Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Show EVER - Boardsies Decide: Tournament Thread

Options
1121122123124125127»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Knew well father ted would go all the way. That Irish bias is stronk!

:pac:

For some reason I hold dramas above comedies. I don't think any comedy should have gone all the way even though I nominated the simpsons.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For some reason I hold dramas above comedies. I don't think any comedy should have gone all the way even though I nominated the simpsons.

That's a bias you see in things like the Oscars as well. It's like comedies aren't as "worthy" of the same accolades because they're maybe not as emotionally demanding of the actors or they're considered a bit too frivolous. It's a shame really, because done right the best comedies are works of art in their own right and, to use the last episode of Blackadder and the obvious example, can pack an emotional punch of their own. That said, there are probably a lot less comedies good enough to ever hope to attain such an exalted status compared to dramas, and there's probably a lot more poor comedies than any other genre. The combination of the two possibly drags the whole genre down and adds weight to the argument that dramas are more worthy of critical acclaim. I'd also argue that comedy is probably a lot more subjective, so while one person may consider Monty Python the pinnacle of its art form, another may view it as a bunch of posh college boys who have never grown up larking about. But I'd imagine you'd find very few people who would regard The Sopranos or Breaking Bad, for example, as poor dramas, even if they're not to their own personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I forgot about swiss tony from the fast show ::
    , "You have to remember that making coffee is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. It has to be hot, it has to be strong, you've got to grind your beans slowly... and at the last moment, add the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

We forgot about weeds.

What a show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

tusk wrote: »
    We forgot about weeds.

What a show

Fizzled out after two or three seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We forgot about weeds.

What a show

The ALDI breaking bad.

Breaking bad doesn't have a patch on weeds.

Breaking bad doesn't have a patch on weeds.

We took a poll of 100 people and zero agree with you.

• Advertisement

those same hundred people voted sesame street over an actual decent tv show. those hundred people don't count :pac: :pac:

those same hundred people voted sesame street over an actual decent tv show. those hundred people don't count :pac: :pac:

Touché!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Niska

Interesting aside, empire have jsut put up their top 100 TV shows of all time.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-tv-shows-ever-2/

Ted was only 64th.

Top 4:
    4. The Wire.
    3. The Sopranos.
    2. game of thrones.
    1. Breaking Bad.

Just goes to show there are less gob****es working in Empire than there are on Boards :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Just goes to show there are less gob****es working in Empire than there are on Boards :pac: :pac:

Is Empire an Irish publication?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Niska

sKeith wrote: »
    Is Empire an Irish publication?

It's a British magaziine

Advertisement