Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer incentive

Options
  • 28-09-2019 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

What first time buyer incentives, if any, are available at the minute for refurbishment. Currently sale agreed on a second hand house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just the SEAI grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Sarn wrote: »
    Just the SEAI grants.

That’s what I was thinking.

Your bank approves you a mortgage for the value of the house and your income. We just about managed to go sale agreed on a house in the location that we want but that’s it. Very little money for furniture and kitchen never mind refurb. We had to grab the opportunity to live in a place we want to live. That said the price was very reasonable for where it is and the money we are paying wouldn’t get us a whole lot more elsewhere. We are just going to buy furniture, etc from places doing 0% credit.

A first time buyer grant for help to refurbish would be helpful. I live in a town with over 20,000 people and I don’t know of a single housing estate under construction within a 10km radius. So no other choice but to buy second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

We had to get a loan to pay for our extensive refurbishment. Once done, we revalued and remortgaged. The home improvement loan was paid off by the equity release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

We had to get a loan to pay for our extensive refurbishment. Once done, we revalued and remortgaged. The home improvement loan was paid off by the equity release.

I don’t think that we have an option to remortgage until our 5 year fixed is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I don’t think that we have an option to remortgage until our 5 year fixed is up.

You can break it after a year but will incur a cost.
    We went to PTSB and the 2% cashback they offered well took care of the breakage fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Does this mean you can't get a first time buyers incentive for a second hand house? Are there other grants available for new builds?

Advertisement