for a transfer in the first place.

Three options

1.Rise to the challenge
    2.Ask for your old site back
    3.Get a completely new job

All are possible but only you can decide which is for you.

Love it, practical suggestion without any sound bites....

You're ahead of the game, fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

nthclare wrote: »
    Love it, practical suggestion without any sound bites....

You're ahead of the game, fair play to you.

Well there is a fourth option but it involves a DeLorean.

OP only you can decide which option sits most comfortably with you. It could just be new job jitters and with time it won't be so bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement