Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK is now a hate symbol says ADL

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We're talking about people who make wild accusations of others. Just like you did with your first post in this thread. Trying to shoe-horn in right-wing and conservatives is just deflecting and whataboutism.

Who's we? You got a mouse in your pocket?
    The ADL are right wing conservatives. You didn't know this?

The witch trials are what the Rep. GOP today is about. It's about singling out minorities and people who don't agree with you and making them out to be pariahs on society and how things will be better when they are dealt with. It's the perfect analogy, thanks for bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Who's we? You got a mouse in your pocket?
    The ADL are right wing conservatives. You didn't know this?
    Do try to keep up. The people that have been talking in this thread are the we that I referenced. But you know that. You really are delusional if you think the ADL are right wing conservatives. Especially after you inferred me to be anti-semitic by mocking them. Are you seriously that devoid of integrity?
    The witch trials are what the Rep. GOP today is about. It's about singling out minorities and people who don't agree with you and making them out to be pariahs on society and how things will be better when they are dealt with. It's the perfect analogy, thanks for bringing it up.
    There you go trying to shoe horn conservatives and right-wing into everything. The shoe horn is about 10x bigger than the shoe in this case.

Do try to keep up. The people that have been talking in this thread are the we that I referenced. But you know that. You really are delusional if you think the ADL are right wing conservatives. Especially after you inferred me to be anti-semitic by mocking them. Are you seriously that devoid of integrity?

Comrade, when you started this thread, you started it as a dig at another woke lefty hair brained scheme. Well this is a pro Israel group. So keeping on the theme of putting people in boxes because they don't agree with you on something, I asked where you anti semetic? Because of the Israeli connection, hearkening back to the pro Israeli lobby spin that if you don't like Israeli policy you are antisemitic.
    In short you're a right wing conservative spin merchant who accidentally made fun of a group likely with the ear of Trump and the gang, (not to be confused with Kool and the gang). I found it humorous.

There you go trying to shoe horn conservatives and right-wing into everything. The shoe horn is about 10x bigger than the shoe in this case.

Brother, you brought up the witch trials as an analogy. I clarified it for you.

In short you're a right wing conservative spin merchant who accidentally made fun of a group likely with the ear of Trump and the gang, (not to be confused with Kool and the gang). I found it humorous.

You're either delusional or blatantly lying; which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Well in other developments, the peach emoji is now a symbol of the resistance (which I still cringe when I hear).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/how-the-sexy-peach-emoji-joined-the-resistance/2019/09/30/4b0d292e-e142-11e9-be96-6adb81821e90_story.html

• Advertisement

Banned symbols just get replaced by new ones. Just look at how Nazi paraphernalia was banned in Germany and how right wing groups started using other symbols instead.

Banning them also doesn't give someone the opportunity to 'reclaim' them. Just look at how the gay people of the 90's were called words said with hate, but they started to own the words and remove the hate from them. To keep them 'banned' forever adds this hate stigma to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

My brain hurts. I need to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

I honestly find that with the right these days. If you even take Boards as an example look at all the outrage threads about the supposed outrage from liberals/the left.
    I see more complaining threads like this one than any actual lefty/liberal threads of folk 'triggered'.
    Anyone calling out racism, white supremacy and looking for equality are the new sinners and heretics. The new enemy. It's a concern how many buy into it.
    MAGA really sums it up. The minorities and poor have had it too much their own way for too long? What incredible nonsense.

Look at this thread. Pages upon pages of outrage at supposed outrage from the left that doesn't exist.

A website publishes a list of symbols that far right hate groups have used, and there's total outrage at the existence of this list and "what'll they ban next?" type nonsense even though nothing has been banned or censored and nobody has gotten outraged by the existence of the ok symbol or the number 100 or whatever.

It's as if the slang we made up in school is becoming a global standard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

quokula wrote: »
    Look at this thread. Pages upon pages of outrage at supposed outrage from the left that doesn't exist.

A website publishes a list of symbols that far right hate groups have used, and there's total outrage at the existence of this list and "what'll they ban next?" type nonsense even though nothing has been banned or censored and nobody has gotten outraged by the existence of the ok symbol or the number 100 or whatever.

This kind of hair pulling always goes on when these type of clickbait articles pop up. No one is going to really give a toss in the end, though, and it only serves as an outrage signifier for certain quarters. Plus, this is another example, YET AGAIN, of an American non-issue being portrayed as an important one for the global stage to worry about, when it's nothing to the sort.

The real problem here is that the ADL, a private for profit organisation, tries to have a real say in political concerns and they often get their way too.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    This kind of hair pulling always goes on when these type of clickbait articles pop up. No one is going to really give a toss in the end, though, and it only serves as an outrage signifier for certain quarters. Plus, this is another example, YET AGAIN, of an American non-issue being portrayed as an important one for the global stage to worry about, when it's nothing to the sort.

The real problem here is that the ADL, a private for profit organisation, tries to have a real say in political concerns and they often get their way too.

Agree with the part in bold.

I did definitely express my OP as more of a joke than anything else... The outrage came in post #2, thanked by 14 people.

It's more the idea behind banning things, symbols, speech anything that causes offence that's getting to me. It used to be that we had to prove the person's intended malice, but how we just need to prove how much offence was taken.

Closer to home in Scotland Mark Meechan's judge ruled that context was irrelevant in the joke he told.

Chelsea Russell was found guilty of causing offence by putting rap lyrics up in tribute of her dead friend.

This is only the beginning and growing.

"****ing grow up, you stupid authoritarian, humourless, tyrannical cnts!"-Jonathan Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It was a joke you cvnts!

Jokes only work when there is obvious humour involved, such as Tom Walker's Jonathan Pie character.

It's funny because the satirical joke is apparent.

Jokes only work when there is obvious humour involved, such as Tom Walker's Jonathan Pie character.

It's funny because the satirical joke is apparent.

There were thousands of comments in the youtube channel "m8 yer dugs a nazii like the innane 'lol'. clearly millions of people interpreted it as a joke.
    He even clearly stipulates not only that its a joke, but also the context of the joke at the beginning of the video.

Humour and offence are both subjective. Who gets to decide? Consensus?

Agree with the part in bold.

I did definitely express my OP as more of a joke than anything else... The outrage came in post #2, thanked by 14 people.

It's more the idea behind banning things, symbols, speech anything that causes offence that's getting to me. It used to be that we had to prove the person's intended malice, but how we just need to prove how much offence was taken.

Closer to home in Scotland Mark Meechan's judge ruled that context was irrelevant in the joke he told.

Chelsea Russell was found guilty of causing offence by putting rap lyrics up in tribute of her dead friend.

This is only the beginning and growing.

This is my problem. It's been going on forever. It's just now the status quo have to check themselves too that it's seen as a 'new' problem.

The article in the OP states that people shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding usage of the gesture yet you ran with, (supposedly a joke now) a chicken little faux outrage at the (non) outrage thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    What will the Scuba Divers do now?

You think you're funny but I detect a sinister undercurrent in your post you really are sinking to new depths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

But in this case the ADL didn't do anything - they literally did nothing more than post an article about how some hate groups have used the OK symbol, beginning on 4chan. They were very specific about how this doesn't mean that this symbol should now be censored or banned, or that anyone should jump to conclusions about it.

There is literally no story here at all, and people are getting outraged about it. I don't understand the kind of mindset that causes the red mist to come down and get worked up at the thought of anyone ever being critical of extremist hate groups, to the extent that they'll ignore all logic and reason and start making up nonsense about things being banned that aren't, and a slippery slope that doesn't exist.

quokula wrote: »
    But in this case the ADL didn't do anything - they literally did nothing more than post an article about how some hate groups have used the OK symbol, beginning on 4chan. They were very specific about how this doesn't mean that this symbol should now be censored or banned, or that anyone should jump to conclusions about it.

There is literally no story here at all, and people are getting outraged about it. I don't understand the kind of mindset that causes the red mist to come down and get worked up at the thought of anyone ever being critical of extremist hate groups, to the extent that they'll ignore all logic and reason and start making up nonsense about things being banned that aren't, and a slippery slope that doesn't exist.

It's the americanised culture war. Sados looking to cite or create liberal outrage so genuine outrage gets lost in the crowd or can be dismissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Maybe the soft minded cretin who suggested this is just terribly **** at the "don't look at the circle" game?

It's the americanised culture war. Sados looking to cite or create liberal outrage so genuine outrage gets lost in the crowd or can be dismissed.

Your opinion that it is to appease sados looking to create liberal outrage culture is just deluded and not based in any evidence. In fact all the evidence points to the contrary.

Can you answer why companies like Blizzard and the ADL label the OK symbol as a hate symbol? This is the crux of the issue. You fail to address it repeatedly and will continue not to as it runs contrary to your woke narrative. The fact that they 'recommend' you take it with a pinch of salt is ridiculous. The nazi symbol is outright banned in Germany. It doesn't matter what intention you have behind using it. That's the way the OK symbol is going with this woke crowd as well as many other things.

The vocal woke minority like to create twitter storms; get people sacked by taking their words out of context and apply malice and hate to gestures where absolutely none is intended.

And yet people like you will come into this thread and complain about people laughing at this ridiculous liberal outrage, only prove how ridiculous your position truly is.
    The article in the OP states that people shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding usage of the gesture yet you ran with
    If you even take Boards as an example look at all the outrage threads about the supposed outrage from liberals/the left.
    Did you hear the one about Trump wanting to shoot immigrants in the leg and his moat with snakes and crocodiles at the boarder? But let's be more concerned and outraged by this rando :)
    you started it as a dig at another woke lefty hair brained scheme. Well this is a pro Israel group. I asked where you anti semetic? Because of the Israeli connection, hearkening back to the pro Israeli lobby spin that if you don't like Israeli policy you are antisemitic.

In short you're a right wing conservative spin merchant
    The witch trials are what the Rep. GOP today is about. It's about singling out minorities and people who don't agree with you and making them out to be pariahs on society and how things will be better when they are dealt with.

Hypocritical?
    Your last comment sounds crazed and paranoid.

Indeed we can agree here! :pac::pac::pac:;):D:D

This is far too easy, you a parody of yourself.

Advertisement