Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef stew- what stout?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

machaseh wrote: »
    I've had better and worse irish stews, ranging from a very mediocre one in temple bar to a very good one on Inisheer island, but I would prefer our own recipe any day.

Now we would usually not put the vegetables and potatoes IN the stew, but would rather boil them separately and serve on the side. I don't mind them being in the stew either though. The main thing is the lack of flavour in the Irish stew compared to our own one.

We also have various other beef and other stew recipes all of which are much better than the Irish stew.

Hazepeper made with wild hare (a bit expensive though)
    Hachee made with beef but a WHOLE lot of sliced onions (more of a workers dish)
    Zoervleisj which has a more sweet n sour-ish taste. It was traditionally made with horse but nowadays we would mostly use beef.
    Stewed rabbits
    Snert which is a thick green pea soup with loads of meats and sausage and vegetables in it for winter

Etc.

Of course I understand that Ireland being historically a super poor nation didn't have the same access to delicious spices that we had historically but it shows in the end result.

Can you not just make your suggestions about possible other dishes without being so rude about Irish food and stews?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can you not just make your suggestions about possible other dishes without being so rude about Irish food and stews?

Doesn't seem to be able to do that.
    Possibly because they are the type of person who's opinions are actually facts, while everyone else's opinions are just opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Doesn't seem to be able to do that.
    Possibly because they are the type of person who's opinions are actually facts, while everyone else's opinions are just opinions.

Would understand if they were French or Italian...

RasTa wrote: »
    Guinness Extra stout my fav. Also, use beef cheeks
    Also, beef cheeks are rather inexpensive, if sometimes difficult to source. Shin is a good substitute.

shin is superior to cheeks, imo. Melts in your mouth practically if done correctly.
    Dunkleweiss (eg, Erdinger dunkle) can be lovely in a stew, or a dark Belgian ale.

Never even thought of using a dunkelbier. Will definitely give it a bash. Carrig brewing do a lovely black IPA called Coalface. Has anyone ever used a pale ale or IPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I find beef cheeks to be a bit too beefy (is that a thing?!). They are incredibly deep in flavour so I wonder would they work alongside stewing beef to even out the flavour a bit.

• Advertisement

I find beef cheeks to be a bit too beefy (is that a thing?!). They are incredibly deep in flavour so I wonder would they work alongside stewing beef to even out the flavour a bit.

Cheeks are very beefy, alright.
    Shin might be for you.
    I don't see why you couldn't mix them although you might have slightly different cooking times.

Stew in the oven now.
    Buffalo shin. Cut rings on the bone, well browned.
    Onion, celery, carrot, leek, garlic, couple of slices of ginger, fresh herbs: bayleaf, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage.
    Tin of tomatoes, red wine.
    Oven for about 3 hours 140C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Feeling inspired by this thread, I stuck a stew on myself last night.

Base of smoked lardons, onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Then diced stewing beef (no shin to be had sadly), chunky carrots, mushrooms halved and fried in butter, beef stock, passata, beer, thyme, bay, worcestershire sauce, dash of sugar, s&p, and cooked on low for 4 hours.

Going to enjoy it tonight with mash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The only good food the Dutch do is those stroopwaffle things. The rest is meh, like the German rubbish.

RasTa wrote: »
    The only good food the Dutch do is those stroopwaffle things. The rest is meh, like the German rubbish.

Saying something like that about any cuisine is just ignorant.
    Isn't that what the Dutch, arrogant chap was doing? When people say stuff like this, usually they are just displaying that they don't really know anything about the cuisine in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Feck it..... ye have wanting to make a stew now!!!

So off to butchers soon and then Tesco for veg anf O'haras (if none... Kilkenny)

And some baby potatoes and brown bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Always shin but in cut in large fist sized pieces with at least one per serving. Personally I do not like stout in my strew and use a lighter beer or ale but red nwine would be my first choice. Most important ingredient however is good lardons!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Look for Leann Follain .

This

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Masala wrote: »
    Feck it..... ye have wanting to make a stew now!!!

So off to butchers soon and then Tesco for veg anf O'haras (if none... Kilkenny)

And some baby potatoes and brown bread!

Right..... made this with Stewing Beef from butcher. Used 2 x bottles if o'haras leann stout. They in Tesco at €2.99 a bottle. Tried some in a glass myself before throwing into the stew.... didn't like it to be truthful!

However... the stew was fabulous. Did need a top up of a pint of OXO to keep enough liquid in the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Stew in the oven now.
    Buffalo shin. Cut rings on the bone, well browned.
    Onion, celery, carrot, leek, garlic, couple of slices of ginger, fresh herbs: bayleaf, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage.
    Tin of tomatoes, red wine.
    Oven for about 3 hours 140C

Where did you get the Buffalo shin beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Guinness west indies porter works well.

limnam wrote: »
    Where did you get the Buffalo shin beer?

O'mahony's in the English Market regularly have buffalo. You wouldn't tell it apart from beef - just extra tasty beef. Priced the same as beef, too.

Advertisement