Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasonally, is there a best time to sell a house?

Options
  • 27-09-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm debating with myself when is the best time to put the house up for sale. The house is ready to be sold now but I'm curious if there's a best time or time to avoid? or is that just a ridiculous thought?

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Whenever your buyer is ready to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

This is the best time to be honest for next 2-3 years !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ELM327 wrote: »
    Whenever your buyer is ready to buy

So in deciphering your reply, you're basically saying seasonality doesn't come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

People tend not to buy in December/Jan/Feb - a number of factors at play including Christmas, and also the depths of winter isnt a great time to view houses for either buyers or sellers, as things don't look as nice in bad weather and daylight is limited.

July and August are also pretty dead due to holidays.

Other than that, go ahead.

I know this is stlightly a Captain Hindsight thing to say, but ideally you'd have posted this at the start of September, which would have been ideal as you'd have had the maximum window between the end of summer and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jon1981 wrote: »
    So in deciphering your reply, you're basically saying seasonality doesn't come into it?

More like this tbh:

SozBbz wrote: »
    People tend not to buy in December/Jan/Feb - a number of factors at play including Christmas, and also the depths of winter isnt a great time to view houses for either buyers or sellers, as things don't look as nice in bad weather and daylight is limited.

July and August are also pretty dead due to holidays.

Other than that, go ahead.

I know this is stlightly a Captain Hindsight thing to say, but ideally you'd have posted this at the start of September, which would have been ideal as you'd have had the maximum window between the end of summer and Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

From what I have read on the subject Springtime and also Sept/October. Apparently summer is a bit slow as people are on Holidays. I have also noticed a lot more houses to buy coming online in the last few weeks. I am in the same boat as you, I think its too late for me to sell right now as the house needs tidying. I am aiming for springtime.

It would also depend on who you think would be buying, if you think its going to be couple with schoolchildren then I think Spring would be best so that deal may be done before next school year. I think my buyers would be retired/older couple so either spring or autumn would probably suit.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm debating with myself when is the best time to put the house up for sale. The house is ready to be sold now but I'm curious if there's a best time or time to avoid? or is that just a ridiculous thought?

J

I'm a buyer and waiting for a suitable house in my location. There is no time of the year that I am not looking.

Advertisement