Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up of dating apps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

I go through phases with them, its either a feast or a famine and boredem during the famine leads to deletion and then end up reinstalling them again a few weeks later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Go on, I'm curious. Break down why it's ****e.

Fair enough.
    From your post you've established the following:

- you are tall.
    - you are handsome
    - you are built
    - you are intelligent
    - you are witty
    - you have other great traits
    - other blokes are bitter and misguided (not you tho, you already stated how great you are.... maybe you should get two parachutes?)
    - you've met so many "amazing, talented, intelligent and beautiful women" - but they werent for you. (maybe you need three parachutes?)

........... actually i can't continue. you blew yourself out soooooo fu*king much :pac: and you can't see that?

well fu*k me dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Fair enough.
    From your post you've established the following:

- you are tall.
    - you are handsome
    - you are built
    - you are intelligent
    - you are witty
    - you have other great traits
    - other blokes are bitter and misguided (not you tho, you already stated how great you are.... maybe you should get two parachutes?)
    - you've met so many "amazing, talented, intelligent and beautiful women" - but they werent for you. (maybe you need three parachutes?)

........... actually i can't continue. you blew yourself out soooooo fu*king much :pac: and you can't see that?

But what's your point? What's *wrong* with what I said?

well fu*k me dude.

Soz bbz. You're not really my type.

But what's your point? What's *wrong* with what I said?

Soz bbz. You're not really my type.

You are blowing yourself out. If you can't see that no-one on this planet could make you see it.... and in my experience anyone who blows themselves out is usually 99.9% of the time talking sh*ite "bbz" ;)

You are blowing yourself out. If you can't see that no-one on this planet could make you see it.... and in my experience anyone who blows themselves out is usually 99.9% of the time talking sh*ite "bbz" ;)

Please do describe this self-blowing. You seem quite obsessed by it.

• Advertisement

Please do describe this self-blowing. You seem quite obsessed by it.

Please describe that stange word "obsessed" you used. I mean, if i have to keep asking someone to describe things then i must not know english much very :pac: (second time you hit back with "whats this" line. )

.. or it's a poor atempt at deflecting the point on to something else. Didnt you say you were intelligent? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Why don't people just stay away from 'dating apps' and common degeneracy?

Why not do something worthwhile like fishing or woodwork. Go walking and get out in the fresh air.

****ing dating apps Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why not do something worthwhile like fishing or woodwork. Go walking and get out in the fresh air.

****ing dating apps Jesus Christ.

What a load of hyperbole. Dating apps have nothing to do with common degeneracy. "Something worthwhile" is subjective - woodwork & fishing sounds like my worst nightmare.
    And they aren't the most promising options for someone looking for a romantic partner either...I don't think I can name one single person I know that met their husband while engaging in a bit of woodwork.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What a load of hyperbole. Dating apps have nothing to do with common degeneracy. "Something worthwhile" is subjective - woodwork & fishing sounds like my worst nightmare.
    And they aren't the most promising options for someone looking for a romantic partner either...I don't think I can name one single person I know that met their husband while engaging in a bit of woodwork.

They have everything to do with common degeneracy.

Please expand on how, I'm all ears. I'm also eager to hear all your stories of the various couples you know who met while fishing & doing woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wonderful to have a 'rural dweller' posting from 1956 on the forum...

Please describe that stange word "obsessed" you used. I mean, if i have to keep asking someone to describe things then i must not know english much very :pac: (second time you hit back with "whats this" line. )

.. or it's a poor atempt at deflecting the point on to something else. Didnt you say you were intelligent? :pac:

No. No deflecting from the question I asked you. What's this self blowing you keep on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd say everyone using them gets fed up with them at times, they can be a bit of a rollercoaster. I've heard almost everyone I know say there done with online dating and before you know it there back swiping again. You get a lot more dates with online dating than the real world and anybody who says otherwise is deluded. With OD you get a lot more of both the good and bad of normal dating, you need to get good at weeding out the time wasters. I had a 2nd date on sunday and I had to text her to say I wasnt really feeling it. God Ive been on the recieving end of that text so many times. With a bit of effort getting dates on tinder and bumble is easy, its just that fookin spark seems to be so difficult to find.

The reality is bar a glut of stupid men who jump to sex far too soon there's plenty of choice for women so it makes sense for them to be choosy. OD definitely gives the illusion that whoever your on a date with theres someone better only a few swipes away. The way I have to look at it is most of those dates that don't go to another date have been at least been an enjoyable conversation for both people. That's what OD dating is, meeting someone and having a nice chat and you can hope to see them again but NEVER expect it to lead somewhere, you have to get into the mindset of not having expectations until you know the other person feels the same way.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Please expand on how, I'm all ears. I'm also eager to hear all your stories of the various couples you know who met while fishing & doing woodwork.

By promoting a culture of promiscuity and shallow degeneracy.

I don't know of any couples who met while fishing & doing woodwork. My point is that it develops self worth Smh.

Dating apps is the most shallow meaningless way to connect with someone.

Wonderful to have a 'rural dweller' posting from 1956 on the forum...

I wasn't even born in 1956.

Typical dating app user.

No. No deflecting from the question I asked you. What's this self blowing you keep on about?

You know what it means. Sure.. you did it :pac:
    Stop deflecting.

You know what it means. Sure.. you did it :pac:
    Stop deflecting.

You're just proving your argument to be ill founded and empty. Thank you for proving the point.

You're just proving your argument to be ill founded and empty. Thank you for proving the point.

oh stfu :pac:
    you really think that lame poor a$s psychology works on me? Heres a tip: you're not as intelligent as you proclaim to be. I'd give it a 6/10 tho.

you blew yourself out. handsome... intelligent.... witty.... had to say no to say many girls. blah blah. **** ****. Seriously... you are trying to tell me you do not know what "blowing yourself out means"? thats your angle? thats your counter-argument? that's your deflection?! lol.

Get a grip on reality and stop posting smoke up your own a** ;)

look. its like talking with a brickwall. think what you think. I shall do the same. bye bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

bye bye.

Thank god.

you really think that lame poor a$s psychology works on me? Heres a tip: you're not as intelligent as you proclaim to be. I'd give it a 6/10 tho.

you blew yourself out. handsome... intelligent.... witty.... had to say no to say many girls. blah blah. **** ****. Seriously... you are trying to tell me you do not know what "blowing yourself out means"? thats your angle? thats your counter-argument? that's your deflection?! lol.

look. its like talking with a brickwall. think what you think. I shall do the same. bye bye.

Ah bless. I'm looking forward to the next time your parents let you post on Boards, champ.

Byeeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement

Does this multi-dating feel weird for anybody? As an example say I had a first date with girl A on a tuesday which went well and on friday im on a first date with girl B. Before and maybe after my date with girl B im texting girl A with something like out with a few friends or whatever and when I see girl A again I will be texting girl B to say im out with a few friends. Yes I realise doing this is the norn until you meet someone you really like and the feeling is mutual, its just that telling white lies does still seem weird, I guess its funny how different the world of dating is compared to before tinder came along.

Dating apps is the most shallow meaningless way to connect with someone.

But its still the best way, these days if your not doing OD your not making a serious effort to meet someone. People have to move with the times or else there stuck fishing or doing woodwork all on there own while everyone else is having fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

bye bye.
    Byeeeeeeeeeeee

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I feel very sorry for young people today -- technology is great but it's denying people basic social skills --- they are welded to phones morning , noon and night... if they are not reading about other people's lives they are capturing it on snappychats or whatever it is. Swiping left or right then to have sex ... how utterly crass. Whatever happened to getting out talking to people and looking at the world around you and engaging with it- not through the prism of your phone. No wonder most young people have severe mental health problems - they are locked away from the world and not living in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Bye bye indeed. Dont post in this thread again. If you want to discuss it send me a PM. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ah bless. I'm looking forward to the next time your parents let you post on Boards, champ.

Byeeeeeeeeeeee

Mod

Dont post in this thread again. Send me a PM to discuss if needed. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I feel very sorry for young people today -- technology is great but it's denying people basic social skills --- they are welded to phones morning , noon and night... if they are not reading about other people's lives they are capturing it on snappychats or whatever it is. Swiping left or right then to have sex ... how utterly crass. Whatever happened to getting out talking to people and looking at the world around you and engaging with it- not through the prism of your phone. No wonder most young people have severe mental health problems - they are locked away from the world and not living in reality.
    Be dismissive as you like, but this is the attitude of a fuddy duddy. All tinder does is provide an opportunity to talk to someone. Where you go from there is entirely on you. The folks shagging everything in sight are the same bunch who'd have been shagging everything in sight before smartphones, and those without basic social skills aren't getting much past, "Hello".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

elizunia87 wrote: »
    I used to be a member of pof. Liked the page, met some nice people. I also met my beloved man who became my husband now. Baby is on the way too.
    So guys don't give up :)

Hey.... So we still hooking up the weekend Babes? I thought we could get real close Friday night and maybe pick up the paternity test results on the Saturday?

* Edit sorry thought this was over PM - Mods please delete :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

PhuckHugh wrote: »

I can see a revolution against this ****e someday... Being fake is the new real

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'd say everyone using them gets fed up with them at times, they can be a bit of a rollercoaster. I've heard almost everyone I know say there done with online dating and before you know it there back swiping again. You get a lot more dates with online dating than the real world and anybody who says otherwise is deluded. With OD you get a lot more of both the good and bad of normal dating, you need to get good at weeding out the time wasters. I had a 2nd date on sunday and I had to text her to say I wasnt really feeling it. God Ive been on the recieving end of that text so many times. With a bit of effort getting dates on tinder and bumble is easy, its just that fookin spark seems to be so difficult to find.

This is what I don't get about online dating...there is no spark, so whats the point?
    Meeting people in real life is far more exciting and natural. Whole concept of online dating seems so forced and awkward to me.
    Never something I've taken seriously but anytime I've looked at tinder most of the men want me to meet them for a drink in either the first message or the second one...or they start getting abusive because I didn't answer their message within a couple of hours (sorry, I'm not permanently attached to my phone)

I get that some people are really into it I just don't get why...

This is what I don't get about online dating...there is no spark, so whats the point?
    Meeting people in real life is far more exciting and natural. Whole concept of online dating seems so forced and awkward to me.
    Never something I've taken seriously but anytime I've looked at tinder most of the men want me to meet them for a drink in either the first message or the second one...or they start getting abusive because I didn't answer their message within a couple of hours (sorry, I'm not permanently attached to my phone)

Pardon my ignorance but would that not be a much more direct and straightforward way of cutting through lots of bull****? A drink or two (say an hour face to face) would be much more informative than weeks of inane messaging.

Pardon my ignorance but would that not be a much more direct and straightforward way of cutting through lots of bull****? A drink or two (say an hour face to face) would be much more informative than weeks of inane messaging.

Interesting how RD56 is at once utterly repulsed but yet beguilingly compelled by the immoral pheromone furnace of online dating :p

I bet he has a Tinder Triple Titanium Membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Nothing beats the thrill of the chase. Give me going up and talking to woman in a bar over online apps and swipes any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I suppose if you're not into the bars and clubs then online dating is the only other option, apart from singles nights, but they're generally only in Dublin. Hobbies and interests can only take you so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nothing beats the thrill of the chase. Give me going up and talking to woman in a bar over online apps and swipes any day.

They're not mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

I suppose if you're not into the bars and clubs then online dating is the only other option, apart from singles nights, but they're generally only in Dublin. Hobbies and interests can only take you so far.

There are many, many other ways of meeting people than in bars and clubs...this is exactly what is wrong with dating in Ireland.
    Meet someone you are interested in through a hobby or friends, work, maybe a neighbour you run into while out walking your dog and shock horror ask them on a date or shock horror tell them you are interested in them and would like to get to know them better. This concept seems to scare the sh*t out of Irish people, many seem to think you can only start a relationship with alcohol involved.

I agree, if there's no spark its going nowhere. The thing is though you do get women who have been on 10 or more 1st dates and didnt find a spark with any guy, I wonder is there a point where a woman should say to themselves maybe I should give it another date to see if a spark develops or is leaving it and moving on the best option. I think for both men and women there's a danger of continuing to chase after a better option when you already have a good option.. but then again you cant settle, the right option can be tricky. I find it interesting as sometimes you can go for a few drinks with someone and have a good time and then its a question of did I have a good time because I really liked her or did I just have a good time as it was nice to have a few mid week drinks.

Yes meeting people in real life is far more exciting and natural but the person you meet is likely already online dating anyway and sure people should be doing real life and online anyway. Ultimately it comes down to convenience, you can swipe while on the bus or while you wait for the kettle to boil. Also you definitely meet people online that you would never meet in real life. Tinder and Bumble are full of people who are interesting, fun, intelligent and good looking, you just have to weed through the crap to find them. I don't see anything forced or awkward, its just meeting real people a different way.

You will get men on there that are d*ckheads or after a quick ride but you just have to develop a thick skin and ignore these. Usually these d*ckheads are d*ckheads in real life too. Most people online are decent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Only signed up for tinder today and you now have to pay too see who likes you ..yeah good luck with that .deleted it already

it hasnt changed really. originally you could only see who you matched with when you actually matched with them. now you can pay to see who swiped right on you - without you matching with them

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Interesting how RD56 is at once utterly repulsed but yet beguilingly compelled by the immoral pheromone furnace of online dating :p

I bet he has a Tinder Triple Titanium Membership.

I'm not compelled by anything just asking a fair question.

I must be so out of touch at this stage I don't realise that weeks of inane messaging is how all the hip folk do things these days.

Chatting and getting to know someone over text is hardly inane. Can't imagine anything worse myself than going to meet someone I know nothing about other than you both swiped in the same direction on the carefully selected pictures you both put on your profiles.

• Advertisement

This concept seems to scare the sh*t out of Irish people, many seem to think you can only start a relationship with alcohol involved.

Sadly some men are lost without a bit of liquid courage :o

People do realise that there's a real woman at the other end of these online encounters don't they? (53yr overweight male Russian Catfish excluded obviously!)

The end goal remains the same as it was in time of olde.... Mutual frenzied groping followed by unwanted pregnancies and years of disgruntled servitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There are many, many other ways of meeting people than in bars and clubs...this is exactly what is wrong with dating in Ireland.
    Meet someone you are interested in through a hobby or friends, work, maybe a neighbour you run into while out walking your dog and shock horror ask them on a date or shock horror tell them you are interested in them and would like to get to know them better. This concept seems to scare the sh*t out of Irish people, many seem to think you can only start a relationship with alcohol involved.

Some people would prefer to keep professional life separate in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Can confirm. Have used dating apps, and as a direct result have indulged in some wonderfully depraved degeneracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I met my OH in real life a couple of days after we messaged on a dating website. It was (and still is!) exciting to meet him. I couldn't get excited by someone approaching me in a club just before last orders because he is tanked up on liquid courage and doesn't want to go home alone.

I haven't done Tinder but I did have one guy send me abusive messages when I cancelled a first date. But, that guy is clearly a weirdo and would have been weird and abusive regardless of the platform we met on. Dating sites are simply a platform to meet people on - you don't conduct your relationship on them, and if you do there is something wrong with you. Once we met "in real life" our relationship travelled the usual path of any other relationship and the fact that we met online has had no bearing on that.

TBH I didn't have time to go out trying to "find" someone in a bar, club or hobby. My hobbies are for me - I'm not there to pull :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I've deleted them all, met someone on one and all was going good until she ghosted me a day after asking me would I consider being with her, text her after a week told her it was fun and to text me whenever, no point getting upset over it but cant be arsed getting emotionally involved again for a while.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Some people would prefer to keep professional life separate in fairness

As would I, personally wouldn't be up to dating someone I work with but it's a way to meet people. If you meet someone in real life and you are interested in them then you decide what you do about it. My whole post was about meeting someone through another aspect and realising you are interested in them rather than going searching for someone.
    Antares35 wrote: »

TBH I didn't have time to go out trying to "find" someone in a bar, club or hobby. My hobbies are for me - I'm not there to pull :D

As above.

If you are trying to 'find' someone to date is a bizarre concept to me. I don't understand it, the obsession some people have with always being with someone or always having dates lined up is vomit inducing to me. Rather not be dating anyone than date someone just for the sake of it.
    I've never been one to seek out a date or do or go to something in the hope I meet someone, things always just happen...online and bars and clubs(with the specific intent of 'pulling') would never work for me. That's just me, everyone is different in their approach.

As would I, personally wouldn't be up to dating someone I work with but it's a way to meet people. If you meet someone in real life and you are interested in them then you decide what you do about it. My whole post was about meeting someone through another aspect and realising you are interested in them rather than going searching for someone.

As above.

If you are trying to 'find' someone to date is a bizarre concept to me. I don't understand it, the obsession some people have with always being with someone or always having dates lined up is vomit inducing to me. Rather not be dating anyone than date someone just for the sake of it.
    I've never been one to seek out a date or do or go to something in the hope I meet someone, things always just happen...online and bars and clubs(with the specific intent of 'pulling') would never work for me. That's just me, everyone is different in their approach.

If you were single and wanted to meet someone with a vew of potentially starting a relationship, are you really saying you wouldn't do anything to better your odds of that?

Because a lax "it'll just happen by itself" attitude is exactly when gets people panicking when prince charming doesn't break in their bedroom window.
    You don't usually just come across someone who interests you & who you are compatible with by accident.
    You have to be open it and put yourself into situations where you might widen your circle and meet new people.

For someone who lacks the social circle for nights out and group outings, dating apps offer them an alternative way to meet someone.
    Most people I know who are actively looking to meet someone use a combination of real life effort as well as online effort.
    A lot of it is down to the luck of meeting the right person at the right time, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not compelled by anything just asking a fair question.

I must be so out of touch at this stage I don't realise that weeks of inane messaging is how all the hip folk do things these days.

Yes let's go back to the old days when no one had sex or spoke to members of the opposite sex and if you weren't married by 25 you were past it and probably the best thing that might happen is a priest might suck you off. I was single for 4 years and if it wasn't for online dating I would very rarely have met any women, OD allowed me to go out with a diff woman every week if I wanted, it's the best thing to happen to single folk ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Yes let's go back to the old days when no one had sex or spoke to members of the opposite sex and if you weren't married by 25 you were past it and probably the best thing that might happen is a priest might suck you off. I was single for 4 years and if it wasn't for online dating I would very rarely have met any women, OD allowed me to go out with a diff woman every week if I wanted, it's the best thing to happen to single folk ever.

Eh, priests generally prefer to suck off lads that are FAR younger than 25!

• Advertisement
Advertisement