Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuning in Saorview on a JVC

• 27-09-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sincere apologies if this is a similar topic or a question that has been asked already. I have a JVC LT-32460. basic telly with a built in tuner, I have tuned in all the Saoirview channel on the DTV channel and at times (in fact a lot of times) the single degrades and gets very choppy and you can't watch it.

Is it a case that.

1. TV tuners are crap and maybe I should get a Combo Box.
    2. I haven't tuned it properly.

Any help is appreciated. Hoping in the next month or so to get the Saorview Powerpoint Connect Box as the interface looks slick and user friendly, Until then I need to get the TV tuner corrected!

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

What kind of aerial are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭tom23

No to sure. It wa replaced about two years ago by an engineer after the 1980's blew down. Its new enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

tom23 wrote: »
    No to sure. It wa replaced about two years ago by an engineer after the 1980's blew down. Its new enough.

Has it ever worked before ?

You'll need to a little process of elimination.

Try another device (TV/set top box with suitable dvb-t tuner) at that location.

Is there any other rooms that has tv points ? Whats it like at that location.

The TV will have a signal meter built into it. Use that to measure.

Could be so many things from dodgy aerial/amp/splitter issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Have you only one set of Saorview channels, or are there duplicates? (Could be a long list to go through with all the supposed to be hidden crap.)

Can you get up which UHF channel nos. or frequencies they're on?

STB. wrote: »
    Has it ever worked before ?

You'll need to a little process of elimination.

Try another device (TV/set top box with suitable dvb-t tuner) at that location.

Is there any other rooms that has tv points ? Whats it like at that location.

The TV will have a signal meter built into it. Use that to measure.

Could be so many things from dodgy aerial/amp/splitter issue.

Howdy, thanks for the reply. I think I have managed to get it working but will give it a few days. I have a JVC tv and ran the Auto Tuning DTV+ATV and it pulled in all the Saorview channels. I had to further edit (move them around) as they where all over the place. There is a little Signal Strength icon up in the top corner and its seems to have 4 bars out of 5 which is good.

On the back of this I might see can I pick up a second hand Set Top Box Dual Combo and see how it works out. I have a connection to the Sat (which was installed by Sky a few years back)

Thanks again for the reply.

• Advertisement

Have you only one set of Saorview channels, or are there duplicates? (Could be a long list to go through with all the supposed to be hidden crap.)

Can you get up which UHF channel nos. or frequencies they're on?

I took a screen grab but you can't upload images here it seems.

Signal Information

Network Name 2RN 1
    Channel CH54
    Frequency 738.00 MHz
    Modulation DVB-T 64QAM
    Strength 38
    Quality 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I have a JVC tv and ran the Auto Tuning DTV+ATV and it pulled in all the Saorview channels. I had to further edit (move them around) as they where all over the place.

If the TV is setup with Ireland as the country then the channels will be stored in a logical order, 1 RTÉ One, 2 RTÉ 2, 3 VM 1, etc. If they are being stored randomly and possibly in the 800s the TV may be set to UK or elsewhere, if this is the case try a factory reset.

I took a screen grab but you can't upload images here it seems.

Signal Information

Network Name 2RN 1
    Channel CH54
    Frequency 738.00 MHz
    Modulation DVB-T 64QAM
    Strength 38
    Quality 0

Channel 54 is an old frequency that will be switched off next March, a retune should find the new replacement frequency, on-air since early Sept. I assume your aerial is pointing at Kippure where the new channel numbers are 34 & 35, replacing 54 & 58. As I said in my previous post ensure your TV is set to Ireland as the country/region.

Find the transmitter recommended for your location here - http://coverage.2rn.ie/index700.php

Signal strength at 38% is very low, possible problem with aerial, cabling and/or connections?

The Cush wrote: »
    Channel 54 is an old frequency that will be switched off next March, a retune should find the new replacement frequency, on-air since early Sept. I assume your aerial is pointing at Kippure where the new channel numbers are 34 & 35, replacing 54 & 58. As I said in my previous post ensure your TV is set to Ireland as the country/region.

Find the transmitter recommended for your location here - http://coverage.2rn.ie/index700.php

Signal strength at 38% is very low, possible problem with aerial, cabling and/or connections?

Hey thanks a million for the reply, that makes some sense. Am picking up a second hand Walker combo box so going to test that at the weekend. But will factory reset everything and try and retune. Do you recommend manual or auto tuning? And should I do it On the DTV or ATV or both? Cheers

Am picking up a second hand Walker combo box so going to test that at the weekend. But will factory reset everything and try and retune. Do you recommend manual or auto tuning? And should I do it On the DTV or ATV or both?

DTV (digital/DTT TV) only.
    ATV = analogue terrestrial TV ended Oct 2012.

Try auto first, if that fails due to the low signal try a manual retune.

• Advertisement

DTV (digital/DTT TV) only.
    ATV = analogue terrestrial TV ended Oct 2012.

Try auto first, if that fails due to the low signal try a manual retune.

Will do. Can I ask as a matter of interest are the tuners in tvs as good as a combo box? I take the combo box will get me FTA and UK stuff but generally are the TV tuners reliable? Thanks

All this is new to me but find it very interesting.

Can I ask as a matter of interest are the tuners in tvs as good as a combo box? I take the combo box will get me FTA and UK stuff but generally are the TV tuners reliable?
    Generally tuners are similar but some can handle a weak signal better than others.

In your case the signal appears especially low, I would initially focus on the aerial/cable/connections.

Generally tuners are similar but some can handle a weak signal better than others.

In your case the signal appears especially low, I would initially focus on the aerial/cable/connections.

Ok will do, can I get a couple of pointers? Would it help I was to post some images of aerial and connections? Or do I bit the bullet and call out the engineer again? If I though I could get through this myself I would appreciate that (and save myself the cash)

Thanks again for all your help, greatly appreciated.

Do the reset and retune first. Physically check any accessible connections also.

Check the signal with the box also.

If there's no improvement it might be worth getting someone in with a meter to check aerial and cabling.

Do the reset and retune first. Physically check any accessible connections also.

Check the signal with the box also.

If there's no improvement it might be worth getting someone in with a meter to check aerial and cabling.

Ok while I'm all set to do the above. I got the opportunity to buy one of these boxes.

Walker WPS818C

Have you heard f this box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ok while I'm all set to do the above. I got the opportunity to buy one of these boxes.

Walker WPS818C

Have you heard f this box?

Yeah box is fine. Theres a thread on it here

Does Saorview and Satellite in the one channel list.

STB. wrote: »
    Yeah box is fine. Theres a thread on it here

Does Saorview and Satellite in the one channel list.

Yeah I just found that! A lot of the stuff over my head. Its a brand new box so when I install it first will automatically do a software update or should I manually do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Yeah I just found that! A lot of the stuff over my head. Its a brand new box so when I install it first will automatically do a software update or should I manually do that?

I got onea few months ago, for the in-laws, did the auto upgrade and it worked fine. There is an app for it too, can be of use to renumber channel, set up recordings.

decor58 wrote: »
    I got onea few months ago, for the in-laws, did the auto upgrade and it worked fine. There is an app for it too, can be of use to renumber channel, set up recordings.

Cheers decor I’ll get it set up and report back to how it went.

Quick question folks. For some reason I thought I still had a satellite cable running into my kitchen when I had a multi room sky subscription. Turns out It was removed removed and all there is now is the Arial Cable.

This is the very messy picture of the back of my box. What sort of connection do I get so that I can feed a satellite cable of this box to a walker combo box in the kitchen? A splitter?

• Advertisement

Quick question folks. For some reason I thought I still had a satellite cable running into my kitchen when I had a multi room sky subscription. Turns out It was removed removed and all there is now is the Arial Cable.

This is the very messy picture of the back of my box. What sort of connection do I get so that I can feed a satellite cable of this box to a walker combo box in the kitchen? A splitter?

Does the aerial cable in the kitchen come from the back of the Sky box in the sitting room? If so, you will have to remove one sat cable from the Sky box and join it the aerial cable feeding the kitchen, note - if it not possible to split a satellite feed between 2 receivers. A separate independent cable direct to the dish would be the best option.

To join one of the existing satellite cables to the kitchen cable you will require an F-connector on the kitchen cable and an F-joiner to connect the 2 cables.

If you disconnect one sat cable from the Sky box you'll lose the ability to record a channel while watching another on the Sky box.

Does the aerial cable in the kitchen come from the back of the Sky box in the sitting room? If so, you will have to remove one sat cable from the Sky box and join it the aerial cable feeding the kitchen, note - if it not possible to split a satellite feed between 2 receivers. A separate independent cable direct to the dish would be the best option.

To join one of the existing satellite cables to the kitchen cable you will require an F-connector on the kitchen cable and an F-joiner to connect the 2 cables.

If you disconnect one sat cable from the Sky box you'll lose the ability to record a channel while watching another on the Sky box.

Hi Cush, yes it does. I think I might go for option one. As where the TV is located in the Kitchen the Satellite is on the external wall beside it. So is it straight forward to run the cable from the Satellite to the box as in with the Satellite have the option to connect it?

The rest of the family will want the recording option on the Sky Box.

I think I might go for option one. As where the TV is located in the Kitchen the Satellite is on the external wall beside it. So is it straight forward to run the cable from the Satellite to the box as in with the Satellite have the option to connect it?

Yes it would be straight forward to run the cable, be careful not to have sharp bends in the cable, nice curvy bends.

Check that the LNB on the satellite dish arm has a spare output, I assume it is a quad (4 output) LNB? Get a couple of F-connectors, there is a video on the F-connector page I linked to above showing you how to make the connection on the cable. Ensure the centre core wire doesn't touch the outer metal braid and cause a short in the cable. Also ensure the power is off when connecting the cable to dish and receiver.

Yes it would be straight forward to run the cable, be careful not to have sharp bends in the cable, nice curvy bends.

Check that the LNB on the satellite dish arm has a spare output, I assume it is a quad (4 output) LNB? Get a couple of F-connectors, there is a video on the F-connector page I linked to above showing you how to make the connection on the cable. Ensure the centre core wire doesn't touch the outer metal braid and cause a short in the cable. Also ensure the power is off when connecting the cable to dish and receiver.

I am hoping it is! Ill check tomorrow. That website is excellent and the fellas youtube videos are great as well. I am slowly learning! So plan

1. Run Satellite Cable from the dish straight to Walker Box.
    2. If its not a a 4 Output LNB, I'll have to swap it out (assume that is straight forward?

cheers

I am hoping it is! Ill check tomorrow. That website is excellent and the fellas youtube videos are great as well. I am slowly learning! So plan

1. Run Satellite Cable from the dish straight to Walker Box.
    2. If its not a a 4 Output LNB, I'll have to swap it out (assume that is straight forward?

I assume it's a standard oval Sky dish, if so, they have been fitting quad LNBs as standard for many years.

I assume it's a standard oval Sky dish, if so, they have been fitting quad LNBs as standard for many years.

Brilliant, I hope by the weekend to have all this up and running and have that Walker box (my box!) working 100%. This has been a great learning curve.

Advertisement