Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

YFlyer wrote: »
    What about quantum field at the fountain level of all the laws of nature? Brahman
    About 1.618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Unshaken, without proof?
    Sounds like shakey ground.

What about simple probability, or odds for the 'likely possibility' that there is lifeforms somewhere in the Universe, that may be considered 'god-like' (compared to humanity).

Highly likely there is other lifeforms out in the universe.Purely on numbers alone it's very likely.

I don't think we will ever meet them though due to the enormous times and distances involved.
    Not to mention that we will probably extinct ourselves before we even try.

Why would you consider advanced lifeforms to be godlike..its like saying we need a master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Now you are being facetious sir whilst I am reality. I know God exists just as I know Satan exists. It is so obvious. This is why it is so important that we separate good and evil. When people ask, does there have to be a right and a wrong? I always reply with an emphatic YES!

If you do a body count of all the people killed in the bible, and why they were killed, you could only come to the conclusion that God is an unhinged psycho with extreme genocidal tendencies, but who had a top notch PR crew that were so good they were able to pin the atrocities on Satan, who practically does nothing other than get cast out of heaven for questioning the psycho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LuasSimon wrote: »
    There’s 1500 living in the parish with circa 5/600 in total attending the 3 masses each Saturday night - Sunday morning . There is no doubt intentions and all that is unproven to put it mildly but rightly or wrongly it gives people hope . Attending mass for a share is also down to tradition , meeting neighbours even and definitely makes people part of a community . People could be doing a lot worse .

Maybe it's an urban /rural thing, but you don't see anything like those kind of numbers in Dublin.

Re the 'intentions', it's not that they are unproven, it is the complete absence of logic. What kind of God would cause or allow someone to get cancer, and then possibly decide to cure them if people beg enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

About 1.618

Yes there is order and structure in the cosmos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's as much a part of the human condition to hope against hope for life after "the end" as it is to, say, participate in or watch sport. Virtually every society has believed in some sort of deity or afterlife, after all.

That's why I despise the obese, sneering internet atheists you will find on websites like this. The kind who giggle into their braided goatees about space teapots or flying spaghetti monsters. Their claims to be operating on a higher intellectual plain instead of jogging or believing in the supernatural rings a little hollow to myself when you see them indulging in their basest urges: sitting and eating processed food until they pass out. The kind with exotic colours and cartoon characters on the packaging.

I do respect that many people are desperate for comfort as they come close to death but ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.
    Can you show us on the doll where the atheist touched you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

stratowide wrote: »
    Highly likely there is other lifeforms out in the universe.Purely on numbers alone it's very likely.
    Extremely, about 60bn : 1 against.
    I don't think we will ever meet them though due to the enormous times and distances involved. Not to mention that we will probably extinct ourselves before we even try.
    That's purely based on (our) very limited understanding or evolving laws. We've only taken to the skies in the last 100yrs or so, to the moon in the last 50, by 2030-35 man will likely land upon Mars.

Now factor that with another 1,000yrs and chances might be that we'll be wormholing over to RA 3h 47m 24s | Dec +24° 7′ 0″ and hanging out with the Pleiadeans.
    Why would you consider advanced lifeforms to be godlike..its like saying we need a master.
    Why wouldn't anyone consider an advanced lifeforms not to be godlike? Performing endless miracles (compared to humans) and a wealth of knowledge Einstien/Telsa would chop off their limbs to even get a quick glance at.

I am master my dog, without me it would cease to exist at it's current enhanced quality and duration of life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I do believe in god but wouldn’t be devoutly religious. I believe in those tenants of religion that talk about treating everyone with empathy and loving thy neighbor and learning forgiveness. I don’t believe in the darker elements like the idea that homosexuality is wrong or that being a single mother is a sin. Nor do I condone the horrible crimes committed by the church.

I have struggled with my beliefs for a long time and tried to make myself not believe because I felt like I was in some way hurting the victims of the church but ultimately I cane to the conclusion that I do believe in god/ a higher power, I do believe in life after death and I do believe in the good teachings of the church.

I could care less what you do or don’t believe but I do take issue with anyone who thinks themselves above me because of their beliefs or thinks there’s something sinister or wrong about me for I believe.

I also can’t abide anyone trying to force their beliefs on anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Or a fourth category: Is there life in the (rather large) Universe, outside of Earth?

A. (Chances are there is).

Much of it may well be considered highly evolved, supremely inteligent, almost 'god-like' in comparision to our primitive planet's inhabitants.

They may have sent an 'agent' to the sand lands years ago (the Manhattan of the day), but decided to hold back a while, before attemping to establish any influence again.

HP Lovecraft was a true prophet so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Which GOD???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There might be something but I don’t know what it is ; Maybe a super computer , or we are in a very sophisticated simulation or something like those .

Anyway , If anyone needs a Messiah ( not very affective ) I am available for a whole lot of Dosh =99% of what you have .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think the question should be "Do you believe God exists". To ask "Do you believe in God" could be interpreted to mean do you believe in the goodness/superiority of a God that does exist. So answering "No I don't believe in God" could be interpreted as "yes I think there is a God but I don't believe in God, I despise him and his nonsense".

I don't reject God, there is no God to reject afaic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Talk to mmm evryday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It's been said before but I'll say it again.
    You do not know that god exists. You cannot know that god exists.
    You believe it that existence. You may well think that you know but you are deluded in this matter.

I have complete belief that there is no god. I'm am unshaken in this belief. Still, I won't go around saying that I know this to be a fact because it would make me seem lika a bit of a twat.

I would never think you a twat! God, whom I know exists, said judge not lest you be judged. Also, it is generally accepted even by the infidels, that Christ lived and as we all know, Jesus is God just as the middle leaf forms part of the shamrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Talk to mmm evryday

Does she talk back?

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    If you do a body count of all the people killed in the bible, and why they were killed, you could only come to the conclusion that God is an unhinged psycho with extreme genocidal tendencies, but who had a top notch PR crew that were so good they were able to pin the atrocities on Satan, who practically does nothing other than get cast out of heaven for questioning the psycho.

Ah but you forget, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Even today, a lot of people get killed on the pretense of wolves in sheep`s clothing but at the end of the day, God calls us when he wants us, he does not need people to kill for him. Do you think you would live forever in this life? Sooner or later, you must die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Ah but you forget, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Even today, a lot of people get killed on the pretense of wolves in sheep`s clothing but at the end of the day, God calls us when he wants us, he does not need people to kill for him. Do you think you would live forever in this life? Sooner or later, you must die.

He may not need people to kill for him but that never stopped him, Joshua was a regular party pooper. When it came to killing on God's behalf the instructions were never to take half measures, men, women, children, animals, crops, everything. Now and then if there were any presentable women around, mass rape and abduction were a bonus for a job well done. A real nice guy.

Does God believe in me ? Does God believe I am God ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

at the end of the day, God calls us when he wants us

Your God, if he existed, would be kind of a dick.

Your God, if he existed, would be kind of a dick.
    If an omnipotent God existed and let all the bad stuff happen that happens he would not be a good guy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nobody believes in God. If they did believe there was a all knowing being that would judge us at the end for our sins then they would be much better people.
    Plenty believe in God but doesn't necessarily act like it as you suggest.
    But many believe in climate change and still don't live full sustainable lives.
    Many know sugar / fatty foods are bad but still eat way too much of them etc...
    We tend to live for short term gains.
    Feck the long run.
    That's why the church is full of old or sick people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I do not believe any god as portrayed by any known religion, exists.

BUT if I'm wrong, and the christians are right, then according to the bible, god is the greatest mass murderer in history. He stood idly by while 6 million jews died in the holocaust despite previously freeing them from Egypt and he stood idly by while the catholic church raped and abused children. So either all of that is true, or there is no god.

I go with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Just reading through this thread. Such negativity. Makes me glad that yes I do believe in God. Thank God.

Just reading through this thread. Such negativity. Makes me glad that yes I do believe in God. Thank God.

In a poll which is almost 3:1 against belief in God, you hardly expected positivity.
    That's taking faith to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I don't believe in God at all.

What terrifies me though is that I don't believe in an afterlife. I don't know how I'll cope in life when people close to me die, because I don't have the comfort of believing that I'll ever see them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

voldejoie wrote: »
    What terrifies me though is that I don't believe in an afterlife. I don't know how I'll cope in life when people close to me die, because I don't have the comfort of believing that I'll ever see them again.

In fairness, very few people seem to be comforted by this stuff initially. You see shock, grief, despair unless the loss comes after a long illness and people are already used to the idea. Very seldom see "Sure, it's grand, I'll see them in a few years" directly after a loss.

People who say they are comforted by the thought their loved ones are in Heaven or whatever are usually saying it quite a while afterwards, when the shock and grief have worn off anyhow.

That's one of the reasons that I do believe in God.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Nor do I but it has never stopped me coping. It is amazing what we can cope with when we are actually called to do so. It is the thinking about having to cope with things before they happen that tends to be harder than the thing itself. The worst part of a dentist visit for example very often tends to be the week leading up to the appointment, not the appointment itself.

But one of the ways I cope with the loss of loved ones is merely to be grateful that they existed at all. For every person who existed and lived a life, countless billions did not get that chance. So rather dwell on their loss, I remain mindful of the wonder of their having existed at all and cherish the time I had spent with them and the memories it gave me.

Further gold is precious because it is rare. If you flooded the market with endless gold tomorrow, it's value would waste to nothing. Similarly the lives of our loved ones are made precious by their transience. The concept of an after life, especially an eternal ones, cheapens the value of their life in the same way as infinite gold.

That is why the Christian fairy tale has always been pathetic to me. The claim was that some god "gave" us his son and this son "sacrificed" himself for us. Then we are however told that said son is sitting at the right hand of his father in a state of eternal bliss and dominion???? It seems "gave" was more "infinitesimally lent" while "sacrifice" was more a "trading up".

A legend where the son was OFFERED eternal bliss and dominion but instead opted for the true death, much to the anguish of his father.... now that would be a legend worth telling rather than the pathetic insult to parents who actually have lost a child to a person, place or ideal that we are usually pedalled.

Sure ya might . You don’t know one way or the other . Sure there is mad stuff in quantum mechanics . Who knows ?

Well, according to the RCC if you are a Muslim or a Buddist or worst of all a Protestant, you're not going there anyway. Even their own flock were not guaranteed for hundreds of years, unless of course, they had money.
    It would seem, according to the boys in Rome, that there'll be plenty of room

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    He may not need people to kill for him but that never stopped him, Joshua was a regular party pooper. When it came to killing on God's behalf the instructions were never to take half measures, men, women, children, animals, crops, everything. Now and then if there were any presentable women around, mass rape and abduction were a bonus for a job well done. A real nice guy.

Wasn`t that during the arch of the covenant? The Israelites were invincible then but only as long as they did the will of God. The enemies of Israel quite possibly needed to be humbled in order to become righteous and defeat is one way of humbling a nation. Besides, being killed or raped only causes temporary discomfort as these things take longer than an instant, I`ve no doubt the fallen had their chance to repent and those who did may well have been spared hell fire for all eternity. So you see, God is good.

Wasn`t that during the arch of the covenant? The Israelites were invincible then but only as long as they did the will of God. The enemies of Israel quite possibly needed to be humbled in order to become righteous and defeat is one way of humbling a nation. Besides, being killed or raped only causes temporary discomfort as these things take longer than an instant, I`ve no doubt the fallen had their chance to repent and those who did may well have been spared hell fire for all eternity. So you see, God is good.

My eyebrow is arched reading this guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

My eyebrow is arched reading this guff.

Unibrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Of course not, it's 2019. No one should be believing in that nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

No, but I respect others beliefs and don't feel the need to put a label on myself either

Would you respect someone's beliefs if they believed Superman was real?

How do you equate that to a loving God? If your children and your extended family upset or offended you would you consider this fit punishment?
    Remember Jesus tells us to love our enemies and turn the other cheek and we're supposed to believe that Jesus and the guy ordering all this mayhem are one and the same.

Have you considered the possibility that you're kidding yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

:D

dead

N

No. Have you?

• Advertisement

During Orgasms ..Oh Yeah !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Kiss the ring.

N
    No. Have you?
    How can you kid yourself about something that doesn't exist, except in other people's imagination?

I was at a couple of Christian funerals recently, and it struck me that this holding out hope of a reunion with dead people is the ultimate deception, and so tempting for bereaved family members. It's really exploiting people at their time of most need - fairly despicable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

By God do we mean man in the sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    By God do we mean man in the sky?

Poseidon I think. Oh no, what am I saying, those silly Greeks and their made up gods, everyone knows OUR god is real and the rest of them are made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Poseidon I think. Oh no, what am I saying, those silly Greeks and their made up gods, everyone knows OUR god is real and the rest of them are made up.

Maybe God is in the psyche and we just project it onto external figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No, I don’t. God exists in a world where children get brain tumours? Get to fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

OBD, given your prognosis, do you find any notion of god ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I believe and accept that God exists.

No, I don’t. God exists in a world where children get brain tumours? Get to fuck.
    This God is certainly not good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No, I don’t. God exists in a world where children get brain tumours? Get to ****.

An understandable comment but I do think people's beliefs should be respected, I have seen it to be as positive as negative, me personally, it's not for me, my logical mind simply won't allow it

• Advertisement
Advertisement