Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR issue in Pharmacy

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Is your name really priviledge information? This all sounds like a small town thing where everyone knows everyone, and their girlfriends and in-laws.

Nasty, but that's what also is going in small towns. If facebook wasn't invented it would be gossiped anyway.

Small towns are awful in many ways.

It is not right how people use facebook for mean ness, and am sorry for the OP. Is this happening in a place where everyone lives like in a box of hamsters?

It doesn't matter where the pharmacy is. No-one has the right to out your personal information for all and sundry. Regardless of whether it's a GDPR compliance issue or not, it's just rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

With regards GDPR, it is about systematic collection of data and minimising the amount that can be held/minimisation.
    This was a disagreement between two individuals, it is 100 percent not a GDPR issue. Hypothetically, if I as the pharmacist had acted as the shop attendant did, the OP would be right to lodge a complaint with my regulator but not the data protection commissioner.

You don’t seem to comprehend that this was more than just a disagreement between two individuals, it was a discussion between a pharmacy employee and patient about chemotherapy medication which descended into a disagreement . The employee then allegedly passed the name (data) onto a third party along with some details of the disagreement.

Considering how much information healthcare providers have been given about this subject, what data is, what data controllers and processors are defined as and how careful we have to be with that info, and of course how we are also responsible for our staff who handle that data, against the opinion of both an expert on the subject, and indeed the opinion of the DP commissioner him/herself, you are 100% sure they are wrong and you are right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dav010 wrote: »
    You don’t seem to comprehend that this was more than just a disagreement between two individuals, it was a discussion between a pharmacy employee and patient about chemotherapy medication which descended into a disagreement .
    Where did this information come from?

Op simply said that she went in and the staff member had an attitude problem so she left.

Can't find anywhere that the op has said a medical issue was discussed unless you are connected with the op and know more than what is on this thread.

I'm now thinking that there may be another side to the story as the op seems to have a awful lot of issues with service providers and shops when you look at their other threads.

I wonder what the other side of the story is and whether the op went in with an attitude and got a relevant reply.

My wife manages a retail outlet and the stories she has about attitude of a small number customers are unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Darc19 wrote: »

Op simply said that she went in and the staff member had an attitude problem so she left.

Can't find anywhere that the op has said a medical issue was discussed unless you are connected with the op and know more than what is on this thread.

I'm now thinking that there may be another side to the story as the op seems to have a awful lot of issues with service providers and shops when you look at their other threads.

I wonder what the other side of the story is and whether the op went in with an attitude and got a relevant reply.

My wife manages a retail outlet and the stories she has about attitude of a small number customers are unbelievable

It was mentioned.

I've worked in retail, customers can be a pain, I've had complaints made about me....the one thing I've never done is posted on Facebook!!!!

There will always be a he said she said situation but if someone takes to a public platform to air their grievance you've just lost yourself alot of sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have a problem with bad service. No matter where it is, there’s no need for it. I am in the service industry myself, and you can’t be rude to people.

I didn’t discuss anything medical with her, she was rude and I excused myself and left. There was no drama.

Edit; I mentioned the medication I was on because they deal with it all so know my history rather than going to another chemist. If it was for a box of panadol I wouldn’t have been as particular. The initial query was in regards to a more complex issue, and that’s why I spoke to pharmacist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

/quote]

I am not looking for compensation, I use a chemotherapy drug for a long term illness and that is the chemist that deals with me, I am immunocompromised and under the care of a consultant, and went in initially in relation to my condition

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've worked in retail, customers can be a pain, I've had complaints made about me....the one thing I've never done is posted on Facebook!!!!

There will always be a he said she said situation but if someone takes to a public platform to air their grievance you've just lost yourself alot of sympathy.

It was not the retail employee who posted the message, it was their in-law.

And that is where things get tricky: there's no way to prove that the post was made at the behest, or even with the knowledge of, the retail employee. It could equally well be that someone else has observed the OP's behaviour and told the sister in law about it, and the sister-in-law has taken matters into her own hands. And if I was the retail employee, that's what I would be saying had happened.

Pharmacies get more than their share of bad customer behaviour, with drug seekers and the like. I'll guarantee that the whole interaction is on camera, and the owner will be viewing that objectively, as well as expressing sympathy to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It was not the retail employee who posted the message, it was their in-law.

And that is where things get tricky: there's no way to prove that the post was made at the behest, or even with the knowledge of, the retail employee. It could equally well be that someone else has observed the OP's behaviour and told the sister in law about it, and the sister-in-law has taken matters into her own hands. And if I was the retail employee, that's what I would be saying had happened.

Pharmacies get more than their share of bad customer behaviour, with drug seekers and the like. I'll guarantee that the whole interaction is on camera, and the owner will be viewing that objectively, as well as expressing sympathy to the OP.

I appreciate that, but how did the in law get the information?
    Plus if my in law posted something like that, I'd be telling them to take it down quick smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

/quote]

I am not looking for compensation, I use a chemotherapy drug for a long term illness and that is the chemist that deals with me, I am immunocompromised and under the care of a consultant, and went in initially in relation to my condition

Op stated that she did not have any conversation with the assistant.

That she was there for something specific which she did not mention or converse to the assistant with makes is of no consequence as it was not mentioned.

For all the assistant knew, the OP could have been there for a pack of paracetamol.

Have a look at the ops other threads, I'm now of the opinion that there is more to the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OP said that there was no one else present, just her and the pharmacy employee in question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shocking carry on OP. All those people who don't think is a gdpr issue need a refresher course. Let us know what happens. If that person doesn't get the sack, I'd be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have a look at the ops other threads...

21000+ posts? Are you serious? I'm sure many of us have had service issues over the years. It doesn't negate the next iteration of poor service or breaches in policy we encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Op stated that she did not have any conversation with the assistant.

That she was there for something specific which she did not mention or converse to the assistant with makes is of no consequence as it was not mentioned.

For all the assistant knew, the OP could have been there for a pack of paracetamol.

Have a look at the ops other threads, I'm now of the opinion that there is more to the story.
    I’ve been as open as I can without showing screenshots.

Was Friends with B. Stopped being friends although there was no falling out, remained friends on Facebook, wished her a happy bday, wished her child a happy birthday, but we just weren’t friendly which is fine.

Found A a little bit on the abrupt side over the years but didn’t pass any heed to her really, just put it down to her manner. Went in on Monday (took a day off work so I could go back to that town for appointments), A walked out, I greeted her with a “hi” and she responded, and was quite rude. I said I’d leave it actually, and just turned round and left.

Called the chemist, pharmacist called back. I relayed exactly what I said above. She said she was sorry I felt she was rude and said she would speak to A. That was it as far as I was concerned.

On Thursday I tagged my partner in something on Facebook and B posted a horrible status sneering at my relationship but I ignored it. On Friday I opened Facebook and she had “Please find another chemist to torment”. I text on Friday night to ask her if she had something to say, and she responded asking to leave her in laws in peace. I didn’t respond, just blocked her.

My problem isn’t with B. My problem is with A carrying stories from a professional position outside of that setting, and identifying me.

I fully accept A not liking me and that isn’t a problem. I would have no issue with A declining to approach me to serve me, i wouldn’t have an issue with that at all.

I don’t know A outside of chemist. I have never socialized with her, were not the same age, she isn’t from the same town, I know nothing about her really, she was just the girl from the chemist. I don’t appreciate her carrying my business out to be used on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This thread has run its course, the quality standard of posting is abysmal. If the OP wishes it to be reopened when they have received further info from the pharmacy they can PM me or another mod then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement