Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension - Professional Added Years

Options
  • 27-09-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone who has retired and applied for professional added years and was successful. Particularly interested in someone who entered the third level system as an AL.

Also was the AL entry requirements less than the L lecturer requirements. AFAIK it is based on the essential job criteria on your first entry to the system.

I am interested if post quallification service was a requirement and how it was considered.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very interesting point, no idea of the answer and presume it will be a no as the increased salary is reflection of the requirements of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just looking at some open positions in Carlow IT at the moment both for AL and L. https://www.itcarlow.ie/vacancies.htm?view/id/678

The minimum requirement for both is a Honours degree and 3 years experience.

To get the professional added years you need not to have been able to get 40 years service at normal retirement age. i.e you had to be capable of meeting the criteria by age 25.

In a typical case. Leave School at 18, 4 years for honour degree 22, 3 Years experience (Post Quallification) 25. Depending on your birthday, you may not be deemed quallified until your gradauation date, rather than the date of the exam board which ratified your quallification.

I think if you were going for a position where for example you needed to be a quallified accountant, this could add the training time to it.

I would be interested in real world examples of people were successful and how they constructed their case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume they put in the minimum, but the person who gets such a job, bar leave or contract, will need far more than that, hence the salary reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://www.ul.ie/hr/sites/hr/files/user_media/pdfs/PAY%20Rules%2017.04.2013.pdf

Interesting documment which lais it out. The circular is included after the UL interpretation in each section.

Advertisement