Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up of dating apps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Is 'entitlement' your favourite word?

If a man posted here about standing a woman up, he'd be pilloried.

That's what you are though.

and for the last time, cancelling a plan is NOT standing someone up.

and for the last time, I've had men cancel on me and I'm sure most women have.

But don't let the facts stand in the way of your 'poor me' little rant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was at a social event recently and was put sitting beside this one as a matchmaking thing by a friend who's event it was, I think we both knew it, but immediately she started in with the questions what do you work at? Do you have children etc. At some point I went out for a smoke and my mate who was sitting across from us came out and she says fcuk me you're getting some interrogation off yer woman, what's that about?

I said I know right, I'm here going over my answers.. It felt more like machine gun fire, completely off putting and not natural at all, like she was trying to work out were to put me in the pecking order, men can sense that sh*t a mile a way.
    Depends how horny/lonely/daft they are too Ax.

But yeah a tad offputting. I've inserted a couple of fleas in the ear over such nonsense. One was so bloody rude on top of that. After the checklist and third degree with a worry of waterboarding she then went on about attractive she was as a woman and how her other "dates" were enchanted by her, because I was apparently not being enchanted enough by her guff. I had had enough and suggested that she may have clicked into a focus(yep :D) group for Specsavers by mistake. She didn't get it which added to the pile of guff. :D Oh and those attached at the wrist to their phones. G'way to feck with you. To be fair I've personally only encountered about four such women in my life*, the vast majority aren't like that, though I don't do "dating" or interwebs matchmaking stuff so my take might well be skewed on this, or things have changed? Though I really doubt it, most women aren't muppets.

*oh and contrary to some popular belief it wasn't particularly age related. yes, I found women in their 30's tended to be more questioning, but in a nice way and understandable too, if as some had said they wanted a family. No need to waste a few years of their lives on a nope to kids wastrel like me. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate 20 questions CV daters. Like **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I reckon they would prefer that to yet another dick pic.

Dick pics are gone the way of the bows and arrows, any fella still sending them will come across as archaic. The modern fella asks for her Eircode and has a 3D print of his dick dispatched to her with uber eats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A mate of mine on this merry go round a few years back before she got loved up(outa the blue and spontaneously, real "meet cute", as the Yanks say) told me she had the same interrogation checklist sh1te from a couple of men she went out on dates with. I mean crap like how many kids do you want and how soon, her career prospects and how that might change with kids. Yep. And one guy asked her for a tally of her sexual partners as his "morals" didn't want to marry a "woman that got around". :D Yeah. Jaysus like. On top, all they could talk about was how much better their cubicle/office was and how they were pushing paradigms and the like. To me they sounded like Donald Trump attempting to pick up a woman without the millionaire thing. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I hate 20 questions CV daters. Like **** off

Who do they think they are, like? You'd have to be fierce narcissistic to interrogate people like that to weigh up whether they're worthy of your time.

I remember a man trying to do it to me on a dating app. Asked some ridiculous question like 'so who ARE you?', like he was expecting me to write a novel baring my soul to a rando on a dating app who also hadn't told me anything about himself. Obviously the normal thing of having a two-way conversation to establish compatibility was a waste of his precious time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wibbs wrote: »
    On top, all they could talk about was how much better their cubicle/office was and how they were pushing paradigms and the like. To me they sounded like Donald Trump attempting to pick up a woman without the millionaire thing. :D

this is what I imagine the poster a few pages back was getting at when they said 'Skilling at someone', but tbh I'm still none the wiser...

A mate of mine on this merry go round a few years back before she got loved up(outa the blue and spontaneously, real "meet cute", as the Yanks say) told me she had the same interrogation checklist sh1te from a couple of men she went out on dates with. I mean crap like how many kids do you want and how soon, her career prospects and how that might change with kids. Yep. And one guy asked her for a tally of her sexual partners as his "morals" didn't want to marry a "woman that got around". :D Yeah. Jaysus like. On top, all they could talk about was how much better their cubicle/office was and how they were pushing paradigms and the like. To me they sounded like Donald Trump attempting to pick up a woman without the millionaire thing. :D

I've had this too. It's absolutely cringeworthy.

Had a guy on a first date telling me what a catch he was, how he was so much more of a catch than he had been a few years earlier. I directly said to him 'that's for me to decide'. So many people are lacking in social skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I remember a man trying to do it to me on a dating app. Asked some ridiculous question like 'so who ARE you?' like he was expecting me to write a novel baring my soul to a rando on a dating app who also hadn't told me anything about himself.
    To be fair Lainey you're not expected to write the novel then and there, you're supposed to email him a pdf of it before the date so he can decide if he will grace you with his presence.
    Honestly, you should know this stuff already....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Yeah i remember meeting a fair few guys in "buy" mode when I was online. What's your job, where do you live, do you rent or have your own place, what are you looking for in a man, where do you see yourself in 5 years. Like, sit there and impress me and I'll size you up. More red flags than a soviet parade in that one. And about as much craic as mass.

that's probably what ultimately switched me off to them in the end, the sheer effort of setting aside time in your week to play russian roulette with some lad you've had a bit of rapport with online, travel halfway across the city to be interrogated / evaluated by some fella that you're probably not attracted to and then have to make your excuses. Or giving a chance to some lad who's a lot more damaged / emotionally unavailable than he initially is letting on, letting the aul guard down and then poof, never to be seen again. (To be fair I had a thing for divorced guys for a while, never again!)

it began to feel like a second job, and i stopped feeling good about myself ultimately. Might be a bit of a heart-on-my-sleeve type, but I'm too long in the tooth to be changing at this rate. i found deleting the apps suddenly forced me out of myself and suddenly you're noticing lads around you, engaging a bit more, flirting more, sometimes getting asked out. not that it's a perfect solution as I'm still single, not interested in dating at the minute, but i guess for me as far as finding a life partner goes, the face-swiping and serial dating and Pass-the-test style interrogations are just not really in line with my values or how i tend to be drawn to a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i saw a womans pof profile a few years ago, must be good looking, must have a job where you use your brain, must have a six pack etc

i dont see how any man could possibly send a woman like that a message, talk about a self entitled bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Maybe you shouldn't have messed the guy around and he wouldn't have been annoyed?

Whoosh.

He can get annoyed all he wants, but what he can't do if he wants a normal woman in his life is start texting insults and putdowns the second something doesn't go to his plan. No matter if he's being messed around or if the other person is genuine with their reasons. That's just a fact. No skin off my nose that he got so annoyed that he revealed himself to be a Not-So-Secret Psycho type, in fact that development proved my instinct about him was right on the money, when I started getting uneasy about his obsessive texts midweek. But that kinda behaviour will hurt him and his chances of a healthy relationship more than it will any woman he tries to pursue.

I did cancel on the morning of the day we were supposed to meet, but I never stood him (or anyone, ever) up. I texted him to say it's not a good idea, and that I'm in a bad place in life just at that time (i.e. "It's not you, it's me"), because I certainly didn't need the consequences of telling him the truth, that I have started getting spooky vibes from him, and that is not a frame of mind to be meeting someone on. I needn't have bothered, because he went balistic anyway. In hindsight, I actually feel sorry for the guy. I hope he learns to manage himself with time.

ETA: Thank you, lainey. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Asked some ridiculous question like 'so who ARE you?'
    I must start using that on ladies whose entire bio is "Ask me" or any variant thereof.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I must start using that on ladies whose entire bio is "Ask me" or any variant thereof.

It's funny how so many men don't seem to realise this isn't a gendered thing. Men seem to think women on apps are princesses who expect men to do all the work. Do you not realise that lots of men do exactly the same thing?

It's funny how so many men don't seem to realise this isn't a gendered thing. Men seem to think women on apps are princesses who expect men to do all the work. Do you not realise that lots of men do exactly the same thing?
    I'm sure there are, but I don't message them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I will ****ing stitch myself shut before attempting online dating again. We all deserve better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

I will ****ing stitch myself shut before attempting online dating again. We all deserve better.

Lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What's with all the chicks who say "looking for a partner in crime" and don't mean it? I've brought along a holdall containing balaclavas and a 12-gauge on several dates and they all chickened out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

sabat wrote: »
    What's with all the chicks who say "looking for a partner in crime" and don't mean it? I've brought along a holdall containing balaclavas and a 12-gauge on several dates and they all chickened out.

and i have found my new tinder bio....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

sabat wrote: »

Love the partner in crime saying too. Like, you are having a few pink gins and some tapas Megan, not planning to rob Santander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

joeguevara wrote: »
    Love the partner in crime saying too. Like, you are having a few pink gins and some tapas Megan, not planning to rob Santander.

"my Ride or Die" is a new one as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I recently matched with a girl who had "Sapiophile" on her bio along with other stuff.

I then started chatting with her and all I got back from long (i.e. not just a few words), properly written messages were one-worded replies until the last one which was two words - cool beans. Sapiophile me hoop!

Fvck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Could not disagree more re multi dating.

This 'stay cool and detached and date around' approach is IMO largely why so many people are incapable of forming proper bonds and starting real relationships these days. You're supposed to get a bit carried away, not be cold and clinical and making sure you have a back-up plan. How can you give anything a proper chance when your attention is so divided?

In an ideal world you wouldn't need to be cool and detatched but things have changed with the rise of OD. Problem is its the getting carried away that leads to a bad place if the other person is not on the same page which certainly does happen. The way it works is you wait until the 3rd/4th date when you know interest is both ways.. then you start to give it a real chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i saw a womans pof profile a few years ago, must be good looking, must have a job where you use your brain, must have a six pack etc

i dont see how any man could possibly send a woman like that a message, talk about a self entitled bitch.

Ah yes, I once got an opening message from a guy who didn't hold back in telling me how cultured, intellligent and accomplished he was.
    The tone of superiority was astonishing, he went on and on about how his interests were so worthwhile and important compared to other people who enjoy doing basic things like going for coffee or watching netflix. He was far too worldly for things like that, you see.

He then finished up by saying that I'm very pretty, it seemed like we had some similar interests, but he'd appreciate it if I had a brain because most women he comes across are idiots who "get their nails done for fun and watch love island".

So I clearly met his standard of attractiveness, but he needed confirmation of my level of intelligence before he was willing to proceed with the conversation.

It was hands down the most condescending, patronising message I'd ever gotten and I let him know too. He then exploded and sent me a vile rant about how I'm clearly just another dumb blonde and I can't expect my looks to carry me through life. My only regret is that I didn't screenshot it before he blocked me!

I mean, he asked me to confirm if I even had a brain. How was I supposed to take a comment like that in a positive way?

Nothing annoys me more than people who look down on others because of their interests. Whether it be anime, hill walking, baking or even watching love island, no should be criticised or looked down on for it.
    There's nothing more unattractive than someone who snootily judges other people for what they do for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Greyfox wrote: »
    In an ideal world you wouldn't need to be cool and detatched but things have changed with the rise of OD. Problem is its the getting carried away that leads to a bad place if the other person is not on the same page which certainly does happen. The way it works is you wait until the 3rd/4th date when you know interest is both ways.. then you start to give it a real chance.

Yeah agree with this. It's a serious "occupational hazard" to get invested in anyone too early when you're using the apps, people have so much choice and are prone to all sorts of crappy behaviours that can leave you quite hurt and damaged if you're not careful. I know a guy who would build a "dating pipeline" and would add and delete different girls to his instagram every other week based on who he was dating and how he felt about them.

I hate the idea of seeing more than one guy but I've gotten burned in the past so if I was online dating again, I'd definitely be casting the net and not taking anyone too seriously until I had established it was a mutual interest and they were investing in me and wanted the same things.

I recently matched with a girl who had "Sapiophile" on her bio along with other stuff.

I then started chatting with her and all I got back from long (i.e. not just a few words), properly written messages were one-worded replies until the last one which was two words - cool beans. Sapiophile me hoop!

Fvck off.
    It's a good rule of thumb that anyone using a term like Sapiophile or self describing themselves as highly intelligent, looking for same is almost certainly thicker than bottled pig poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I am, oh yes I am....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's a good rule of thumb that anyone using a term like Sapiophile or self describing themselves as highly intelligent, looking for same is almost certainly thicker than bottled pig poo.

I wanted to get my own back. She had huge chesticles and I wanted to say "if your brain was half the size of one of your knockers you'd be doing well"

I thought better of it and just blocked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Forget your interests, ask them what their interests are. Nobody lost money betting against people's fave subject being them. :D So that'll will take up a huge amount of the slack in any convo. Listen to what they say, goes for women, men, kids, dogs and cats, and murderous parrots. People are so unused to being actually listened to. You'll stand out if you demonstrate that you've only one mouth, but two ears.

The above is really excellent advice from Wibbs. If anyone is looking for a way to set yourself apart from the crowd, without having to spend a lot of money on nice clothes, surgery, round the world trips and so on, this is how to do it. I have heard probably hundreds of interactions between men and women over the years and I would say 90 percent of the time the man either starts trying to demonstrate to her what a great catch he is, or starts immediately cracking jokes in order to show that he's a funny guy, or goes on about some generic thing they have in common "how long have you been here?/how are you finding the course?" etc. Now people obviously get together, so to some degree the above can work of course, maybe other factors come into play, his looks, his confidence, the way he speaks, what they have superficially in common. However, I think people who genuinely take an interest in other people's passions and what makes them tick are genuinely quite rare, as Wibbs says, people are simply not used to being listened to. And yes, nearly everyone's favourite subject is themselves, especially after they develop some comfort around you. It tends to honestly surprise quite a lot of ladies if you can demonstrate this ability.

Now of course this is by no means a 100 percent cast-iron means of seduction either, but I will maintain if you can do it successfully, you will to a large degree stand out from the crowd and women will truly enjoy talking to you. Once you have this sorted then it's a clear advantage and you never know what can happen after that.

To come back to the actual thread, I am also starting to get sick of the apps, especially Tinder. Now I am usually fairly confident, but sometimes interacting online can really test this confidence.

For a start, I'm not attractive enough to clean up through looks alone. As hinted at above I need other strings to my bow. In the past I have been lucky enough that some very attractive girls were into me for whatever reason, but it almost certainly wasn't on just looks alone. It was something else that I brought to the table in real life. So as we all know, if you are not in the top 20 percent of guys looks wise, maybe even higher (10 percent?) you are immediately at a disadvantage.

Nevertheless, as others have said, in this day and age you kind of have to use online dating to some degree, real life is better, but not everyone has the gift of the gab to talk to complete strangers, nor a huge social circle where you're meeting different people all the time. Work can bring you into contact with a lot of people, but there are other drawbacks there which I don't need to go into as I'm sure everyone is aware of them.

So online dating is a big part of our single lives in 2019. Now I don't get many matches as explained above. However, I do get maybe a couple a week or something like this. Now many are just duds, they aren't even worth the time trying to get to know. Nevertheless, every so often you can start speaking to someone that actually seems genuinely interesting. Your hopes are raised and then completely randomly you are just blocked and you have no idea why, presumably something you said, but not necessarily either. This has even happened after two dates I have been on, both times I thought they went reasonably well, not absolutely fantastic or anything, but I was definitely thinking that a second one could occur. So to be just "ghosted" like this, especially when you have met the person in real life, is hard to take, you think they could at least make up some excuse or something. If you haven't met them, well I do have to concur with those that say that randomers online don't owe you anything. Maybe you think that you have a nice connection built up and in an ideal world they would tell you why you are being removed, but ultimately they owe you nothing and whereas it's disappointing, you can hardly blame them too much.

The online world is a byproduct of our era of course and it does enable people's behaviour to be worse as a general rule. Whether it's people not "reading" your messages and then ignoring you or "unfriending" you for no apparent reason, these can all hurt, you would always like to think that you deserve some justification for doing this, but online interactions makes it just that little bit easier to be rude and dismissive of people. We would like to think we all deserve an explanation, but maybe in their heads they think you don't and that given there are so many people in this world anyway, what does it matter if you are basically spurned for no reason? There's always someone round the corner to replace you. So yeah, dating apps are not great, but they are just an unfortunate consequence of how civilisation has gone, it's so easy to theoretically meet people now, but that means others are just as easily disposed of.

• Advertisement

And then there are those people who love hearing themselves talk, and it's getting them to shut up that's the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what gets me is the women who have very ambitious on their profile yet the are 30 + unemployed and have never had a job or worked in their life, how can that be very ambitious?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what gets me is the women who have very ambitious on their profile yet the are 30 + unemployed and have never had a job or worked in their life, how can that be very ambitious?
    People can have different ambitions. Wanting to bag an exceedingly wealthy spouse can be ambitious.

It's a pretty crap criterion without context, but pof is a pretty crap website overall, so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

depends what your ambition is, i suppose. Maybe they're being self deprecating, they had a list of things they were looking for in a guy and someone said 'you're being very ambitious there, love...'

I like a sense of humour in a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What even is a sapiophile?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What even is a sapiophile?

A pseudo intellectual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

It can be a funny game. I once had a woman message me in the first instance, and we had great conversations about movies, TV shows, general life interests/values, and all the rest. It was actually one particular obscure movie that featured in both our profiles that started it, I think. Then, out of nowhere, she comes out with "Sorry though, I find your tattoos really degrading, I couldn't imagine explaining to my daughter why her father hates women"!

I mean, grand, fine, you're perfectly entitled to either dislike tattoos, or tattoos that you feel are offensive, whatever, you know, free world and that initial perception doesn't bother me at all. But why in the name of god would you message me first, engage in conversation, and THEN come out with that?

Homelander wrote: »
    It can be a funny game. I once had a woman message me in the first instance, and we had great conversations about movies, TV shows, general life interests/values, and all the rest. It was actually one particular obscure movie that featured in both our profiles that started it, I think. Then, out of nowhere, she comes out with "Sorry though, I find your tattoos really degrading, I couldn't imagine explaining to my daughter why her father hates women"!

I mean, grand, fine, you're perfectly entitled to either dislike tattoos, or tattoos that you feel are offensive, whatever, you know, free world and that initial perception doesn't bother me at all. But why in the name of god would you message me first, engage in conversation, and THEN come out with that?

I would say you had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kiki_the_third

So for those who are sick of the apps, what are the other options?

Would you go to a speed dating event? Must we all join hiking MeetUps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes. The hiking meetup is your only job really. Guaranteed success. I'm not a bit biased on this either :D:D:D

Also don't think a non-hiking meetup that meets in the local pub down the road of a Thursday will do. It won't. It will end in tears

Just strike up a conversation with someone you fancy and then try to get contact details.

Just strike up a conversation with someone you fancy and then try to get contact details.

Yeah, maybe if I lived in NYC. That is quite simply not how things work in Ireland.

Yeah, maybe if I lived in NYC. That is quite simply not how things work in Ireland.

How so?

How so?

I'm not exaggerating, I love hearing people's "so how did you meet?" stories and I've never once heard a story along the lines of "well I saw her in the shop/ library/ gym/ cinema and I thought she was cute so I asked for her number and we went out that weekend."

It seems very much like the stuff of an American romcom. In Ireland, that could only happen after *several* hours in the pub, a scene I'm not very involved in.

You could meet someone through work?

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    You could meet someone through work?

Self-employed I'm afraid, and there's only a certain amount of time every day I can spend sexually harassing myself!

I'm not exaggerating, I love hearing people's "so how did you meet?" stories and I've never once heard a story along the lines of "well I saw her in the shop/ library/ gym/ cinema and I thought she was cute so I asked for her number and we went out that weekend."

It seems very much like the stuff of an American romcom. In Ireland, that could only happen after *several* hours in the pub, a scene I'm not very involved in.

Apart from the gym, you're not going to strike up conversations at any of those places.

Pub is OK only if you have had a couple of drinks at most, you won't really be taken seriously otherwise.

Gigs are a good place too, that's if you're into live music at all.

Various meetups of whatever you're interested in.

Basically, unless you make some kind of effort in real life, you will forever be scrolling through any amount of dull profiles on dating apps which, although a novelty when they first came on the scene, are more or less a monetized waste of time for most now.

Apart from the gym, you're not going to strike up conversations at any of those places.

Pub is OK only if you have had a couple of drinks at most, you won't really be taken seriously otherwise.

Gigs are a good place too, that's if you're into live music at all.

Various meetups of whatever you're interested in.

Basically, unless you make some kind of effort in real life, you will forever be scrolling through any amount of dull profiles on dating apps which, although a novelty when they first came on the scene, are more or less a monetized waste of time for most now.

I've pursued several hobbies over the last few years, some of them male dominated, and it hasn't been the magical path to meeting someone that many on here would like to believe. I still pursue them because I enjoy them, but I've dated exactly one guy I met this way. I've made a much wider circle of friends, which will probably help in the long run, but in my experience Irish people just don't ask each other out as directly as the manner you described above.

Is that common in your friend group?

I've pursued several hobbies over the last few years, some of them male dominated, and it hasn't been the magical path to meeting someone that many on here would like to believe. I still pursue them because I enjoy them, but I've dated exactly one guy I met this way. I've made a much wider circle of friends, which will probably help in the long run, but in my experience Irish people just don't ask each other out as directly as the manner you described above.

Is that common in your friend group?

There's never any guarantee that they will; you do them for the enjoyment of it first and if you happen to meet someone you like along the way then even better. It gives you both a common ground to possibly meet and have something immediate in common. If it happens.

It's true that Irish people are not entirely direct about their intentions and I was the same when I was a younger man in my early twenties; I was afraid of rejection and frankly missed out a bit. Anxiety didn't help either.

You can use that above fact to your advantage; it will make you stand out if you are more direct in a way and trust me, every man would love a woman to walk up to him and start chatting away instead of the usual way around.

My friend group is a mix of different personalities. Most of my friends are settled down or married. Most of them would be fairly confident and def sure of themselves but not cocky lads. In all of their cases they struck up conversations with women they liked at various events and locations.

Also, the wider your friends circle is the greater the opportunity of meeting someone who you may click with who's a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Actually seen a lad try this yesterday in a shop que, her reply "I am not from around here" in a foreign accent :D

Fair play to him though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement