If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud hum coming from pre-amp

Options
  • 28-09-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi, 

Hoping you can offer some advice. I have a Pro Ject phono box V usb (this guy -https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/hi-fi-accessories/turntable-pre-amps-accessories/project-phonobox-usb-variable-soc.html) that I bought from you guys a few years back. It's connected to a Pro Ject Essential 2 turntable. Recently it has started making a loud hum and I can't hear any music coming out of the amp. 

I don't think it's an issue with the turntable because If I bypass the pre amp I can hear audio through the amp but obviously I have to ramp up the volume on the amp to hear anything.

I've tried a variety of phono cables but they haven't made any difference. I've pressed all the buttons all the ways - Line In on / Line in out / MM / MC. The only difference they make is that the hum gets louder / quieter / changes in pitch. 

I'm not sure what else I can do. I've read a few sources online that suggest it's either a board gone in the pre-amp, or the power supply is malfunctioning. Any bright ideas?

Thanks.

Michael

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi

While the hum may be due to a faulty phono stage there are a few things you can try first.  A hum from a turntable is usually due to a grounding issue.

Have you the earthing wire connected from the turntable to the phono stage securely? 

Have you the phono stage power adaptor plugged into a plug adaptor or trailing socket?  If so try plugging it directly into the socket on the wall

If you could check there couple of things and let me know how you get on

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi, 

I get the hum regardless of whether the turntable is connected to the pre-amp. I can connect the turntable directly to the amp and it works fine (just very quiet). So I don't think it's a grounding issue with the turntable. 

I've made sure the power adapter is going straight into a wall socket and not an extension board but that's made no difference.

I've tried it with two different amps - a marantz and a yamaha. I've tried multiple sets of phono cables of varying lengths. 

At this point I figure it's either the power supply or the entire unit. I know which one is cheaper to replace, so I'm hoping it's the power supply.

Thanks.

Michael

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

remoteboy wrote: »
    Hi, 

I get the hum regardless of whether the turntable is connected to the pre-amp. I can connect the turntable directly to the amp and it works fine (just very quiet). So I don't think it's a grounding issue with the turntable. 

I've made sure the power adapter is going straight into a wall socket and not an extension board but that's made no difference.

I've tried it with two different amps - a marantz and a yamaha. I've tried multiple sets of phono cables of varying lengths. 

At this point I figure it's either the power supply or the entire unit. I know which one is cheaper to replace, so I'm hoping it's the power supply.

Thanks.

Michael
    Hi Michael,

We can certainly have it tested in store however as it is a few years old it will be outside of warranty and the repair would be chargeable. It would be a £40 estimate fee to have it sent to our repair agents and then whatever the repair would cost on top of that.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi Michael,

We can certainly have it tested in store however as it is a few years old it will be outside of warranty and the repair would be chargeable. It would be a £40 estimate fee to have it sent to our repair agents and then whatever the repair would cost on top of that.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Thanks for all the help with this. It sounds like it would be cheaper just to replace the unit. I’ll try sourcing an alternate power supply first though. Hopefully that’s all it is.

Kind regards

Michael

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

remoteboy wrote: »
    Hi Michael,

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Thanks for all the help with this. It sounds like it would be cheaper just to replace the unit. I’ll try sourcing an alternate power supply first though. Hopefully that’s all it is.

Kind regards

Michael
    Hi Michael.

No problem at all.

Let us know if we can help in any way in future.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.