Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what laptop

Options
  • 27-09-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi

I see lots of threads here with people looking for specifics so apologies if this is done to death.

Im wondering is there a solid off the shelf laptop or would I be better looking at a custom build.

What I want is not complicated however. I have 2 websites I run, 1 is very small - one is huge. I want a laptop that is as fast as possible on the internet - I know people will say it is the connection, but there is 2 other laptops in the house on the same connection and one is a million times faster than the other on wordpress, the laptop im replacing was faster again so I presume its processor speed Im after? or am I wrong.

literally thats all I need it for, but the laptop im writing this on would make you pull off your fingernails waiting for page commands to process. My developer has configured wordpress to be as responsive as possible for me.

What are the components that would allow the best speeds I should be looking for?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What browser are you using? If it's Google Chrome then that'll partially explain why one might be faster than another if they have different amounts of RAM. CPU isn't the bottleneck. You probably want lots of RAM and a really good 5GHz Wifi receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Shiminay wrote: »
    What browser are you using? If it's Google Chrome then that'll partially explain why one might be faster than another if they have different amounts of RAM. CPU isn't the bottleneck. You probably want lots of RAM and a really good 5GHz Wifi receiver.

Is chrome itself an issue btw - it does seem to have an awful lot going on - what the best browser for no frills internet.

And ram is where i need to be looking? Was looking at 1.7core processor with 32g ram - overkill??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you can avoid Chrome, I find Firefox or even Edge to be more behaved.

32Gb is overkill yes.
    I'd say it's either your processor being a low-power U-series and/or the machine not having an SSD drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Shiminay wrote: »

You really need to do a bit of testing with the system under load to see where the bottleneck is. At the simplest, you can use task manager and see if you're exhausting memory, your CPU is hitting 100% (multi-thread speed issue), your CPU is hitting 100% / number of cores (single thread speed issue), your disk is being accessed at full tilt or your network is being accessed at full tilt. You can use something like perfmon to test this over time, but often the simple tests give you a decent notion of what needs upgrading. Unless you're dealing with big data I doubt you'd ever need over 16gb of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

ardinn wrote: »
    Hi

I see lots of threads here with people looking for specifics so apologies if this is done to death.

Im wondering is there a solid off the shelf laptop or would I be better looking at a custom build.

What I want is not complicated however. I have 2 websites I run, 1 is very small - one is huge. I want a laptop that is as fast as possible on the internet - I know people will say it is the connection, but there is 2 other laptops in the house on the same connection and one is a million times faster than the other on wordpress, the laptop im replacing was faster again so I presume its processor speed Im after? or am I wrong.

literally thats all I need it for, but the laptop im writing this on would make you pull off your fingernails waiting for page commands to process. My developer has configured wordpress to be as responsive as possible for me.

What are the components that would allow the best speeds I should be looking for?

Check your antivirus isn't checking all files, changes, open pages continuously etc. Disabling some of those options might improve performance

• Advertisement
Advertisement