Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode doesn't match address

Options
  • 28-09-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

OK, so my parents live in a detached house in the country, typical rural dwelling with house house numbers etc and they're near a boundary between 2 counties.

When Eircode was launched they received a letter in the post and little credit card sized cut out keepable with their Eircode printed on it.

Address is as follows :

Small townsland
    Bigger town
    County
    Eircode

But on the Eircode website it shows their address as

Different small townsland in neighbouring county
    Bigger town in neighbouring county
    County (same as the other address shown)
    Eircode

So basically it's like

Address 1

XX
    XXX
    County
    Eircode

Address 2
    YY
    YYY
    County
    Eircode

Just kind of curious as to why this is, why the discrepancy and which is the actual correct address to use?

I've emailed both An Post and Eircode looking for an answer, but nothing to report back yet, also curious to hear replies on here if anyone has experienced similar and which address they should be using?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is the location on the Eircode map correct?

If it is, it's just a postal address difference,

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Is the location on the Eircode map correct?

If it is, it's just a postal address difference,

Yes, the location pinpoint on the Eircode website is spot on.

Just curious as to why and how there's two addresses, as they are essentially in different towns/counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not unusual.

An example is Inniskeen, County Monahagan. A perfectly valid address for a village in Co Monaghan. But it's postal address is Inniskeen, Dundalk, County Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

As srameen said, I would recommend that you find your house on the map at the eircode website (maybe use google maps to help you locate it, satellite view would be useful). Maybe search for a neighbor and then click "Find on map" to locate your own house. Get the eircode that the map shows for your house, I would imagine that that is your correct eircode.

If the text that goes along with the house is incorrect, contact eircode and tell them. Get your folks to ask a neighbor what that neighbors eircode is, your folks should (probably) have the same first three characters as their neighbors i.e. "F35" . https://www.eircode.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Our own eircode is the same. The address they use and the one we use are entirely different often confusing people if they look at the address of the given eircode as ours says we're in a neighbouring town about 20 minutes away. However if you follow the pinpoint it'll bring you to our gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

My address is the same. But this is something we've been aware of long, long before Eircode. It's just a better address for postal routing. Post could take an extra day being routed by the geographical address rather than the postal address as it would use a different sorting office further away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hmm... this could explain something odd I've experienced a few times recently. I've had people knocking in, confused that a business address they are looking for in santry, was sending them to my home in clondalkin.

Advertisement