Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK is now a hate symbol says ADL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh sure. The "right" never dream of calling anyone names.

They wouldn't think of calling anyone an "SJW", or a "cuck" or "woke", or a "libtard", or "snowflake"...ad nauseam.

:rolleyes:

I said when I debate them.
    I'm sure you would encounter those responses judging on how you've replied to me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The ADL can kiss my shiny wet ass. I am not giving up the OK sign. I use it when diving to signal to my dive partner that I am ok, not that I am some racist American prison gang member.

FanadMan wrote: »
    The ADL can kiss my shiny wet ass. I am not giving up the OK sign.

ADL website:

4 Things You Can Do to Combat Hate
    • Bring ADL to your school/community -(leads to)-> Rely on ADL's expertise.
    • Raise your voice and be heard in congress -->Support all the acts we agree with.
    • Report a hatecrime in your community --> If this is an emergency, please dial 911.
    • Register for never is now 2019 -->Asking people to register for their event.

The first two ways proposed by the ADL to combat hate are worrying to me. These guys have far more influence then they actually should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Zorya wrote: »

No doubt there are plenty of emotionally unstable folk who think this is racism.

They are so literal they can't understand intent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

OMM 0000 wrote: »

No doubt there are plenty of emotionally unstable folk who think this is racism.

Hopefully not. Just two friends having the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

B0jangles wrote: »
    Still doesn't explain that your original text (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111368753&postcount=32) the one you now claim is all your own work is made up of blocks of text copied from conspiracy subforums on 4chan, 8chan and what appears to be an openly and virulently anti-semitic blog.

What's that all about?
    I'm still waiting for you to identify errors of fact. The origins of the ADL, the murder of Mary Phagan and Leo Frank: You said these are conspiracy theories, yet you haven't been able to back up that claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I'm still waiting for you to identify errors of fact. The origins of the ADL, the murder of Mary Phagan and Leo Frank: You said these are conspiracy theories, yet you haven't been able to back up that claim.

Lol, 24 hours later and you still can't post the source you copied your original text from. The one that appears to only appear on extremist far-right or far-right conspiracy sites.

The onus is on you, the person making the claim to back it up, not on me to investigate it for you.

Hopefully not. Just two friends having the craic.

It now says "Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!" Deleted by twitter? what was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This has been brewing for a while for all that missed it, Blizzard banned their gamers from using the OK symbol at their events.

Now the anti-defamation league have officially declared the OK gesture a 'hate symbol'.

OkayLarge267x296.jpg?itok=BAkTglHS

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

In years to come we'll have politicians apologizing for having used the OK gesture in the past. Start deleting your photos guys and start act accordingly, we can't be seen to be racist!

I get all my leftist new thing to give out about off you. Not seen this before. I feel I'm late to the outrage at the outrage party.
    You realise this preemptive outrage will die away soon? People get bored.

By the way, are you an antisemitic? I mean this is a Jewish movement. Or is it only antisemitism if you criticise Israel?

You're the only one outraged here, even the article says:
    Because of the traditional meaning of the “okay” hand gesture, as well as other usages unrelated to white supremacy, particular care must be taken not to jump to conclusions about the intent behind someone who has used the gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Well, sure, if the baby boomers in the ADL say the ok symbol is hateful I guess it must be true.

I get all my leftist new thing to give out about off you. Not seen this before. I feel I'm late to the outrage at the outrage party.
    You realise this preemptive outrage will die away soon? People get bored.

By the way, are you an antisemitic? I mean this is a Jewish movement. Or is it only antisemitism if you criticise Israel?

You're the only one outraged here, even the article says:

I was laughing at the hilarity of it, and even made a joke in the OP. You seem to be hysterical to the point of being deluded. Maybe take a walk outside..

I was laughing at the hilarity of it, and even made a joke in the OP. You seem to be hysterical to the point of being deluded. Maybe take a walk outside..

No you were trying to stir. You must be trolling the matrix all day to find this guff.
    In years to come we'll have politicians apologizing for having used the OK gesture in the past. Start deleting your photos guys and start act accordingly, we can't be seen to be racist!

The subtext is you are on a mission to dismiss or belittle anyone speaking out on issues you disagree with.

No you were trying to stir. You must be trolling the matrix all day to find this guff.

Says the person who just called me anti-semitic because I posted the ADL banned the OK symbol as hate speech. You're just showing yourself up here

Says the person who just called me anti-semitic because I posted the ADL banned the OK symbol as hate speech. You're just showing yourself up here

Lies.
    I asked if you were.
    Pointing out that the ADL is a pro-Israeli organisation. And right wing folk tend to side with Israeli policy.
    It's ironic to use a relatively innocuous article from a right wing organisation to take the piss out of the left. We've come full circle I guess.

I get all my leftist new thing to give out about off you. :

Could you post up the snapchat conversations you've been having about me?

Lies.
    I asked if you were.
    Pointing out that the ADL is a pro-Israeli organisation. And right wing folk tend to side with Israeli policy.

No i'm not anti-semitic.

Fine, here are some questions for you.

Are you a nazi because you're accusing me of being anti-semitic?
    Are you an idiot because you can't comprehend the original post?
    Are you a liar because you lied about calling me a **** stirer?, when in actual fact I was posting some real recent information.
    Are you the type of far-left woke activist that everyone is pissed off with, not just in this forum but around the world?

No i'm not anti-semitic.

Fine, here are some questions for you.

Are you a nazi because you're accusing me of being anti-semitic?
    Are you a liar because you lied about calling me a **** stirer?, when in actual fact I was posting some real recent information.
    Are you the type of far-left woke activist that everyone is pissed off with, not just in this forum but around the world?

Thanks. You lied. Cleared that up ;)

Thanks. You lied. Cleared that up ;)

Cleared what up? That you are unreasonable and think in over-simplistic terms?

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/955141582310719488?lang=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Next we'll be told we're not allowed to call brown trout, brown trout because it'll be considered a hate crime....

There's seriously something fishy going on out there, people will be shut up to a point you'll be all going around like goon's...

Well anyone who's seriously offended can go..... and you're a right.....
    absolute ............
    and all belong to you are.....

or do you prefer sign language effing numpties

• Advertisement

Cleared what up? That you are unreasonable and think in over-simplistic terms?

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/955141582310719488?lang=en

You said I called you antisemetic. I didn't, you lied.

nthclare wrote: »
    Next we'll be told we're not allowed to call brown trout, brown trout because it'll be considered a hate crime....

There's seriously something fishy going on out there, people will be shut up to a point you'll be all going around like goon's...

Well anyone who's seriously offended can go..... and you're a right.....
    absolute ............
    and all belong to you are.....

or do you prefer sign language effing numpties

I don't think anyone is arsed except those looking to give out about it.

You said I called you antisemetic. I didn't, you lied.
    I don't think

Thanks you clearing that up.

Thanks you clearing that up.

So editing peoples comments is very clever debate now? I can see where your 'ideas' are coming from :)
    By the way, are you an antisemitic? I mean this is a Jewish movement. Or is it only antisemitism if you criticise Israel?...

You lied. I pointed it out, relax.

Also FYI: They didn't ban it they merely stated some racist groups use it. The even said not to jump to conclusions if you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

OMM 0000 wrote: »

They don't care about intent, passing judgement on those they view as sinners and heretics is the thing.

They are the new church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

giphy.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Danzy wrote: »
    They don't care about intent, passing judgement on those they view as sinners and heretics is the thing.

They are the new church.

I honestly find that with the right these days. If you even take Boards as an example look at all the outrage threads about the supposed outrage from liberals/the left.
    I see more complaining threads like this one than any actual lefty/liberal threads of folk 'triggered'.
    Anyone calling out racism, white supremacy and looking for equality are the new sinners and heretics. The new enemy. It's a concern how many buy into it.
    MAGA really sums it up. The minorities and poor have had it too much their own way for too long? What incredible nonsense.

Anyone calling out racism, white supremacy and looking for equality are the new sinners and heretics. The new enemy.

Definition: Woke(adjective)
    Alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

They are not the new enemy however, these kinds of people can be found in history in events like the Salem Witch Trials.

Definition: Woke(adjective)
    Alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

They are not the new enemy however, these kinds of people can be found in history in events like the Salem Witch Trials.

Agreed, the conservatives go back a long way.
    You know some of them can trace their family back to the May Flower?

• Advertisement

Agreed, the conservatives go back a long way.
    You know some of them can trace their family back to the May Flower?

We're talking about people who make wild accusations of others. Just like you did with your first post in this thread. Trying to shoe-horn in right-wing and conservatives is just deflecting and whataboutism.

Advertisement