Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest Italian in the city

Options
  • 27-09-2019 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

The nicest Italian I've ever been to was mama dellas in Orlando. Is there any top Italian restaurant in the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres a good few but the one I keep going back to is da Mimmos on North Strand. Also Bottega Toffoli near Dublin Castle pretty nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Marco in Sandyford, a great bloke, would help you out with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://ilcorvo.ie/

In Drumcondra, been a family fave for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Terra madre for pasta dishes

Damimmo for pizza

la gustosa is savage (coast road before Sutton and new)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Wallace's Asti beside Croke Park

and Wood Fire Cafe on Blessington St are local to me and have always been excellent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Forno 500 does the best pizzas I have had in Dublin I can't say I have had anything else in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Thanks guys. I don't live in Dublin. Will be just a day out so looking for something very central . I like my steak and usually go the bull and castle . I was there a few weeks ago and whilst it's very nice it's also very exp . A 3 course meal with a bottle of wine cost me 124 euro. It's the Mark up on the wine that pissed me off . 44 euro for s 14 euro bottle of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I don't live in Dublin. Will be just a day out so looking for something very central . I like my steak and usually go the bull and castle . I was there a few weeks ago and whilst it's very nice it's also very exp . A 3 course meal with a bottle of wine cost me 124 euro. It's the Mark up on the wine that pissed me off . 44 euro for s 14 euro bottle of wine
    I think Darwin's is pretty good value for a steak on its early bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Sounds like you’re looking for a good steak ata reasonable price rather than Italian necessarily.

My favourite Italian in Dublin is San lorenzos on George’s street.

If you want steak at a good price I’d recommend feather blade on Dawson street. They cook feather blade steaks sous vide then finish in pan which gives great flavour and tenderness. €14.

If price isn’t a factor then shanahans would be a good option for steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is early bird an option? 3 courses for €30.

If we've moved on from Italian to steak options, say FXBs in Crow street, just off Temple Bar:
    https://www.fxbuckley.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CR-001-EarlyBird-Jun.pdf

3 courses at a la carte prices in Dublin with a bottle of wine isn't going to leave you much change of a €100 though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

For one person?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The nicest Italian I've ever been to was mama dellas in Orlando. Is there any top Italian restaurant in the city

Rosa Madre in Temple Bar, especially for. Seafood. Grano in Stoneybatter for offbeat pasta dishes keenly prices in a casual atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Cafe Topolis is one of the best in Dublin also good valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

What I'm looking for is a good spaghetti Bolognese meatballs or lasange

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A couple of the recommendations on the thread make this list...

IRISH people have long had a love affair with Italian food, so it comes as little surprise that six of the restaurants that made the top 100 in a prestigious European competition are in Dublin.
    Included on the 100 Best Italian Restaurants in Europe 2019 Awards list were: Da Mimmo on North Strand Road, Forno 500 on Dame Street, I Monelli on Portobello Road, Pinocchio in Ranelagh, Rosa Madre in Temple Bar and Terra Madre on Bachelors Walk.

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/six-dublin-restaurants-in-top-100-italians-in-europe-38546430.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Marcusm wrote: »
    Rosa Madre in Temple Bar, especially for. Seafood. Grano in Stoneybatter for offbeat pasta dishes keenly prices in a casual atmosphere.

Went to Rosa Madre recently and was not impressed. The food was nice, but that was all. The cost of the wine in the place is nuts. Someone mentioned mark up on wine, well you'd lose your mind seeing their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

weatherspoons for you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Maldesu wrote: »
    Went to Rosa Madre recently and was not impressed. The food was nice, but that was all. The cost of the wine in the place is nuts. Someone mentioned mark up on wine, well you'd lose your mind seeing their prices.

Reasonable palates can differ. As regards the wine, I had not noticed any particularly egregious mark ups; in fact on one partiular brand of champagne (Ruinart), I think they are cheaper than many off-licences which carry it (admittedly not many carry it; Redmonds, 67 Wine).

I would acknowledge that none of the places I cited would likely satisfy the OP. Certainly there would not be any spaghetti bolognaise in any of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ciao Bella Roma would have some of the more "basic", if you will, Italian dishes that are popular in Ireland.

I haven't eaten at Al Vesuvio, but I've heard good things and they have an extensive pasta menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

San Lorenzo's isn't exactly Italian, more New York Italian. Though I think the ragu in there is exactly what you are looking for and the place is very central. The porchetta in their best dish I think, its smashing.

Da Mimmo's ragu is very good, nut a little bit out of the city centre.

Rosa Madre is very good for seafood. Grano is the best for pasta now I think, but its a bit of a haul form city centre, the meat ball starter there is very good, very juicy and the right amount of fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Pinocchio is good for red sauce type Italian. They are also very friendly and consistent. Two locations, one in Temple Bar and other in Ranelagh

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's a tiny Italian restaurant hidden away off Mount Street on Grattan Street called Mama Mia that does excellent authentic food. Not a spag bol in sight! But plenty of ragù in various dishes.

Bit off the beaten track but easily within walking distance of your Grafton Streets etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

There's a tiny Italian restaurant hidden away off Mount Street on Grattan Street called Mama Mia that does excellent authentic food. Not a spag bol in sight! But plenty of ragù in various dishes.

Bit off the beaten track but easily within walking distance of your Grafton Streets etc.

Yup, fantastic pizza as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Twee. wrote: »
    Ciao Bella Roma would have some of the more "basic", if you will, Italian dishes that are popular in Ireland.

I haven't eaten at Al Vesuvio, but I've heard good things and they have an extensive pasta menu.

I really like Al Vesuvio. Maybe not the best Italian in the city but the food has always been great and the service is excellent. Not too expensive considering its location either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Their Gnocchi is to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Enoteca Delle Langhe in Italian Quarter in D1. Great food and atmosphere. Nice staff, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Does Bottega Toffoli require a booking, or do you just have to show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

youre better off booking toffoli, their tables are booked out quickly most weekend
    they seem to be more popular these days as well
    fantastic Italian food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Da mimmos in North strand the best!

Advertisement