Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That’s mental.

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There was a fish & poultry shop called Geraghty's in Marlborough Street for years. As a child I hated passing it because they sold boiling fowl. They were scrawny, miserable looking yellow chickens and they had them piled in the window.

There was a fish & poultry shop called Geraghty's in Marlborough Street for years. As a child I hated passing it because they sold boiling fowl. They were scrawny, miserable looking yellow chickens and they had them piled in the window.

Young cockerels. They only let them live for food. Too many males hatch.. When I had chickens and hatched clutches my farmer neighbour used to ….. and they made delicious soup. When I was in Orkney the local shop sold them for £1. I gave him " birded" eggs when I had brought a new cockerel in to dilute his stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

There's cooked and raw food on the same display; an absolute guaranteed way to get very sick very fast.

People did die from food poisoning at a vastly higher rate in the past.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Am I the only one who hates chocolate? Doesn't matter if it's white, milk, or dark. It all taste like **** to me personally.

I prefer sour sweets like Haribo Gummy worms.

My 2 year old likes the idea of chocolate, but won't really eat it.
    He would take your hand off for jellies though.....they are his addiction.
    Personal taste.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There's cooked and raw food on the same display; an absolute guaranteed way to get very sick very fast.

Oh OK. We bought from markets like that when I was a child and much later ( and the prices on that display are in euros) and never a problem. Never knew anyone dying either.

They are in separate containers?

That was in England.

Oh OK. We bought from markets like that when I was a child and much later ( and the prices on that display are in euros) and never a problem. Never knew anyone dying either.

They are in separate containers?

That was in England.

The prices in display are very clearly in £ and p.

They're all on a single open unrefrigerated display.

Things like this became illegal for a reason, not for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

and the prices on that display are in euros)
    Its in punts, it's apparently from Moore Street in 1972, I did a reverse image search when it was first posted.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/10/10/when-less-was-moore/

I was wondering what year it was as I was always told chickens costed a lot when I was young but do not remember.

I am always curious about prices, this says a pint of guinness was 18p back in 1972, thats a lot of pints per chicken!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-year-when-the-paper-cost-sixpence-and-guinness-was-rationed-1.344170

I also wondered if people would have reheated them to kill anything, or was it just not really known or worried about back then.

rubadub wrote: »

I also wondered if people would have reheated them to kill anything, or was it just not really known or worried about back then.

A lot of the white meat on the chickens was probably eaten cold straight away.

Nobody had microwaves (they existed, but were mainly commercial), nobody would really have bothered doing it any other way; but some of it would have ended up in soups or whatever and hence get re-cooked.

rubadub wrote: »
    Its in punts, it's apparently from Moore Street in 1972, I did a reverse image search when it was first posted.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/10/10/when-less-was-moore/

I was wondering what year it was as I was always told chickens costed a lot when I was young but do not remember.

I am always curious about prices, this says a pint of guinness was 18p back in 1972, thats a lot of pints per chicken!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-year-when-the-paper-cost-sixpence-and-guinness-was-rationed-1.344170

Chickens were very expensive in the UK and not readily available battery farming came in. We only ever had chicken once a year, for Christmas.

And sure we knew about food hygiene. None of us were ever ill from food poisoning. Before we had fridges etc we had a meat safe outside in a shady place. A box on stilts with fine mesh sides for the air to cool. And a pantry with a deep cold shelf.

We shopped more often and ate less meat also. Also we used more of what they call these days the " cheaper cuts" which needed long cooking, Many kept their own hens. Of course we knew the dangers. Bad food had the same effects then as now . And were very careful. It was not the dark ages! lol..
    Probably more careful than now. As it is easier now.

But I was raised in England. I still see chicken as a luxury and even when I used to eat meat it was seldom and little and the cheapest cuts.

I only ever had food poisoning once in my entire long life and that was a cream cake someone served me at university.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Do you have stats on that please? Thank you. It was not the dark ages. We knew and were careful

I clearly do not belong in this forum with my old fashioned ways! But these wrong ideas re the past really are very offensive. We were not ignorant or unheeding.

Signing out. I am too old for this.

[/B]

Do you have stats on that please? Thank you. It was not the dark ages. We knew and were careful

I clearly do not belong in this forum with my old fashioned ways! But these wrong ideas re the past really are very offensive. We were not ignorant or unheeding.

Signing out. I am too old for this.

US figures - https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4840a1.htm

Food poisoning deaths (and severe incidences of food poisoning that don't cause death) have gone off a cliff since the 1980s due to proper food hygeine rules. The 1970s WERE the dark ages in those terms.

Meat safes and cool shelfs in pantries are not actually sufficiently cold enough; and that's why people don't use them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

[/B]

even when I used to eat meat it was seldom and little and the cheapest cuts.

But you do eat meat?? Often see you post about your meals mentioning sausage, cottage pie etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh dear.
    I'm sad to say, I don't think we'll be hearing from Graces7 for a while.
    Her posts are very popular but, unfortunately, someone has, inadvertently, upset her again.

Graces7, don't disappear again, please. People like you and your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

She does a flounce any time the wildly contradictory content of her posts is pointed out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Question (and please don't crucify me!):
    What would be a good replacement for mushrooms in a beef stroganoff?

I love beef stroganoff, but I've been having pretty bad physical reactions to mushrooms lately, so cutting them out of my diet. This will be my first time making beef stroganoff without mushrooms though :/ If I just cut them out completely I'm left with only meat and onion. Is there any other veg I can throw in that would work?

I'm not a fan of side salads, I much prefer cooked veg. But doing boiled veg on the side is a little boring.

Any suggestions for another veg I can throw into the pot or a slightly more exciting way to do veg on the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

woodchuck wrote: »
    Question (and please don't crucify me!):
    What would be a good replacement for mushrooms in a beef stroganoff?

I love beef stroganoff, but I've been having pretty bad physical reactions to mushrooms lately, so cutting them out of my diet. This will be my first time making beef stroganoff without mushrooms though :/ If I just cut them out completely I'm left with only meat and onion. Is there any other veg I can throw in that would work?

I'm not a fan of side salads, I much prefer cooked veg. But doing boiled veg on the side is a little boring.

Any suggestions for another veg I can throw into the pot or a slightly more exciting way to do veg on the side?

Try some beans, whichever type you like, Cannellini beans would work.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Try some beans, whichever type you like.

Yeah I was thinking possibly butterbeans might work... they shouldn't impact the flavour, but would add a bit of extra texture?

I wouldn't mind adding something green, but just can't think of anything that would work for a stroganoff! Maybe peas :/ Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

Yeah I was thinking possibly butterbeans might work... they shouldn't impact the flavour, but would add a bit of extra texture?

I wouldn't mind adding something green, but just can't think of anything that would work for a stroganoff!

There is plenty of types to give that extra bit instead of mushrooms. I just thought about chestnuts, could work.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

There is plenty of types to give that extra bit instead of mushrooms. I just thought about chestnuts, could work.

Oh interesting! I've never cooked with chestnuts before, but imagine they'd add a similar earthy kind of flavour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/d...er-recipe.html

going to try this at the weekend - looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Try some beans, whichever type you like, Cannellini beans would work.

I'm not sure I'd put beans in a stroganoff, tbh.

I can't stand mushrooms, have always made my stroganoff with red peppers and sliced cornichons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Have you thought about boiling them in bouillon/stock/broth, instead of water? It makes them more flavoursome, potatoes especially. If you've stuff like cauliflowers or broccoli, you could add some white sauce with nutmeg. You could stick them in the oven to roast them. Or you could add spices, or garlic to the cooking water. You can sautée them, too.

If this work week ever ends, I'll pm you some other suggestions, Woodie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

New Home wrote: »
    Have you thought about boiling them in bouillon/stock/broth, instead of water? It makes them more flavoursome, potatoes especially. If you've stuff like cauliflowers or broccoli, you could add some white sauce with nutmeg. You could stick them in the oven to roast them. Or you could add spices, or garlic to the cooking water. You can sautée them, too.

If this work week ever ends, I'll pm you some other suggestions, Woodie.

Please just post them on thread, as I'm sure other posters would be interested too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dball wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/d...er-recipe.html

going to try this at the weekend - looks great

Link not working. What was it meant to be? (I have nothing planned for tomorrow’s dinner yet! :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A mix of steamed green beans, mangetout, sugarsnap peas, garden peas - either all or some of them would be nice. Because they go cold quickly I usually put a vinaigrette on them, and often it's a Tesco or Hellmans one. Or just a squirt of lemon juice and a dash of olive oil. I think they'd go well with stroganoff.

Decided to make a 'slightly' spicy sauce for meatballs today - onions, garlic, tomato, oregano, lemon juice - and what I assumed would be two quite mild long chillis from Lidl. So I left the seeds in. Sure supermarket long chillis have no heat....

Oops.

Would usually end up having to spice the final sauce up a bit at the end but this was almost as hot as some of my proper lamb curries get. I have never, ever had long chillis that hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

52p is obviously Euros?

Strange catching up on the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody else notice how watery Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce has become? Even when you shake it up it’s still extremely watery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody else notice how watery Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce has become? Even when you shake it up it’s still extremely watery.

:eek: I don’t think they’d mess with a recipe that old. Would they?

Advertisement