Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window hinges repair: Management company or owner?

Options
  • 28-09-2019 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,
    a hinge on my window is completely bent, hence I can't close the window once opened, unless I force the hinge down with a knife.
    Photos here: [https://]photos.app.goo.gl/zy7HtjtTweQWmvYx7
    I contacted the management company who said it was up to the owner to fix windows, doors, balcony...
    And I got a contractor come down and since the window has to be taken out, probably from the outside, it's up to the management company since it's part of the outside of the building.

Any idea what I should do? Who can I contact?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Baptiste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that when you die you're absolutely gone. If an afterlife does exist, it makes no sense how anyone would actually know what it's like there.

It's normally the owner. Check the management company lease for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Job will be done from the inside, just pay for repair yourself. its a grey area when it comes to doors and window repairs. Pretty sure individual window repairs are not in this years budged. If it was a window in a hall or some other communal area, you could argue that its a h&s issue, but not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Check conditions of the lease: I expect it is the owner's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Hello,
    a hinge on my window is completely bent, hence I can't close the window once opened, unless I force the hinge down with a knife.
    Photos here: [https://]photos.app.goo.gl/zy7HtjtTweQWmvYx7
    I contacted the management company who said it was up to the owner to fix windows, doors, balcony...
    And I got a contractor come down and since the window has to be taken out, probably from the outside, it's up to the management company since it's part of the outside of the building.

Any idea what I should do? Who can I contact?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Baptiste

Any decent landlord will fix the issue for you as soon as possible. You don't need to do it from the outside. Windows can be taken off from the inside.

We had to get a few hinges replaced on windows last year in the apartment we rent. We rang the owner and told her the issue with them. She had a guy come next week to have a look and the next day he changed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Any decent landlord will fix the issue for you as soon as possible. You don't need to do it from the outside. Windows can be taken off from the inside.

We had to get a few hinges replaced on windows last year in the apartment we rent. We rang the owner and told her the issue with them. She had a guy come next week to have a look and the next day he changed them.

I think the OP is the owner, not a tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Of course it's the responsibility of the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

You need to check the terms of the leasehold but typically thats the owners responsibility.

Advertisement