Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Charging - Explained

Options
  • 29-09-2019 11:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

Maybe the more informed can explain this to me and anybody that may be searching in the future.

I have a wireless charging pad on my locker. It’s a basic 5V-2A input and 5V-1A output.

Now, I know it takes ages to charge as such but it’s a night stand so I place it down when going to bed and it charges over night.

If I’m in. A hurry and I’m low on battery I know the best thing to do would be to plug into the charging brick and cable that came with the phone (currently 11 Pro), so I can do that to get the max charge possible.

But I suppose what I’m asking is, what’s the wireless charging protocol. What’s the best or average charging pad as j have to pick up another one anyway.

What do the charging speeds, figures mean?

Note. You’d think I should know this considering I drive an EV and can explain that process. I problem :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

As far as a recommendation goes, this ESR one is great! I got it for beside my bed at night and it was so good I got a second for the work desk. It’s 7.5/10w and has fast charge capability.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07856GC4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q-lKDbP05BYPW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The adapter you have in the box is an 18W USB C fast charger - and as you say is your best bet when in a hurry.

The wireless chargers usually average out around 7.5W which is more than enough for an overnight charge or general go to during the day if you’re not stuck for something faster.

You also have a new setting in iOS 13 for optimised charging. Which waits to charge the phone past 80% only when it thinks you need it based on machine learning. This can be very handy when charging overnight for general battery health.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheers.
    Read up a bit on it today.

Rumours that Apple restricted the wireless charging to 7.5w in iOS 13.

Advertisement