Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus flight cancelled

Options
  • 27-09-2019 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Myself and the good lady were supposed to fly from Knock to Gatwick with Aer Lingus this evening for her brothers wedding tomorrow. Our flight was due to depart at 19:25.

Around that time an announcement was made that the flight was delayed. Another announcement was made about 30 mins later saying the flight from Gatwick had to reroute to Dublin due to technical issues, this was the plane that was supposed to go back to Gatwick with us on it.

About another 30 minutes later it was announced the flight was cancelled and we had to go to check in desk. We went and were told we had two options, a hotel in Knock to go from Knock tomorrow or a bus to Dublin with hotel to go from Dublin tomorrow.

However, we were told we had to book whichever flight we wanted ourselves and to claim a refund via a link that had been emailed to us. Here's the kicker, when we activated the link their website recorded the flight has having taken off and landed, and therefore it didn't work.

We ended up booking one ourselves to Dublin and paying for it ourselves. A little while later we discovered if we had rang Aer Lingus they would have transferred our flight for free. I know we are entitled to a refund for the missed flight this evening, but are we entitled to get a refund for tomorrow's flights that we booked ourselves? Or even the difference in price?

I appreciate this is very long winded and I may have missed out some info so feel to ask.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You’ll get a refund of your cancelled flight, plus the cost of the new flight, plus hotel costs and any transfer costs and meal/beverages (within reason). You should also be due compo under EU261. Up to €600pp I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Batgurl wrote: »
    You’ll get a refund of your cancelled flight, plus the cost of the new flight, plus hotel costs and any transfer costs and meal/beverages (within reason). You should also be due compo under EU261. Up to €600pp I believe.

600 is for long haul

Advertisement