Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signal intensity very poor quality

• 28-09-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I am new to this so bare with me.
    I bought a new satellite which I have installed and hooked up to a box (box fairly old looking) anyway I have a sat finder and have been moving it around and got as far as getting 80% signal intensity but the quality is reaching only 14% seems to just stay there no movement. The intensity seems to jump as in 0 then right up to 75%-80%.

Any ideas what I should check for??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

To get a quality reading, you need to be tuned to something that your receiver can actually decode.

Are you checking the quality reading from the box? What's the make & model, & can you see what frequency you're tuned to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Bring tv and box outside, run power extention lead outside. connect coax cable, dish to box directly.
    Go through box menus to find the signal indicator bars, and adjust dish accordingly.
    Assuming no bad connections or faulty hardware it should work.
    Plan B call a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

we dont know size of dish, satellite, name of channel, is it a hd box, in fact we know nothing. how do you know dish and lnb is installed correctly.

say say sat you want, size of dish, make and model of box. there are lots of satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

Sorry it's a 60cm sky satellite dish looking to hook up at astra 28.2 the old box I am using for signal test is a silvercrest SL65 (lidl yoke) so I have the box set for the astra 28.2 with a satellite finder attached getting a strong reading from the sat finder and the signal intensity is up in 75-80% mark but quality is staying between 14-16%

To be honest I am not gonna use the box as I have a built in tuner in the telly I have just using it as a guide more so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Sorry it's a 60cm sky satellite dish looking to hook up at astra 28.2 the old box I am using for signal test is a silvercrest SL65 (lidl yoke) so I have the box set for the astra 28.2 with a satellite finder attached getting a strong reading from the sat finder and the signal intensity is up in 75-80% mark but quality is staying between 14-16%

That's a DVB-S box: you could be tuned to a transponder (tp) that's now DVB-S2.

You need to try something like 10714H, 22000, which has some Channel 4 stuff, or 10964H, 22000, which is Channel 5's tp.

Hopefully you're actually looking at 28.2 east.

You need to try something like 10714H, 22000, which has some Channel 4 stuff, or 10964H, 22000, which is Channel 5's tp.

So be best to get a newer box or think I should hook up to the telly and see if anything comes in? Sorry complete newbie to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

So be best to get a newer box or think I should hook up to the telly and see if anything comes in? Sorry complete newbie to this

You tube has videos on how to align dish, also apps for finding direction. It can be very hard to find satellite when you don't know what your doing.

I have a silvercrest box old but working fine + it will give 80% signal 14% quality when the dish is not aligned, when you have a dish aligned properly the signal on box will go 80% 80% or higher and lines will turn blue + green.

3 things when aligning dish
    1 back of dish (22 degees ish)
    2 where its pointed (compass might help)
    3 Lnb at front.

Try again dishpointer.com or buy a satellite finder or pay some installer to align it for you.

Good luck.

All sorted this evening thanks for the help folks

Advertisement