Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New renovations require minimum B2 ratings?

• 27-09-2019 3:58pm

Howdy do folks,

I am not sure if this is in the right place, or if indeed it's already being discussed and I just can't find it, but I overheard a poor-signal radio show today (think it was Pat Kenny on RTE, but could be wrong) saying there's new rules afoot, and the gist of it is that newly built houses have to meet a certain BER.

However, they also said that any houses that do anything that requires planning permission now also have to be brought up to current regs and as a result, will cost a lot more than they would have before?

If I heard it correctly, some chap that was being interviewed said that pretty much any house built before 2000 will have wiring that doesn't comply with current regs, and therefore if you do anything involving planning, you'd not only have to insulate the whole house to get it to B2 at least, but you'd also have to re-wire the whole thing, too. :confused:

This seems mental, to me. So If i wanted to add a small front porch, I have to rewire the kitchen and bedrooms :eek:

Can see a lot of extension/renovation work slowing down massively if that interpretation of the situation is correct.

Thankfully I built an extension about 2 years ago so narrowly avoided this (although now that i think of it, mine was planning exempt anyway, but I had intentions of adding a 1st floor extension on top of the existing one down the line, but that's that plan shot now, if my reading of the above is correct).

Didn't hear any mention of grants or subsidies or the likes, either. :o

Could be talking out my ass, though, as I did miss a bit of it due to dodgy reception on the radio, but i'm genuinely curious as to other people's thoughts and can't find a thread on here.

Will surely knacker the sale of older 2nd hand houses? They'll definitely drop in value, and can see builders not being as busy once they inform people that their €50k extension will not cost €80k and they'll have to tear the whole house up..?

Comments

Advertisement