Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Show EVER - Boardsies Decide: Tournament Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

tusk wrote: »
    Just post them all together then. We can get on with the mourning process earlier

I second this motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

tusk wrote: »
    Just post them all together then. We can get on with the mourning process earlier

Actually I disagree, if you post all remaining match ups, there will be more strategical voting, rather than the best between the two current.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Actually I disagree, if you post all remaining match ups, there will be more strategical voting, rather than the best between the two current.

Fair point. I'm too naive for politicking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That's still first past the post just with a time limit?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not happening.

One match at a time. Easier for me to count, and as Krom says it will remove an element of strategic voting.

Vote for your favourite, not what it may or may not face folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixxxer wrote: »
    That's still first past the post just with a time limit?

Would you prefer I did PR in a two horse race?

It's not because there isn't a post.

It could be 2 - 1 (doubtful)

Or 20-19

Or some other combination.

If they are tied.... well... we'll deal with that if it happens.

No bosco was the real shocker

Ok,

CKyA2sd.gif?noredirect

Match 1 and this is going to break some of your fragile little hearts into millions of pieces. And I personally love it. There are no easy matches at this stage, but this one could get bitter, violent and very personal (although let's keep it country folks)

Ireland VS the US

Priests VS Police

Ted VS Mc Nulty
    Jack VS Stringer Bell
    Dougal VS Omar
    Mrs Doyle VS Lieutenant Daniels

LET'S GET IT ON

Father Ted

MV5BYTg3NTczOTUtZjMyNC00OWNiLThiOGQtMzJlMzEzNmIxOWI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

VS

The Wire

712kFUpnVIL._SX425_.jpg

This match is time-limited to one hour from the time it has been posted. The show with the most votes will advance to the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Necro wrote: »
    If they are tied.... well... we'll deal with that if it happens.

I've done a few tournaments myself. You can re-open the vote to sudden death over time. Always found that the best. The scramble to get the vote in is good fun. Other ways to do it are via anonymous poll, PMs or you yourself cast a deciding vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I love Father Ted and it's one of the great comedies ever, however the Wire is one of the greatest TV Shows Ever.

The Wire - Great cast, some gripping story lines, Omar was a fantastic character and it should progress.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Father Ted, still laugh out loud funny, aged so well, its a classic and a keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

The wire please.

Reasons previously stated. Plus Ted is good. But in no way should it be in this far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

As much as I love Father Ted I have to vote for The Wire.

The story kept evolving from different perspectives and I even liked the different style applied to the theme tune each series. TV doesn't get better than this!

Thanks Omack, I was thinking of re-opening alright for maybe 15 mins if needed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah here. Fix. Love Father Ted, but The Wire is still the better TV show. Again, it's the Sobotka! It's possibly the only thing that Aiden Gillan is bearable in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Fr Ted - It's comedy gold.

giphy.gif

As for the wire
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't like myself now.... I'm voting against Ted, The Wire is better even if it might never be as significant for many Irish people. Ted deserved to make the QF though but imo the Wire really should be in the final 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Father Ted always funny and a classic

Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These

[he points to some plastic cows on the table]

Father Ted: are small, but those

[pointing at some cows out of the window]

Father Ted: are far away... Small, far away

[Dougal shakes his head in confusion]

Father Ted: Ah forget it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The Wire - for this scene alone is masterpiece TV ....sorry Ted

if you haven't seen The Wire, check out that clip

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesus. This is tough.

The Wire travels better in that it would be a hit in any English speaking nation. Ted only really works here or the UK.

Fr Ted is re-watchable to the point it seldom gets stale. It's gas. It's light. It's fun. Wire is deep and dense but it's not something you'd just flick on out of sequence.

Having said all that, I think I vote for The Wire such is its realness, the performances and portrayals of Bubbles, Omar, Stringer and whole host of others. I feel it's a show that got the shades of grey aspects perfect. The bad guys aren't always good, the good guys aren't always bad. Whoever said earlier that the show glamourises kids selling drugs completely missed the point, Hamsterdam and the Low Rises were as grim as it got. Most of the Young'uns had awful lives with no way out and it was reflected perfectly.

The Wire is one of the best shows ever made IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭buckfast69

Tough Choice, I have lots of fond memories of watching Father Ted, but if I'm being objective about it The Wire is the better show.

Its everything a great HBO show is, it has great drama in it, moments of comedy gold, an awesome cast and so much more. I would happily sit down and binge a whole series over a weekend. With Father Ted I might watch one or two episode before moving onto something else.

So I am going to vote for the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

This is not hard, for Father Ted is brilliant and funny and that's it really

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ReverseGiraffe

Father Ted is amazing one of the best comedies and three pretty perfect seasons, voting Father Ted here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Father Ted'.

Again, there's really only one good season of the The Wire and that's the first one, which was practically flawless. But, every other one has problems, even if they are good tele.

There isn't a single episode of Father Ted that I couldn't sit down and watch completely all the way through and that's decades after they were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

You utter b*stard.....this is like asking someone to chose which of their children they love more....one the perfect comedy, the other the perfect drama....

giphy.gif

Purely because after all these years, if there is nothing on I will still stick on an episode to have a giggle....Father Ted....

Golden-Cleric.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’m going to go for Ted, for the same reasons I think football is better than soccer, it’s what I grew up with and I’m a thick lump who knows no better

I loved the wire but the last season where he faked it was just annoying, likewise the journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Necro wrote:
    Vote for your favourite, not what it may or may not face folks

The wire has some slow seasons and is tough to watch.

Ted is the opposite in both regards.

Vote for Ted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Next time there is a comp like this I think I'll vote for shows I loved that I don't think will get voted for, The Wire & Ted will always get mentioned but maybe that way I could be talking about Archer or Kenny M*F*N Powers from Eastbound and Down instead of a Glenroe prequel and Sesame street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Niska

Father Ted.

Could these shows BE any different? Wait. Wrong show.

The two shows are not comparable in any way. The Wire is a bad comedy and Ted a crap police procedural. So I can only go with which I wold watch right now - quite simlpy, Speed 3 is possibly my favourite episode of any show so Ted gets it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Father Ted has had its runs. Great as it is it isn’t close to the quality of tv that is the wire.

Wire for me

Advertisement